No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get the safety first argument. I wish we could prioritize 100% safety for all, but it just isn't practical, especially given the fact that this virus may be around a lot longer than some of you seem to think. I do think that a vaccine will be developed faster than ever for this thing, but most vaccines take years and years, sometimes decades. And the ones that are rushed can end up to negative results, and the mere fact that has been true is enough to scare off bunches of people in this country. We have millions who won't take a vaccine, even when one becomes available. We need to curb foolish and reckless behavior. We need to take every precaution. We need to shut down when things spike. But staying on lock down until this thing is gone is not at all feasible. Again, it could take years, not months before we are fully rid of this thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I disagree. I think schools can be opened, at least partially in some places, with relatively small risk. I think schools should certainly be a priority over bars, clubs, restaurants, shopping malls, department stores, etc. I work at a college. We have a plan and I think the plan is as safe as any plan can be. Most won't be around on campus, but some will, sometimes, including me. With young kids, it is harder, to be sure. But daycares are open. My two year old goes to his sometimes, even while my 5 year old was being home schooled. There have never been more than 150 active cases (reported cases, anyway) in our county at one time. There has never been a reported case at the JCC where my 2 year old goes when we have no choice but to send him. Reasonable precautions are taken, with mask wearing, frequent temp checks, and smaller numbers of kids in each class. It isn't perfect, but it is necessary for my family, with two working parents and no other family in the area. The same thing will happen with others that is happening with us. These young kids will have to go somewhere, sometimes, if any of their parents are expected to also go somewhere sometimes to work. And work aside, again, putting an entire generation of students 2 or more years behind is a very bad outcome. We need to figure it out. Never seeing another kid or interacting with a teacher, as was the case for my 5 year old the final three months of "school" here just doesn't work. He is 100% behind now, despite the best efforts of two parents that are both educators.
      I don't disagree with you on most of these things you've said--but I have family who are educators and even more friends in the industry, elementary through college. A great number of them are between 55-65, some with conditions that put them at risk. Some are being forced to report if schools are open or risk losing their jobs even tenured positions. It's retire or report for some of them--if the schools do reopen tI would hope they accommodate those with reservations about returning because there's no way to assure Covid-19 won't follow them home and it's my belief, you shouldn't have to risk your life to retain your job.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I don't disagree with you on most of these things you've said--but I have family who are educators and even more friends in the industry, elementary through college. A great number of them are between 55-65, some with conditions that put them at risk. Some are being forced to report if schools are open or risk losing their jobs even tenured positions. It's retire or report for some of them--if the schools do reopen it would hope they accommodate those with reservations about returning because there's no way to assure Covid-19 won't follow them home and it's my belief, you shouldn't have to risk your life to retain your job.
        My understanding is that in NY, those who are at risk and/or who don't want to be in-person will be able to teach remotely. I agree with you that should be an option, without fear of losing one's job, for anyone who needs or wants it. My hope, although there has been zero communication about this locally--my wife works with superintendents and they say they have no plan yet--is that school boundaries will go away so students at home can be paired with teachers at home to the extent possible.

My college, which does have a plan in place (I think because they have to advertise and entice students not to take a gap year, most of whom want in-person, professors be damned), gave 100% choice to faculty. If you wanted to stay online, for whatever reason, you could. The rest would be put on a rotating schedule of online and in-person in bigger than normal classes. I collected preferences from my faculty and in turns out nearly half wanted to be in-person in some capacity. They know what they have to go through to make that happen--the screenings, the constant mask wearing, the distancing, etc. But that is what they want. Some really, really wanted it. We had one faculty member who has been at our school for 50 years who wanted to be in-person, and when he was told he could only be in-person alternating weeks, he retired. Not because of fear that he could die, because he knew that and was willing to take the risk, but because he would not see the kids face-to-face. It is what he lived for. It kept him going into his 80s.

I think at the K-12 level, if we ask teachers and students what they want, and try to pair them up the best we can, we will probably get pretty close to accommodating most people's preferences. And those that stay at home should be lauded, because it is only through that decision that those that need to go to school in-person will be able to under social distancing guidelines.

Comment

• As a counter example to our needs, my sister, in Florida, has three kids and her partner is battling cancer. She is very scared that the kids could bring COVID home, and he is always home, so it makes sense for them to do home schooling. She and he are happy to do it. But I fear Florida won't give them that option. I am not in favor of that. But I am in favor of trying to get at many kids who want/need some in-person schooling at least some of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            As a counter example to our needs, my sister, in Florida, has three kids and her partner is battling cancer. She is very scared that the kids could bring COVID home, and he is always home, so it makes sense for them to do home schooling. She and he are happy to do it. But I fear Florida won't give them that option. I am not in favor of that. But I am in favor of trying to get at many kids who want/need some in-person schooling at least some of that.
            Odd thing is--I thought Calif would be far more flexible regarding this, but it seems to be left up to the districts themselves or municipalities in general to sort out how things will proceed and though San Diego is a laid back SoCal town in rep, it is pretty conservative in reality.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• We were told they will release our plan in the first week of August. I feel my kids regressing a bit (they are 7 and 4) so I am hopeful they will at least be able to figure out some in-person learning, but safety first obviously. I still have a slightly diminished lung capacity from chemo as a teenager. Nothing serious - my doctors say I could run a marathon if I wasn’t so lazy, but I don’t know if Covid would be worse with that.

Comment

• I am hoping, praying even, that schools will be back to normal in the fall. I'm in a state (PA) that is trending way down thanks to our smart governor, but I still think it won't be. I'm bracing for 2-3 days of homeschooling per week. And I can't imagine what two working parents with young children will do, here and in far worse states.

Yes, these kids are not learning. Not one bit. I'm ashamed to say my wife and I did 80% of the work for my younger two kids. They just wouldn't do it and every day was a disaster. So I get it -- kids have to be back in school. They're falling years behind in learning and are losing key years of building friendships. That said, if the virus is flaring out of control, you're putting entire families at risk, as well as the safety of the teachers and other school workers. And for what? To get re-elected? This douchebag is willing to kill Americans to get re-elected. If he loses, he needs to be charged as such.

This situation with schools, however terrible the decision is, NEEDS to be left with the people who know best -- the local districts and governors, and not a cornered cat desperate for re-election. The Trumpy puppets down south will probably follow Dear Leader, and I hope they will also be brought up on charges if it becomes the disaster many fear.

Comment

I don't disagree with you on most of these things you've said--but I have family who are educators and even more friends in the industry, elementary through college. A great number of them are between 55-65, some with conditions that put them at risk. Some are being forced to report if schools are open or risk losing their jobs even tenured positions. It's retire or report for some of them--if the schools do reopen tI would hope they accommodate those with reservations about returning because there's no way to assure Covid-19 won't follow them home and it's my belief, you shouldn't have to risk your life to retain your job.
                  Yes I think this is going to get ugly. My wife teaches 1st grade here in Texas. Our governor is sure to rush to do whatever trump's administration recommends -- which will obviously be a return to "normalcy" at all costs -- but there's no talk of increasing education budgets, or actually creating a safer environment. It's school shootings over again. [Shrug] is the goddamn GOP's response to everything, if not outright malfeasance.

I predict a major shortage of teachers when those who can afford it just quit rather than endanger their lives because people are eager to have babysitters again. The ones left behind will be asked to do more than is humanly possible, so actual instruction will suffer -- proving it's the lowest priority anyway.

It's maddening.

Comment

• the reason children aren't as vulnerable to COVID-19 is they don't have as many ACE2 receptors yet. but if your child has any secondary conditions, I would definitely home school until this all gets worked out. they can still be asymptomatic and carry it home, and they will. it's not really worth the risk.

the only reason Trump want's kids in school is so their parents can goto work and improve the economy so he can get reelected. his reasons isn't about education.

Comment

• "A surge in coronavirus cases in and around Tulsa, Okla., is probably connected to the campaign rally President Trump held there last month, the city’s top health official said on Wednesday.

Tulsa County reported 206 new confirmed cases on Tuesday and 261 — a record high — on Monday, and Dr. Bruce Dart, the director of the Tulsa Health Department, said at a news conference that it was reasonable to link the spike to the rally and related events.

“The past two days we’ve had almost 500 cases, and we know we had several large events a little over two weeks ago, which is about right,” Dr. Dart said. “So I guess we just connect the dots.”
                      Dr. Bruce Dart, the director of the Tulsa Health Department, said Tulsa County had reported nearly 500 new cases of Covid-19 in the past two days.

Comment

Odd thing is--I thought Calif would be far more flexible regarding this, but it seems to be left up to the districts themselves or municipalities in general to sort out how things will proceed and though San Diego is a laid back SoCal town in rep, it is pretty conservative in reality.
                        I think regional openings are the best approach. California is huge. Surely there are parts of the state experiencing increased outbreaks and other parts where its less prevalent. With increased testing capacity, we see more clearly the regions allowed to begin relaxing restrictions with those unable to.

In my province, Ontario, we had a large surge in Toronto and surrounding areas, but very little in my isolated town. 84 total cases among 150K in the region. So it makes sense for my region to begin opening malls and hair salons, etc (with some restrictions), but only in regions that haven't had new cases continuing to occur.

Conservative run districts seem to be tripping on their dicks, constantly pushing to reopen before its safe and being forced to delay as cases surge. Conservative idiots exist all over, denying medical consensus across the globe.

That reminds me, I absolutely hope that piece of human trash Jair Bolsanaro gets a healthy dose of Covid karma and is taken off to live with a nice family on a farm. Fattened up to feed to the pigs of course. He is an enemy to humanity.
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                          We were told they will release our plan in the first week of August. I feel my kids regressing a bit (they are 7 and 4) so I am hopeful they will at least be able to figure out some in-person learning, but safety first obviously. I still have a slightly diminished lung capacity from chemo as a teenager. Nothing serious - my doctors say I could run a marathon if I wasn’t so lazy, but I don’t know if Covid would be worse with that.
                          At least this way they can keep cranking out good quotes for facebook though.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            At least this way they can keep cranking out good quotes for facebook though.
                            That’s only half of them too. They are funny kids, for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                              That’s only half of them too. They are funny kids, for sure.
                              your and revo's kids need to hang out together.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• They took down the barricade at the local park. It is now official "skateboarding is not a crime"
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X