Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k20: Drew Pomeranz

From Rotographs in December:

Pomeranz used a brilliant 26.3-inning relief sample with the Brewers to earn a major four-year deal with the Padres over which he will be paid $34 million dollars. He amped his fastball up to 94.3 mph and balanced it out with a curveball that fueled an absurd 45% strikeout rate. He had a 2.39 ERA and 0.91 WHIP in that time, too. Pomeranz likely won’t wrestle the closer’s role from Kirby Yates (unless he goes full Blake Treinen), but that doesn’t mean he won’t have fantasy value.

He could be similar to former teammate Josh Hader wherein his ratios and strikeout rate give him enough value in virtually all formats even if he’s not netting a ton of saves or wins. That said, Pomeranz will still likely gather some of both just by pitching in high leverage situations (maybe 5-7 of each over the course of the year).
    I guess the projection systems are useless (except maybe HQ which I didn't check) since they consider all of his past numbers.

Just for reference here's ATC: 61 IP, 2 W, 5 Sv, 3.53 ERA, 74 K, 1.19 WHIP

Let me give you another set of numbers, though: 80 IP, 7 W, 6 Sv, 2.70 ERA, 104 K, 0.90 WHIP

Those are Seth Lugo's numbers from last year. 6 saves might be a bit much, but those Lugo numbers with 2 saves are still what, a top 25 reliever? Can Pomeranz get there? Or is he just another meh guy like ATC says?

He's had arm or lat injuries each of the last two years. But, yeah, he looked awesome in Milwaukee. I can believe the ratio improvements, and even the K/9....I just don't think he'll stay healthy all year and log 80 IP out of the pen. Pro-rate the Ks for 60 IP, 4-5 Ws and 2-3 Saves, and I could believe.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      He's had arm or lat injuries each of the last two years. But, yeah, he looked awesome in Milwaukee. I can believe the ratio improvements, and even the K/9....I just don't think he'll stay healthy all year and log 80 IP out of the pen. Pro-rate the Ks for 60 IP, 4-5 Ws and 2-3 Saves, and I could believe.
      So what would you pay for those stats?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        So what would you pay for those stats?
        Depends heavily on the format.

15 team or smaller mixed league? Zero.

Only league with holds? Not zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Depends heavily on the format.

15 team or smaller mixed league? Zero.

Only league with holds? Not zero.
          12 team only no holds.

$2 bucks is what I would pay...maybe not feel good about it.

Comment

12 team only no holds.

I have him for a buck in a 12 team NL-only league. At the moment, I'm leaning towards keeping him.
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

12 team only no holds.

I think 2 or 3 is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                I have him for a buck in a 12 team NL-only league. At the moment, I'm leaning towards keeping him.
                If you do not have a better keeper for a buck I would keep him.

If he stinks that is what FAAB is for.

Comment

12 team only no holds.

I'd pay $2 and be happy. $3 would be a stretch, but I might do it for the ratio help.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                    I would definitely do that. Pomeranz has always had more stuff than success and you have to love the environment.

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    I'd pay $2 and be happy. $3 would be a stretch, but I might do it for the ratio help.
                    This is why. In a Holds or HnS league I could see higher.

What I want know is why the K% exploded. As a RP he had 50 K in 106 TBF = 47.2%. That's sick, but it was a healthy 24.9% as a SP, so it doesn't look like a big aberration. Can he maintain 30+%? The list of SP that find a career in the bullpen is long.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                    X