Nullnor is amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nullnor is amazing

It feels like Nullnor has been on Rotojunkie forever. I've long treasured his posts, his stories about animal interactions, his unique perspectives on all kinds of things. I've long thought he should have his own forum, because Nullnor posts are one of a kind.

I worry about the alcoholism. I know everybody has coping mechanisms, and I'm trying not to be judgmental. As a former alcoholic myself, 9 years sober, I wanted to share my perspective.

I should note at this point, I would have preferred to send Nullnor a PM, but he doesn't use that feature. I would hate to think that our community pushed someone out without reaching out over one drunken rant. Everybody has racist thoughts because we live in a racist society. Being impaired lowers our inhibition to share those thoughts we know are provocative. I wish we could go into issues of racism regarding South Korean dog meat festivals, Asian bat soup, etc. The racism based on a fear of cultures killing different uniquely special animals is super common, Nullnor isn't alone in that sentiment. His long-standing belief in the emotional and intellectual capacity of animals make him uniquely vulnerable to adopt this racist narrative.

At my peak, I was drinking about 12 beers per day. Light days would be 6-8, heavy days would be 15-20. It was incredibly tiring, and I could barely function for work. Also very expensive. But I remember when I started compromising what I wanted to do to drink more, I would leave a show to get to the liquor store before 11 (as all booze sales were shut down after 11), and other compromises, woke up next to girls I had zero recollection meeting, etc... I got to the point of playing private detective for myself, asking around about what I said or did, as I was blacking out constantly. When my definition of how I was living changed from "functional alcoholism" to dysfunctional, I made a choice to quit cold turkey for 1 year. And I never went back.

But in that year I also did magic mushrooms about 50 times, and gradually shifted more towards smoking pot, which I now smoke a ton of, nearly every single day. So I'm not claiming to have cured myself of a dependency on substances. But I wanted to share my path to semi-functionality.

Nullnor, you're a Hall of Famer for this site in my books. I hope you stick around.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    It feels like Nullnor has been on Rotojunkie forever. I've long treasured his posts, his stories about animal interactions, his unique perspectives on all kinds of things. I've long thought he should have his own forum, because Nullnor posts are one of a kind.

I worry about the alcoholism. I know everybody has coping mechanisms, and I'm trying not to be judgmental. As a former alcoholic myself, 9 years sober, I wanted to share my perspective.

I should note at this point, I would have preferred to send Nullnor a PM, but he doesn't use that feature. I would hate to think that our community pushed someone out without reaching out over one drunken rant. Everybody has racist thoughts because we live in a racist society. Being impaired lowers our inhibition to share those thoughts we know are provocative. I wish we could go into issues of racism regarding South Korean dog meat festivals, Asian bat soup, etc. The racism based on a fear of cultures killing different uniquely special animals is super common, Nullnor isn't alone in that sentiment. His long-standing belief in the emotional and intellectual capacity of animals make him uniquely vulnerable to adopt this racist narrative.

At my peak, I was drinking about 12 beers per day. Light days would be 6-8, heavy days would be 15-20. It was incredibly tiring, and I could barely function for work. Also very expensive. But I remember when I started compromising what I wanted to do to drink more, I would leave a show to get to the liquor store before 11 (as all booze sales were shut down after 11), and other compromises, woke up next to girls I had zero recollection meeting, etc... I got to the point of playing private detective for myself, asking around about what I said or did, as I was blacking out constantly. When my definition of how I was living changed from "functional alcoholism" to dysfunctional, I made a choice to quit cold turkey for 1 year. And I never went back.

But in that year I also did magic mushrooms about 50 times, and gradually shifted more towards smoking pot, which I now smoke a ton of, nearly every single day. So I'm not claiming to have cured myself of a dependency on substances. But I wanted to share my path to semi-functionality.

Nullnor, you're a Hall of Famer for this site in my books. I hope you stick around.
    I like Nullnor too. And I noted that.

"Pushed someone out"? Are you serious TW? Did you read the thread or just throwing out more bullshit? No one pushed him out. He showed him self the door, which was unfortunate.

And apologizing for alcoholism shows compassion, which I would get behind for sure. But it doesn't seem consistent with your hardline stance against racism in other places (which, of note, I also agree with).
    Last edited by Ken; 03-03-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I am hesitant to comment candidly, because I do not want to say something hurtful....but I've never known how to take nullnor's posts. They are often really out there, but at the same time often interesting, looking at things as if upside down, sideways, and through a kaleidoscope. He is a unique character and i appreciate his presence and perspectives. I have always assumed he was what some would call "eccentric," if he were rich, and maybe something else since he is not. The alcohol angle makes a lot of sense too in addition to or maybe part of the situation. Because of who he seems to be, nothing he says ever offends me. Even though I saw those comments and Ken and others were right to call them out--they were over the top, even for nullnor--I just do not take a nullnor post the same way I do anyone else's, like ever, on any forum, anywhere. Has anyone met nullnor irl? Maybe my sense of his uniqueness is overblown, and he is just a regular bloke whose mind operates like us normies who just purposefully posts in an odd way and should be held accountable in the way the rest of us here our. But that is not my far away, "I don't actually know him" sense of it.

Comment

I only deleted his posts that others complained about. I did not ban nor suspend him, and he is welcome here anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I am hesitant to comment candidly, because I do not want to say something hurtful....but I've never known how to take nullnor's posts. They are often really out there, but at the same time often interesting, looking at things as if upside down, sideways, and through a kaleidoscope. He is a unique character and i appreciate his presence and perspectives. I have always assumed he was what some would call "eccentric," if he were rich, and maybe something else since he is not. The alcohol angle makes a lot of sense too in addition to or maybe part of the situation. Because of who he seems to be, nothing he says ever offends me. Even though I saw those comments and Ken and others were right to call them out--they were over the top, even for nullnor--I just do not take a nullnor post the same way I do anyone else's, like ever, on any forum, anywhere. Has anyone met nullnor irl? Maybe my sense of his uniqueness is overblown, and he is just a regular bloke whose mind operates like us normies who just purposefully posts in an odd way and should be held accountable in the way the rest of us here our. But that is not my far away, "I don't actually know him" sense of it.
          I come from almost exactly the same perspective.

My issue was with the "you can't tell me not to be racist, we're all adults, don't censor me, PC culture" rant that followed when feral slasher noted that it should be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I like Nullnor too. And I noted that.

"Pushed someone out"? Are you serious TW? Did you read the thread or just throwing out more bullshit? No one pushed him out. He showed him self the door, which was unfortunate.

And apologizing for alcoholism shows compassion, which I would get behind for sure. But it doesn't seem consistent with your hardline stance against racism in other places (which, of note, I also agree with).
            Having a "hardline stance against racism" is an interesting concept. How do we expect Nullnor to learn anything if we shut everything down? He admitted to being drunk when he made the comments. His reasoning is based on his very unique understanding of animal cruelty. I think he is wrong on that too, as I'm a vegan who thinks all animals have value not in their meat or skins, furs, etc, but that's a whole other can of worms.

I'm not saying we should indulge racist dialogue, but at least be specific about why these stereotypes are prevalent, how they originate and take root, and why they're wrong, etc. I've personally seen Facebook friends post many times on the South Korean dog meat festival, or saying "China stop eating weird shit" as a culturally fearful response to coronavirus... it's a complex issue worthy of discussion.

I personally forgive Nullnor for the outburst. I would hope that he could have the emotional intelligence to learn and grow from his own commentary. I started the thread as a way of expressing that hope.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I come from almost exactly the same perspective.

My issue was with the "you can't tell me not to be racist, we're all adults, don't censor me, PC culture" rant that followed when feral slasher noted that it should be removed.
              I get that, for sure. At the same time--and not to minimize the original offensive comments--I could not help but laugh at the absurdity of his response to you, Ken. I mean, he ASKED to be engaged, taught, educated, enlightened. Then, when challenged, he immediately attacks you for doing it. I don't mean to offend if he really pissed you off, but I laughed at the absurdity of it. I am not sure if it is purposeful performance comedy, drunkenness or something else. But part of me could not help find the over-the-top back in my day, you guys are pussies, how dare you do what i said to do, get off my lawn response absurd to the point of amusement. Part of me thought it was self-aware and trolling. Part of me thought it was chemically induced. I really do not know, like I never know with his posts. All I know, and again, this may be because of how I perceive him, my response to it was not outrage or anger, but laughter. If he were anyone else, I'd have been pissed.

ETA: and to TW's point, maybe laughter was not the right response. Maybe nullnor does need help with substance abuse. If so, I hope he gets it.

Comment

Having a "hardline stance against racism" is an interesting concept.
                What's interesting about it exactly? Do you find yourself as someone who tends to forgive racism? From your posts you seem like someone who doesn't put up with it.

If you changed the racial sterotypes to those against another culture, say brown vs black vs white, or even a LGBTQ issue, or a misogynistic type remark would you still be willing to flippantly brush it to the side? If so, a lot of what you post on this board doesn't make any sense at all. You are not forgiving of ignorance when it comes to racism, and honestly that's a trait that is something I can respect. You care about the topic and I respect you for that.

It's amazing to me that of all the people on this site that I'd have to tell you the guy who carries the flag against racism that it's never okay to post that kind of garbage.

How do we expect Nullnor to learn anything if we shut everything down?
                Again with this bullshit. No one shut him down. You read posts with such biased views against certain people that you don't even take 2 seconds to create a logical thought. Enough with the garbage TW. Use your brain.

Nullnor posted a bunch of sterotypical racist garbage against a particular culture. He even started out the post by saying he's racist. Then, when feral said that it should be deleted he threw a fit and said we are all adults and it's PC culture to censor him basically. I responded saying it's not okay to spread racist sterotypes. And then he said he's showing himself out and noted that we are a bunch racist MFers apparently.

How the hell is that someone else "shutting him down"?

He admitted to being drunk when he made the comments.
                He did? Where? Honestly I have not seen that.

And to be clear, are you saying that drunkeness is an excuse for racism?

His reasoning is based on his very unique understanding of animal cruelty. I think he is wrong on that too, as I'm a vegan who thinks all animals have value not in their meat or skins, furs, etc, but that's a whole other can of worms.
                I'm not sure talking about a particular culture "getting an erection" based on killing certain animals is relevant to any reasonable discussion.

I'm not saying we should indulge racist dialogue
                And that's really the whole point I made too. It's never okay

but at least be specific about why these stereotypes are prevalent, how they originate and take root, and why they're wrong, etc. I've personally seen Facebook friends post many times on the South Korean dog meat festival, or saying "China stop eating weird shit" as a culturally fearful response to coronavirus... it's a complex issue worthy of discussion.
                Sure, lets discuss it, no problem with that.

I personally forgive Nullnor for the outburst. I would hope that he could have the emotional intelligence to learn and grow from his own commentary. I started the thread as a way of expressing that hope.
                And I would agree. I like nullnor. My issue here is the concept that I apparently "pushed him out". That's not what happened and you know it, but you are coming from a very biased past against certain posters and you are showing your ass here.
                Last edited by Ken; 03-03-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I get that, for sure. At the same time--and not to minimize the original offensive comments--I could not help but laugh at the absurdity of his response to you, Ken. I mean, he ASKED to be engaged, taught, educated, enlightened. Then, when challenged, he immediately attacks you for doing it.
                  Yeah, it was a really odd set of back to back posts. I think what is showed is he was using the ignorance angle as an excuse, which is sad. He didn't really want to learn he wanted to be free to say whatever he wanted without recourse, even if it was repulsive/disgusting.

I don't mean to offend if he really pissed you off
                  That's the thing, he didn't piss me off. I look at his posts the same way you do. But they were not okay. They don't belong on this forum, or any forum. It's not okay to spread that kind of racist garbage.

I do not think he *meant* it like it came across, and I do like nullnor and hope he sees the error in this and comes back.

Comment

like others, because of who was posting, i just found it funny. in particular when null was calmly asking cant we share ideas as adults. and when it was pointed out overt racism feeding into tropes was never ok, null had such an over the top reaction. example, i listened to a comedian, a seriously funny guy, who likes his buffalo wings. but if he is given ranch instead of blue cheese he tells server to f their mother. this is such an unreasonable reaction to the wings that it would elicit a chuckle rather than if reaction was dialed back to merely angry rather than insane.

Comment

Hey Nullie, just checking to see if you're ok.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

there will never be a real vaccine for this virus. it might last a year, but it will keep occurring. and then you'll be doing this all over again.

Comment

each one of us are fanatics about something. football, baseball, politics, religion. it's funny that you guys have never really pinned me down about what i am fanatical about. science, biology, time travel, cosmology, sociology, animals, environment, virology, politics. i am a fanatical. and so are everyone. it's like how psychiatrists say everyone in the world has a mental illness. more so these days. fanatical i am not even sure what that means. but i am definitely one, like everyone else.

Comment

collectively we aren't trying to save individual people, what we are trying to do is save our model, our vision of life. we're fighting back. but we aren't winning. it's a model built on selfishness. it's a model that can't be sustained only by random acts of kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                              collectively we aren't trying to save individual people, what we are trying to do is save our model, our vision of life. we're fighting back. but we aren't winning. it's a model built on selfishness. it's a model that can't be sustained only by random acts of kindness.
                              Collectively we have outlived every plague, pandemic, epidemic, war, tornado, earthquake, volcano, famine, and financial collapse. Individually not so much.

It is in the individual acts of kindness that separates us from the rest of living things. Acts of kindness are not conducive to survival of the fittest. Yet here they are and aren't they wonderful. It would be nice if there were more of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X