No announcement yet.

TheAthletic Subscribers Free NFBC Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So since this is a freebie anyway, I 100% bought into the idea of buying all my hitting first and then just taking a ton of SP and hoping their 2-start weeks carry me.

Thus, from the #2 slot:
    1- Yelich
    2- Tatis
    3- Rendon
    4- Alvarez
    5- Meadows
    6- Soler
    7- LeMahieu
    8- Bell
    9- E.Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
      So since this is a freebie anyway, I 100% bought into the idea of buying all my hitting first and then just taking a ton of SP and hoping their 2-start weeks carry me.

Yeah, I drafted a few pitchers but I've been loading up on offense too. I guess if you're only in round 9 our progress hasn't been as bad as it seems.

From the 3 slot

1-Acuna
      2-Devers
      3-Tatis
      4-Olson
      5-Vlad Jr
      6-Darvish
      7-Merrifield (I think this league rewards PT, and lots of hits, and also 2B isn't that good)
      8-E Rosario
      9-Berrios
      10-Woodruff
      11-Schwarber

Comment

Ours is going much faster, round 18 already. We haven't had anyone timeout yet or even close to it.

Comment

We've been at a crawl with multiple timeouts. We just started the 9th round. I'm picking from the #3 spot.

1 - Trout
          2 - Tatis
          3 - Devers
          4 - LCastillo
          5 - Hiura
          6 - Greinke
          7 - GSanchez
          8 - Soler

I'm one pick away from my next pick. Thinking about Mancini or Moustakis.

I have a feeling that players with multiple eligibility could be extra valuable when optimizing the best score each week. I'm thinking it could help squeeze the most points out each week if you the system can move players around more freely.

I am also trying to figure out if you should not care about steals and/or saves. Thinking steals (especially steals only guys) are less valuable. A home run gets you 8 points (HR: 6, H: 1, RBI: 1 and R: 1) while a steal is just 5 points. So why care about steals only players? Obviously guys like Yelich is insanely valuable cause they give you both. Saves, I think still have value as you don't necessarily want to load up on starters.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            We've been at a crawl with multiple timeouts. We just started the 9th round. I'm picking from the #3 spot.

1 - Trout
            2 - Tatis
            3 - Devers
            4 - LCastillo
            5 - Hiura
            6 - Greinke
            7 - GSanchez
            8 - Soler

I have a feeling that players with multiple eligibility could be extra valuable when optimizing the best score each week. I'm thinking it could help squeeze the most points out each week if you the system can move players around more freely.
            Us too...timeouts over and over. I really wanted Muncy in the multi-regard but got sniped one pick before me in the 8th.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post

1 - Trout
              2 - Tatis
              3 - Devers
              4 - LCastillo
              5 - Hiura
              6 - Greinke
              7 - GSanchez
              8 - Soler

I am also trying to figure out if you should not care about steals and/or saves. Thinking steals (especially steals only guys) are less valuable. A home run gets you 8 points (HR: 6, H: 1, RBI: 1 and R: 1) while a steal is just 5 points. So why care about steals only players? Obviously guys like Yelich is insanely valuable cause they give you both. Saves, I think still have value as you don't necessarily want to load up on starters.
              I've been ignoring steals other than if a guy happens to get them, but I'm definitely not chasing them. Same with saves... at some point the closers may fall so far that they're good values again.

People in my league have started timing out on purpose. Ugh.

Definitely think the multi-position eligibility can be a big help. I was really bummed to get sniped on Muncy like 30 picks ahead of his ADP.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                People in my league have started timing out on purpose. Ugh.
                What's the strategy there?

Comment

I think I like my draft so far lol.

I've definitely been big on position flexibility

Bellinger, C 1st/OF
                  Harper, B OF
                  Ramirez, J 3rd
                  Machado, M SS/3rd
                  Lemahieu, DJ 2nd/1st/3rd
                  Giolito, L SP
                  Grandal, Y C/1st
                  Darvish, Y SP
                  Semien, M SS
                  Sano, M 3rd/1st
                  Conforto, M OF
                  Lynn, L SP
                  Bumgarner, M SP
                  Ryu, HJ SP
                  Davis, K Ut
                  McMahan, R 2nd/3rd
                  Buxton, B OF
                  Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Definitely think the multi-position eligibility can be a big help. I was really bummed to get sniped on Muncy like 30 picks ahead of his ADP.
                    I agree. And so when it came to make my pick instead of Moustakis I went with Josh Bell. I never seem to want to listen to my own advice. Mancini was taken right before me. I wanted a 1B and I think Bell could take another step up from last year.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      What's the strategy there?
                      1-Don't take a guy who might blow out his UCL in the 3 hours after you picked
                      2-Wait for news to break that might help you (Braves name Smith their closer, etc)
                      3-Annoy everyone and get them on tilt

Comment

It occurs to me now that I have to wait like 20 picks before I go again... German Marquez is probably a really valuable pick here. He always scores high on the road and at home he just doesn't count if he's bad

Comment

One guy in our league has 4 closers after 18 rounds, the rest of the league has 6 combined.

Some off the cuff examples; hoping my math is correct:

A 3 save, 3 inning, 5 K, 3 hits, 1ER, 1BB week would bring (3*8)+(3*3)+5-3-(1*2)-1 = 32 points - great week
                          A 2 save, 2 inning, 3 K, 2 hits, 1ER, 1BB week would bring (2*8)+(2*3)+3-2-(1*2)-1 = 20 points - good week
                          A 1 save, 2 inning, 2 K, 3 hits, 1ER, 1BB week would bring (1*8)+(2*3)+2-3-(1*2)-2 = 10 points - fair week
                          A 0 save, 1 inning, 1 K, 2 hits, 2ER, 2BB week would bring (0*8)+(1*3)+1-2-(2*2)-2 = -4 points - bad week

A 2W, 14 innings, 14 K, 10 hits, 3ER, 4BB week would bring (2*6)+(14*3)+14-10-(3*2)-4 = 48 points - great week
                          A 1W, 12 innings, 12 K, 10 hits, 4ER, 4BB week would bring (1*6)+(12*3)+12-10-(4*2)-4 = 32 points - good week
                          A 1W, 10 innings, 8K, 10 hits, 5ER, 6BB week would bring (1*6)+(10*3)+8-10-(5*2)-6 = 18 points - fair week
                          A 0W, 7 innings, 5 K, 12 hits, 6ER, 6BB week would bring (0*6)+(7*3)+5-12-(6*2)-6 = -4 points - bad week
                          Last edited by harmon; 03-02-2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

But I think closers could finish ahead of 1 start guys pretty easily, right?

For an SP, throwing 6 innings without a win, striking out 6, allowing 2 runs and 7 baserunners, would be 12+18-6-7 or 17 points. So a pretty good winless start is in the 15-17 range. Your 1 save example above is 10 points and 2 saves is 20.

I don't think closers are too bad, I guess is what I'm saying, unless you load up on enough SPs that you'll always have almost all 2-start SPs.

Comment

But I think closers could finish ahead of 1 start guys pretty easily, right?

For an SP, throwing 6 innings without a win, striking out 6, allowing 2 runs and 7 baserunners, would be 12+18-6-7 or 17 points. So a pretty good winless start is in the 15-17 range. Your 1 save example above is 10 points and 2 saves is 20.

I don't think closers are too bad, I guess is what I'm saying, unless you load up on enough SPs that you'll always have almost all 2-start SPs.
                              Yes, you're right. My starter examples are all for 2 starts, that's not realistic through the season.

Comment

Trying to figure out what to do about catcher. There's about 6 or 7 good ones, and then a glut of about 6-10 more that are OK. I guess try to get 2 from the big glut and a 3rd one for depth? And at least avoid the dregs that happen after about 15 are picked?

Comment

Working...
                                X