Official *MLB Season Delayed* Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madducks View Post
    On the bright side, the Pirates won't lose 100 games this year.
    Don't get ahead of yourself, we may still get 100 games in

Comment

If we're looking at late summer before things get back to semi-normal, we'd need to look at some creative ideas ... how about a March Madness type of tournament for all teams - each round is best of 5 games (can't start the same starter twice) ... would take 5 rounds / 25 days, plus a few days off sprinkled in ...
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        On the bright side, the Pirates won't lose 100 games this year.
        Neither will the Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          With news that the CDC says there should be no crowds of 50 people for 2 months, there goes any hope of baseball starting anytime soon.

They would need 2 weeks to prepare, so we’re looking at June 1 at the earliest. They could still get a 100-game season in with a June 1st start.

But I’m quickly getting less and less optimistic.
          Chin up. I heard on MLB Radio that they could extend the season into December (that's what I heard, tho November makes more sense) which gives a pretty big buffer on the other side.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            Chin up. I heard on MLB Radio that they could extend the season into December (that's what I heard, tho November makes more sense) which gives a pretty big buffer on the other side.
            I can't believe the players would go for this given the short turn-around for next season. And the northern teams wouldn't either. I am afraid that the Tigers won't lose any games this year.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
              I can't believe the players would go for this given the short turn-around for next season. And the northern teams wouldn't either. I am afraid that the Tigers won't lose any games this year.
              Who knows what anyone will go for at this point ? No one has ever been thru this before
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              ---------------------------------------------
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

They'll do it if the alternative is losing a season worth of salary...money always talks in sports, on all sides. Most players train almost full time anyway, so it won't be too much to just make their training an actual Spring training.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Too many players will start testing positive given the delay. This might be taken out of MLB's hands. You can't start the season when there is a decent chance that entire teams have to go on the IL indefinitely.

Comment

Too many players will start testing positive given the delay. This might be taken out of MLB's hands. You can't start the season when there is a decent chance that entire teams have to go on the IL indefinitely.
                    I'm fearing it's the minor leaguers who will start testing positive in droves, since they don't have any money and need to work normal people jobs, and may not have the health care options available to major leaguers. How can teams proceed if there's no minor leaguers ready to call up?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      How can teams proceed if there's no minor leaguers ready to call up?
                      The Pirates were already in that situation even before the Coronavirus became a thing.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

So we're killing the global economy for a 48-hour bug?

FROM ROTOWORLD:
                        The Yankees have confirmed that a second minor leaguer has tested positive for coronavirus.
                        The player was under self-quarantine when he reported to the club that he had a fever and fatigue. That prompted the test on Sunday, which came back positive for COVID-19. The Yankees say that the player's symptoms have dissipated over the last 48 hours.

Comment

we are killing economy to stretch out spread of a pandemic, that left unchecked will kill millions. borrowing a link posted by dmt last night, https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/sta...643357696?s=19
                          this virus targets elderly and those with compromised immune systems. the young are virtually immune, but would still be carriers. a pro athlete would shrug off effects felt like rain off a ducks back. the player would infect his 50 year old father, who would feel like he got hit by a super flu and laid out for 2 weeks. the players 75 year old grandfather may end up in icu needing ventilator.

Comment

Yahoo! Fantasy has updated the season start date to 5/7 based on "the latest information". I don't see anything official from MLB.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

ZERO chance of that happening, alas
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                                So we're killing the global economy for a 48-hour bug?
                                Not sure if serious.

Comment

Working...
                                X