Talk me out of drinking the eovaldi kool-aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk me out of drinking the eovaldi kool-aid

I am thinking of keeping him for $1 in a 14 teamer that plays like a 16 teamer (he is hitting 100 mph on the radar gun, looking sharp). I have an offer to upgrade that keeper spot with Bryan Reynolds at $5, a clear upgrade, but I have to give Nolan Gorman and my 2nd round prospect draft pick, which is high and should be a decent guy, like Corbin Carroll. We keep 15 and not many guys are looking to move a major leaguer for prospects, and the deadline is tomorrow, so it is probaly roll with Eovaldi or trade for Reynolds. My other 14 keepers are ridiculous--by far the best in the league. I am torn between making it even better or saving the few bullets I have left for in-season deals.

I have to think that Gorman and Corbin Carroll gets you better than Eovaldi in a June deal, no?

Comment

Damn, JC.

Using logic is unfair. I was just going to say the Kool-Aid has been laced with Ex-Lax.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        I have to think that Gorman and Corbin Carroll gets you better than Eovaldi in a June deal, no?
        Well, the question would be if I can get better than Reynolds. I think I can. I just wanted a read on Eovaldi vs Reynolds, and whether dealing the prospects was worth the difference.

Comment

I wouldn't roster Eovaldi in a 14 team mixed. Reynolds, I would.

(note, how does a 14 team league play like a 16?)

The 100 mph note doesn't move the needle for me. He was up over 98 last year and that didn't help him. There's a small chance he turns back into the Eovaldi of old but it's unlikely - I don't see it as a reasonable expectation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Well, the question would be if I can get better than Reynolds. I think I can. I just wanted a read on Eovaldi vs Reynolds, and whether dealing the prospects was worth the difference.
            I really like those two potential prospects, so I’d not do the deal. But I wouldn’t keep Eovaldi either.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Now can get Caleb Smith back or Sandy. Which Marlin pitcher you guys like better?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                I wouldn't roster Eovaldi in a 14 team mixed. Reynolds, I would.

(note, how does a 14 team league play like a 16?)

The 100 mph note doesn't move the needle for me. He was up over 98 last year and that didn't help him. There's a small chance he turns back into the Eovaldi of old but it's unlikely - I don't see it as a reasonable expectation.
                Yeah, I was kidding myself. We roster 30 majors, 20 minors, with two more IL spots, so plays deeper.

Comment

Yeah, I was kidding myself. We roster 30 majors, 20 minors, with two more IL spots, so plays deeper.
                  In my opinion, for the purposes of keeper decisions the "depth" of a league is trying to pinpoint where your replacement level player is - so basically the number of teams x the number of players in the starting lineup. I don't think bench size should be considered. If bench is coming into play, that means the player should be less than a buck at auction.

There's *some* nuance to be considered for larger roster sizes, but I personally don't think it's worth changing a keeper decision. I believe Eovaldi belongs in the reserves in your league, so I would not keep him.

Comment

Now can get Caleb Smith back or Sandy. Which Marlin pitcher you guys like better?
                    Smith

Comment

In my opinion, for the purposes of keeper decisions the "depth" of a league is trying to pinpoint where your replacement level player is - so basically the number of teams x the number of players in the starting lineup. I don't think bench size should be considered. If bench is coming into play, that means the player should be less than a buck at auction.

There's *some* nuance to be considered for larger roster sizes, but I personally don't think it's worth changing a keeper decision. I believe Eovaldi belongs in the reserves in your league, so I would not keep him.
                      Which means you wouldn't take him for a buck?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Which means you wouldn't take him for a buck?
                        It's all relative.

In a 14 team league there are 126 pitchers rostered. Several of those pitchers will be a buck, lets assume at least 1 per team. So you're looking at the ~110th pitcher range for your dollar pitcher. Brendan McKay or Steven Matz or Ross Stripling or Adrian Houser or Jose Quintana --- those type pitchers should be available to me in 14 team auction for around a buck. Maybe a pitcher slightly better than that fell is still out there too. So no, I'm not taking Eovaldi over those guys.

Comment

The other factor is that it is h2h, no cap on innings, so lots of bench spots go to SPs, like a silly number.

Comment

The other factor is that it is h2h, no cap on innings, so lots of bench spots go to SPs, like a silly number.
                            How/why does that change your bidding on the starting lineup though?

Comment

How/why does that change your bidding on the starting lineup though?
                              I feel like a meat eater at a vegetarian convention admitting this, but...it's a a h2h weekly points league. All about accumulating points, and even marginal SPs have an inflated value because of the deep benches and the value of 2 start pitchers.

Comment

Working...
                              X