2k20: Jeff McNeil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k20: Jeff McNeil

According to Wikipedia, which my daughter always reminds me is a very unreliable source, McNeil's nickname is The Squirrel. If that's true, the Mets have both a squirrel and a polar bear.

Hopefully this works - link to a long twitter thread from Athletic writer Matt Williams about McNeil: https://twitter.com/MattWi77iams/sta...73501186138114

With the punchline:

What to expect from Jeff McNeil in 2020:

575 AB
    .302/..348/..479
    25 HR
    92 R
    78 RBI
    8 SB

2020 could be a full breakout for McNeil, but his production is tough to predict. You need to expect a slight trade off in batting avg in exchange for extra power. BUT you might get both.
    His Exit Velo/Hard Hit on statcast are 38th/37th percentile, which doesn't portend big power numbers.

The position eligibility is nice.

THE BAT: 637pa .287-20-77-83r-8sb
    ATC: 616pa .294-20-73-88-7sb

I'm more inclined to believe the AVG will be higher, and less inclined to believe the power will really come through. Maybe .300-22-75-85r-5sb depending on where he bats.

Roster Resource has the Mets going Nimmo-McNeil-Alonso-Cano-JD Davis-Conforto-Ramos-Rosario, and while it feels like there's a lot of flexibility there, I think McNeil in the 2 hole will be the one constant.
    Last edited by joncarlos; 02-20-2020, 03:12 PM.

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    ATC: 616pa .294-80-73-88-7sb
    That's an impressive line. New HR record, and the most amazing part is that he managed to trip and fall before making it around the bases on 7 of them.

Or maybe he got distracted by an acorn in the outfield, who knows?

Comment

I can understand the doubts on power, but why such a low OBP? He was .380+ with the Mets and .400+ in his last two minor league seasons. If he hits over .300, I don't see how he'd end up with lower than a .370 OBP.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I can understand the doubts on power, but why such a low OBP? He was .380+ with the Mets and .400+ in his last two minor league seasons. If he hits over .300, I don't see how he'd end up with lower than a .370 OBP.
        I agree, the OBP projection was too low.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          That's an impressive line. New HR record, and the most amazing part is that he managed to trip and fall before making it around the bases on 7 of them.

Or maybe he got distracted by an acorn in the outfield, who knows?
          I mean, c'mon, if any player was going to drive in 73 runs on 80 HRs, wouldn't it be a Met?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            I mean, c'mon, if any player was going to drive in 73 runs on 80 HRs, wouldn't it be a Met?
            Great point. And the consistency on only hitting it out when no one is on base for those other 73 checks out.

Comment

I love the squirrel. In fact, I just traded George Springer (who I just got for two prospects) for him. McNeil is $7 and Springer is $25. I got some flack for it, as I generally try to get the best player in a deal, being in a 14 team mixed league. But in this case, I think the price difference is more than the talent difference. I love Springer too. It is just I am a McNeil believer. More so than my league mates who all came out first mad that I landed Springer and then mad I flipped him so fast for what they are calling a poor return.

But time will tell. My biggest worry is his health. He has gotten hurt a lot in the minors and last year. But I love the talent and I hope the stability of mostly playing 3b this year helps too. I think last year, pitchers adjusted to me and he took what they gave him, which was more aggressive pitches that he decided to put out of the yard. I think he did that also because the ball was juiced, but i believe he is such a gifted hitter with such remarkable hands and eyes, he can adapt to whatever baseball gives him. If the ball is juiced again, I think he can hit 30 hrs. If not, I think he will hit 15 but win a batting title. He is a remarkable hitter that took a long time to get to the show because of injuries.

Comment

the most remarkable thing about McNeil for me is how much he seems to enjoy the inconsistent shifts employed against him.

It's something to see an MLB player adjusting his stance and angle in the way that a guy in a slow-pitch co-ed softball game might do in a big spot. he has the Wee Willie Keeler spirit of "Hit 'Em Where They Ain't."

McNeil credits his Cape Cod League coach, John Altobelli, with saving his career.

Altobelli is the guy who went down with his family in the Kobe Bryant crash.

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  the most remarkable thing about McNeil for me is how much he seems to enjoy the inconsistent shifts employed against him.

It's something to see an MLB player adjusting his stance and angle in the way that a guy in a slow-pitch co-ed softball game might do in a big spot. he has the Wee Willie Keeler spirit of "Hit 'Em Where They Ain't."

McNeil credits his Cape Cod League coach, John Altobelli, with saving his career.

Altobelli is the guy who went down with his family in the Kobe Bryant crash.

That is sad to hear. I'm glad he will be remembered for the legacy he left behind, but it is a damn shame he and the rest died before their time. I hope other pilots really take this to heart and no matter how important their client, they put safety above the demand/desire to fly at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I love the squirrel. In fact, I just traded George Springer (who I just got for two prospects) for him. McNeil is $7 and Springer is $25. I got some flack for it, as I generally try to get the best player in a deal, being in a 14 team mixed league. But in this case, I think the price difference is more than the talent difference. I love Springer too. It is just I am a McNeil believer. More so than my league mates who all came out first mad that I landed Springer and then mad I flipped him so fast for what they are calling a poor return.

But time will tell. My biggest worry is his health. He has gotten hurt a lot in the minors and last year. But I love the talent and I hope the stability of mostly playing 3b this year helps too. I think last year, pitchers adjusted to me and he took what they gave him, which was more aggressive pitches that he decided to put out of the yard. I think he did that also because the ball was juiced, but i believe he is such a gifted hitter with such remarkable hands and eyes, he can adapt to whatever baseball gives him. If the ball is juiced again, I think he can hit 30 hrs. If not, I think he will hit 15 but win a batting title. He is a remarkable hitter that took a long time to get to the show because of injuries.
                    It's not like Springer has been a picture of health the last 3 years, either - he's played 140, 140, and 122 games. But....Springer's numbers are pretty incredible on a per game basis. I'd have had a tough time making that deal. But $17 is a big difference.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      It's not like Springer has been a picture of health the last 3 years, either - he's played 140, 140, and 122 games. But....Springer's numbers are pretty incredible on a per game basis. I'd have had a tough time making that deal. But $17 is a big difference.
                      Yeah, it was a tough call. I also got Alek Thomas in the deal. I definitely would have come out ahead giving the two prospects I gave for Springer for McNeil and Thomas, but I know once I got Springer, that is the wrong way to look at it. I got Springer for Logan Gilbert and Shane Baz initially, and that may have led me to deal him as found money for less than I should have.

Comment

Working...
                      X