2k20: JD Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k20: JD Davis

Statcast darling, but how much will he play?

2019 stats: 453 PA, 307/369/527, 22 HR, 57 RBI, 65 R, 3 SB, 8.4% walk rate, 21.4% K rate ... 91st percentile hard hit rate, 90th percentile exit velocity, 97th percentile xBA

ATC projection: 478 PA, .271-20-64-61r-3sb
    Steamer projection: 479 PA, .264-20-64-58r-3sb

The Mets have McNeil slotted to be their everyday 3B, Alonso at 1B, Conforto as their everyday RF and a Nimmo/Marisnick platoon in CF. That leaves LF open for Davis and Cespedes and Dom Smith. Cespedes is supposed to be healthy, but Nimmo and Conforto always seem to get banged up.

Davis is carrying a top 175 ADP that certainly implies higher expectations than his projections say. I think the Mets will find a place to play him. Other than Alonso and Conforto they don't have a ton of guys who belong in the middle of the order (McNeil was born to hit 2nd, and Nimmo makes sense as a leadoff hitter... right now they have Cano hitting 4th and Conforto 6th, so who knows?)

I think something like 540 PA, .285-27-90-70r-2sb ?

If the Mets were smart, they'd move McNeil to 2B and bench Cano.....but we all know the answer to that one, lol.

He just jammed his shoulder, putting his Opening Day status in question, but I like him to get 450-500 ABs this year, with 500 being the absolute best case scenario. He might be overpriced based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      If the Mets were smart, they'd move McNeil to 2B and bench Cano.....but we all know the answer to that one, lol.

He just jammed his shoulder, putting his Opening Day status in question, but I like him to get 450-500 ABs this year, with 500 being the absolute best case scenario. He might be overpriced based on that.
      I am keeping him for $10 in my NL only 5x5 12 team keeper. I will be more than happy if he gets 500 abs.

They have to find a way to play him...don't they?

Comment

He is already banged up. The MRI did not reveal a "ton of inflammation" or any "new injuries," but still not an auspicious beginning to the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I am keeping him for $10 in my NL only 5x5 12 team keeper. I will be more than happy if he gets 500 abs.

They have to find a way to play him...don't they?
          One one hand, he might be their 2nd best hitter.

On the other hand, it's the Mets.

Comment

I worry about his defense, health, Cespedes, but he can hit. just traded my 3rd round prospect pick for him to replace Eovaldi as my 15th keeper. I now have Conforto, McNeil, and him, so loading up on my local team!

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I worry about his defense, health, Cespedes, but he can hit. just traded my 3rd round prospect pick for him to replace Eovaldi as my 15th keeper. I now have Conforto, McNeil, and him, so loading up on my local team!
              Loading up on Mets cannot end well! I would love to have any one of those 3, but all 3? Nah.
              Bearin' up!

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
                Loading up on Mets cannot end well! I would love to have any one of those 3, but all 3? Nah.
                Haha, well, it helps that my other keepers are super studs. My team is loaded and filled with consistent, reliable sorts. The Mets trio represent my risk (well, Conforto is not risky imo, but the other two).

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Haha, well, it helps that my other keepers are super studs. My team is loaded and filled with consistent, reliable sorts. The Mets trio represent my risk (well, Conforto is not risky imo, but the other two).
                  Davis is going to be a monster...I hope.

Comment

I'm high on Davis, but I'm not seeing "monster" in him. I'm seeing a steady reliability with some positional flexibility on a strong offense. I'm seeing a $15-$20 season ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                      I'm high on Davis, but I'm not seeing "monster" in him. I'm seeing a steady reliability with some positional flexibility on a strong offense. I'm seeing a $15-$20 season ahead.
                      I'll take it. I agree. The only thing in his way is health and his poor defense possibly limiting the PAs.

Comment

Davis is one of those studious film guys.

ex-MGR Calloway said that at spring training last year, even as a newcomer Davis was comfortable expressing himself in meetings about nuances he had learned. that boosted his stock for Calloway - and I think boosted his early playing time when he had been considered a fringe guy entering March.

what does that mean? maybe a lower ceiling in the sense of he's not one of these incredible talents and "if he ever just applies himself..." guys. but it also might mean that if he is out of sync, he'll work his ass off to get it straightened out.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I can keep Davis for $6 without giving up anything (on my roster already) for this year, but I am not keeping him because our league has keepers locked in lineup unless suspended (for a long time, i.e. drugs or domestic violence) and I just can't trust his playing time because well, he's a DH/1B with Alonso on the team.

Comment

I don't believe Cespedes' claim that he'll be ready to start the season, but he has $20M worth of incentives this year to get him going.

I think he's toast anyway, but he's a possible issue for Davis. The Mets even have Matt Adams in camp to team with Dom Smith in watching Alonso play 1B every day - and both are bulls in a china shop in the OF. Davis is no ballerina out there, either.

Mets radio beat guy said today he thinks the rotting corpse of Eduardo Nunez - who claims he's finally healthy - has a real shot to make the team. He fits the "stick, no glove" team motto like..... ironically, a glove.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                            X