No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• there's only one rule or law in life. once everyone reduces resources to an unstainable level, we start feeding off ourselves.

in this sense there's only one correct type of morals. people that can survive on their own without the help of society.

you know, those movies where people get trapped in some kind of apocalypse and you find out how sturdy their character is. ..especially even now in this world, there aren't many people left that wouldn't take advantage.

that is 21st century reality

it circumvents the whole intelligence debate. heh

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Good news, negative COVID.

Also negative antigen.
      Good to hear!

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        GL, I tested Neg Weds, I'm having family over next week wanted to be sure. Took the antibodies test Friday--see if I had it and never knew (not likely, but ya know being safe) I hope you get the same good news we did.
        Good to hear that the CV-19 test was negative. I'm curious to hear the results of your antibodies test. I think a lot of people have at least some antibodies in their body even tho they never had symptoms. I'm curious as to whether there is a certain level of exposure that will not produce a positive CV-19 test result but will reveal the presence of antibodies. BTW, how much did the test cost?

Since this thing started, none of my friends or relatives have been infected to their knowledge and I've met only 1 person who had been infected.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
          Good to hear that the CV-19 test was negative. I'm curious to hear the results of your antibodies test. I think a lot of people have at least some antibodies in their body even tho they never had symptoms. I'm curious as to whether there is a certain level of exposure that will not produce a positive CV-19 test result but will reveal the presence of antibodies. BTW, how much did the test cost?

Since this thing started, none of my friends or relatives have been infected to their knowledge and I've met only 1 person who had been infected.
          Free Covid Test in CA, results in 2 days. Had to donate blood to get the antigen test free, result in 2 weeks. Should know before Thanksgiving (hoping to be able to see my daughters, but might not be able to)
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Good news, negative COVID.

Also negative antigen.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Don't know if this has been posted yet, but it shows pretty clearly that GOP states have more cases and more fatalities per capita than Left leaning states.

I take COVID data and try to present it in useful, interesting ways.

I wonder why that would be?
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                Don't know if this has been posted yet, but it shows pretty clearly that GOP states have more cases and more fatalities per capita than Left leaning states.

I take COVID data and try to present it in useful, interesting ways.

I wonder why that would be?
                Sounds like they relied on some bad/non-scientific advice.
                Last edited by madducks; 11-16-2020, 02:41 AM.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Moderna announced this morning that their vaccine has a 94.5% efficacy, even higher than Pfizer's vaccine. The market surged on the news.

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 11/9 at 7:46 AM, exactly 7 days ago. Mortality rate is figured using the current death total divided by the total cases from the update 3 weeks ago (10/26). I'm adding some new info this week. I'm adding the total # of hospitalizations from CV-19. Also, I'm curious to see how weekly average daily death rate increase correlates w weekly average daily cases rate increase from 3 weeks back, so I'm adding these also. My feeling is that these may be only loosely or moderately correlated.

- 11,367,214 cases in the US, up from 10,292,492, an increase of 10.44% which is a much larger increase than last time (8.62%). The new cases for this period were 1,074,722 which gives a 7-day daily average of 153,532, way, way up from 116,660. A comparison w last period's new cases (816,620) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.316, lower than that of the last update (1.393). The current test positivity rate is 9.95%, much higher than that of the last update (7.89%) and even farther above the WHO threshold figure of 5.0%. Total CV-19 hospitalizations are 69,864, up from 56,768, an increase of 23.06% over last week and the highest level in the entire pandemic. Currently, there are only 2 states that have an R-naught below 1.0, the same # as the last update, so the overall US R-naught still must be well above the recommended threshold of 1.0. The values for the different states range from 0.84-1.43. Things continue to get much worse.
                    - 251,901 deaths in the US, up from 243,771, an increase of 3.34% which is a larger increase than last time (3.07%). The new deaths for this period were 8,130 which gives a 7-day daily average of 1,161, up from 1,039. The mortality rate is 2.83% (251,901/8,889,577), slightly lower than last time (2.91% (243,771/8,388,013)). The mortality rate for the week's new deaths is 1.62% (8,130/501,564), lower than last time (1.84% (7,270/395,081)). The increase in average daily deaths over the prior week is 11.7%, whereas the increase in average daily cases from 3 weeks ago over the prior week is 27.0%.
                    - 54,943,524 cases worldwide, up from 50,796,324, an increase of 8.16% which is a smaller increase than last time (8.44%). The new cases for this period were 4,147,200 which gives a 7-day daily average of 592,457, up from 564,632. A comparison w last period's new cases (3,952,426) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.049, which is lower than last time (1.133).
                    - 1,327,350 deaths worldwide, up from 1,264,291, an increase of 4.99% which is a larger increase than last time (4.73%). The new deaths for this period were 63,059 which gives a 7-day daily average of 9,008, up from 8,160. The mortality rate is 3.06% (1,327,350/43,356,880), slightly lower than last time (3.14% (1,264,291/40,295,165)). The mortality rate for the week's new deaths is 2.06% (63,059/3,061,715), which is lower than that of the previous period (2.26% (57,123/2,528,955)).

There are now cases in Vanuatu and American Samoa, making it 223 countries/territories that have a reported case. The only 7 countries that do not have a reported/suspected case (all in the So. Pacific) are Kiribati, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Tonga and Tuvalu.

New case rate increases went up for the US but down for the world. The rate of increase of new cases went down for both. The death rate increase went up for both but mortality rates went down for both. For the US, the R-naught seems to remain well above 1.0, and the test positivity rate continues to go up sharply.

Cases continue to surge in virtually all of Europe, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada, Nepal, Indonesia, Myanmar, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Iran and Morocco. And cases have surged recently in Kenya and Pakistan. But case increases have slowed recently in the Philippines.
                    Last edited by rhd; 11-17-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• March Madness moving to a bubble in Indianapolis. A bummer for those of us who were supposed to host at our Arena, and therefore will lose out on the revenue, but likely the most secure option for the NCAA to ensure revenue.

Comment

• Rained for the first time in months here in Northern CA. Playing havoc with my sinuses and throat. I've been taking my temp twice a day because I am coughing a bit and my head is foggy all the time. Still a solid 98.3 (or whatever the aim at your forehead one reads). Last thing I want to do is kill my parents over thanksgiving.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                          science doesn't really know the difference between capitalism and communism. it thrives under Russia, China or the United States.

yet, the worst hit societies were democracies as we were harder to influence and social distance and wear masks, and we rioted. perhaps the future survival of an intelligent species is best served by communism and authoritarianism.

democracy and voting is just a blip. because left to ourselves our species runs amok.
                          I need to stop being so pessimistic. America is one of the greatest experiments that ever existed. even then it's shitty to say it's an experiment. it's not an experiment it's life. the first really big multicultural society. and it's a disservice to even think communism or authoritarianism or any hive mentality species could be better. it pains me to see any such regimes succeed in something where we fail. because I don't think that is life. freewill right.

Comment

• about vaccines, they were already working on ways to use mRNA (which I always liked), to make a panvaccine for the common flu and even all coronaviruses or under the betacoronavirus clade. covid probably made success in finally developing them more likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              Rained for the first time in months here in Northern CA. Playing havoc with my sinuses and throat. I've been taking my temp twice a day because I am coughing a bit and my head is foggy all the time. Still a solid 98.3 (or whatever the aim at your forehead one reads). Last thing I want to do is kill my parents over thanksgiving.
                              my head is foggy all the time too. the average human temperature has been going down. not sure what it means but fungus would be a major problem for our species if our average temperatures dropped low enough for them to infect us. our only resistance to them is our high body temperatures. that is why fungus are mostly only a problem for only reptiles. heating and refrigeration is the cause of it. yet, with global warming, fungus disease will become more adaptive.

this is pretty much what all my Thanksgiving dinners have turned into. 'Hey everyone, I have a great idea, lets take about fungus during Thanksgiving'. .. if only the orange vegetables, like squash and turnips, would be a little green, I would have an excuse not to have to pretend to eat them.

I wish I liked squash. people really seem to like it. the problem with get-together dinners, especially Thanksgiving is they tell you to eat things like squash.

Comment

• Interesting study on the efficacy of masks: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2029717
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X