Does Astros Scandal affect Greinke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Astros Scandal affect Greinke

Any thoughts on whether the Astors scandal will have an effect on Greinke's performance given his social anxiety issues? Could that be the reason he is not in camp? Waiting for things to die down?(which they won't).
    Would that concern cause anyone to select Castillo or Corbin over him?

"Greinke’s disdain for spring training is well-known. The six-time All-Star told the Arizona Republic last February that he thinks the six-week leadup to the season is “too boring.”

Greinke did not report to spring training on time last season, either"

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
      Any thoughts on whether the Astors scandal will have an effect on Greinke's performance given his social anxiety issues? Could that be the reason he is not in camp? Waiting for things to die down?(which they won't).
      Would that concern cause anyone to select Castillo or Corbin over him?
      Castillo and Corbin go way before Greinke on average anyway fyi

Comment

thanks for that Ken. So am I crazy to think that he may just not want to deal with the circus. I know he said his anxiety doesn't affect him on the mound but everywhere else? Seems like a guy that may just say F it. Too paranoid?

Comment

I don't think it's a thing. The Astros pitchers aren't taking it in the pants like the hitters are. I can't imagine he really cares that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I don't think it's a thing. The Astros pitchers aren't taking it in the pants like the hitters are. I can't imagine he really cares that much.
            I agree with you.

Now the next question is how does our competition view Greinke.

In my AL only 12 teamer stud starting pitching is scarce. I am the owner of a $45 Greinke. Tempted to throw him back and see what I can get him for. Unfortunately we have two rebuilders with over $210 as well as others with decent money needing pitching.

Comment

It's a no-brainer for me to throw him back at $45. Extremely deep leagues like a 12 team Only league are about spreading the wealth. Overpaying for an ace is the wrong strategy in my opinion. In that format I'll take 2 second or third tier pitchers over an ace and a $1 lotto ticket every day and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                It's a no-brainer for me to throw him back at $45. Extremely deep leagues like a 12 team Only league are about spreading the wealth. Overpaying for an ace is the wrong strategy in my opinion. In that format I'll take 2 second or third tier pitchers over an ace and a $1 lotto ticket every day and twice on Sunday.
                I assume the league is also a keeper league. I agree with the spread the wealth (or risk) strategy, but this can backfire on you very badly depending on how much $ teams have to spend and the timing on when the SP names are tossed. We had a larger than normal number of good SP available in our 12 team AL only draft last season. My plan was to get 2 of the tier 2 SP. I did not anticipate the larger number of teams that were shifting a larger portion of their budget to SP compared to years past. Even though there were more SP in the draft, there were also less SP that were being protected in the draft. So prices shot up on just about any SP that came up in the first 1hr of the auction. Tier 2 pitchers like Tanaka, Paxton and Berrios all went for $35 and up. Tier 1 players Morton and Verlander went for close to $50.

Comment

Spread the wealth is probably over simplifying it on my part. I don't want to buy a $45 ace in that deep of a format. If all the pitchers are going for $45 then there are massive discounts elsewhere. Greinke earned $25 in an AL only 12 team format last year. I doubt that inflation has reached 50%, but even if it has he's still not providing much profit. There have to be better options available.
                  Last edited by Ken; 02-20-2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                    Castillo and Corbin go way before Greinke on average anyway fyi
                    In this particular keeper league Pitching is a super premium. I Know there is a 20 pick difference in NFBC but in this particular league they will all go within 10 picks of each other. You like Castillo and Corbin 20 picks better than Greinke?
                    I see them as pretty close.

Comment

Corbin for sure is much better to me. Castillo you might be able to argue for Greinke, but I wouldnt.

Comment

Ken - 100% agree. I have learned from many years that a tier 2 or 3 SP can damage your ERA and WHIP just the same as a $2 SP.

Comment

MLB Network is doing a segment grading MLB pitchers on various pitches in 2019.

Greinke's curveball was the most lethal - yet (because?) he threw it only 14 percent of the time.
                          The worst curve was Robbie Ray's - which he threw 60 percent of the time.

am struggling to imagine a way that Ray can be more effective in 2020.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

Greinke's curveball was the most lethal - yet (because?) he threw it only 14 percent of the time.

I got it. He should throw his curve more! Practice makes perfect, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

I'm struggling to imagine how a pretty good pitcher like Ray can spend 60% his pitches using the worst curve in baseball and still succeed.... Doesn't really make any sense at all, something feels off.

Comment

Working...
                              X