No announcement yet.

TheAthletic Subscribers Free NFBC Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had pick #6...not at all where I wanted to be. 1-5 were Trout, Yelich, Acuna, Bellinger & Betts. One projected system recommended Turner and the other recommended Arenado. I went with Arenado, because, with Turner possibly dropping to third in the order, I don't know if he'll steal 40+ hitting in front of Soto.
    2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
      I had pick #6...not at all where I wanted to be. 1-5 were Trout, Yelich, Acuna, Bellinger & Betts. One projected system recommended Turner and the other recommended Arenado. I went with Arenado, because, with Turner possibly dropping to third in the order, I don't know if he'll steal 40+ hitting in front of Soto.
      And there's no reason to arbitrarily overvalue steals in this format, so Arenado was the right pick.

Comment

FYI - the point system was designed so rankings mimicked 5x5 as closely as possible - I was one of the people developing it. The NFBC felt they could sell the Cutline easier if you could use the same ADP as the other drafts.

The first year, (2016 or 2017, I forget) hitting points correlated about 95%, pitching about 85%. With the increase in power and drop in steals, hitting correlation has dropped, but it's still strong.
        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
          FYI - the point system was designed so rankings mimicked 5x5 as closely as possible - I was one of the people developing it. The NFBC felt they could sell the Cutline easier if you could use the same ADP as the other drafts.

The first year, (2016 or 2017, I forget) hitting points correlated about 95%, pitching about 85%. With the increase in power and drop in steals, hitting correlation has dropped, but it's still strong.
          Good to know. Thanks Lord Zola.

My draft went Acuna, Yelich and Trout (to me) and now it looks like the #4 team is going to let the clock run out. Not a very exciting first day.

I also had no idea it was a points league, I was assuming 5x5 like the other NFBC leagues. I was considering waiting a while on pitching cause it's so shallow but maybe now I should grab one in the second round, like Scherzer or Buehler and then Torres in the third.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I had #4 in mine and went Cole valuing this like a Points league. I also view this as a WTF league since no buy in and wanted to build a team with SP first.

Comment

Given as I said that it's a best-ball league and it has a 19-person bench (in case you didn't notice that)... I wonder where Cole's performance fell in each week last year when compared to all #4 starters for that week.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I did notice the bench which makes me think volume is the play for SP. But then this is also 10 teams so it’s all star rosters as even my only leagues have more teams than this. Thus with it being all star rosters felt like the best SP was a decent way to go since the best ball optimization of rosters works for 1st round hitters too.

Comment

I agree you need at least one backup at all offense and then as many SP as possible and ideally all the two start guys that week accumulate enough to keep pace with the higher cost SP

Comment

1.03 Acuna
                    2.08 Devers
                    3.03 Tatis Jr

So far I'm OK with how it's going.

Comment

Yelich, Tatis, Rendon for me...mirror image JC

Comment

Anyone know how Ohtani works in this league?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          He's UT/P, so I guess it starts with whichever he scores more at for a given week. So if he gets 6 as a hitter and 9 as a pitcher, I guess you get the 9... but maybe if 9 points doesn't crack your pitching lineup and 6 does crack your hitting lineup, you still get the 6?

This is an optimal scoring format, where an owner's best scoring lineup will automatically be used every week.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            He'll go wherever your lineup scores the most points, even if he scored more at the other spot.
                            Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Thanks guys

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Now if my league would just pick...

Comment

Working...
                                X