2k20: Joey Votto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k20: Joey Votto

Put this one in the "I want to believe" files. Can Votto rebound?

As spring training neared, Votto did something he hasn’t done throughout his 13-year Major League career. He showed up more than a week early to camp, arriving in Arizona on Feb. 5, after canceling a planned vacation.

“I’m excited about the challenge this year,” Votto said. “I don’t think I’ve felt that in a long time.”
    The Reds' lineup will certainly be better, if nothing else.

2019: 608 PA, 261/357/411, 15 HR, 47 RBI, 79 R, 5 SB. A .313 BABIP. 12.5% BB, 20.2% K (walk rate down 5%, K rate up 4%)

His hard hit rate was in the 42nd percentile and his exit velo was in the 44th percentile, so if he's going to rebound, he's got a long way to go.

THE BAT projection: 653pa, .266-16-70-83r-4sb
    ATC projection: 614pa, .271-18-64-81r-4sb
    Steamer projection: 670pa, .270-23-76-91r-4sb

I have no idea what he will do. The main question is how much are we willing to pay to find out?

Has to be under $10 and near the end of the auction for me to be a player.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Has to be under $10 and near the end of the auction for me to be a player.
      Even that's pretty generous.

Comment

Yeah, I was burnt and maybe that informs a bias, but I don't trust a come back. I like Votto. Wish him well. But I won't pay to find out if he can bounce back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Even that's pretty generous.
          Absolutely true , but would you rather have Votto, Pujols or Miguel Cabrera?

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
            Votto, Miggy, Pujols in that order for me. All are big risks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Votto, Miggy, Pujols in that order for me. All are big risks.
              I mean, youngest to oldest makes sense....

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                Votto is the logical answer, but man... Pujols hitting behind Trout and Rendon has a chance to go .240/.300/.440 with 100 RBIs.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  Votto is the logical answer, but man... Pujols hitting behind Trout and Rendon has a chance to go .240/.300/.440 with 100 RBIs.
                  Votto may be the logical answer, but Pujols is the correct one.

Comment

Votto now has more talent around him and gets on base a ton to score runs. Votto over those two---he won't lose playing time; Pujols might. I agree that Votto, Miggy, Pujols is the right order. Given the ages, the odds that Pujols has hit the end of the line completely is higher.

Comment

I'd go Votto, Pujols, Cabrera (who is on a terrible team, has a hard time staying on the field and has slugged below .400 2 of the last 3 seasons). Also, while it's true that Pujols is theoretically in line for a lot of RBI, it's sort of canceled out by the fact that he's scored 53, 50, and 55 runs the last 3 years. Granted, Votto had 47 rbi in 2019, which is brutal, but I think he has a decent chance at a minor rebound, let's say 65-70 rbi and 80 runs. Votto and Pujols are somewhat close in my opinion, but I'm giving the edge based on being a bit younger.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                        I'd go Votto, Pujols, Cabrera (who is on a terrible team, has a hard time staying on the field and has slugged below .400 2 of the last 3 seasons). Also, while it's true that Pujols is theoretically in line for a lot of RBI, it's sort of canceled out by the fact that he's scored 53, 50, and 55 runs the last 3 years. Granted, Votto had 47 rbi in 2019, which is brutal, but I think he has a decent chance at a minor rebound, let's say 65-70 rbi and 80 runs. Votto and Pujols are somewhat close in my opinion, but I'm giving the edge based on being a bit younger.
                        I can see that. I guess I can't quit Miggy. He is doing that thing where he said he got in shape, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

It'd be interesting to know what the over/under is for ABs for Miggy. Then again maybe for Albert too. I'd think around 300 for Miggy, 400 for Albert?
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            It'd be interesting to know what the over/under is for ABs for Miggy. Then again maybe for Albert too. I'd think around 300 for Miggy, 400 for Albert?
                            But Miggy found out veggies exist now!: https://twitter.com/beckjason/status...99342496276480

Comment

Working...
                            X