Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's another video on the outbreak in Beijing:

Limited Time Offer: Go to https://surfshark.com/uncensored and use code UNCENSORED to get 85% off a 2-year plan and 3 extra months for free!Beijing has annou...

The market China claims is the center of the outbreak is Xinfadi Market, which it claims is the largest market in Asia. Reportedly 90% of Beijing residents' fruit and vegetables are from this market and it has about 10,000 employees. So far, China is reporting 106 new cases there. But has already locked down 29 neighborhoods and has called in the military and police to shut down the market. If there were only 106 new cases, would they be employing such drastic measures? The very fact that this got out to international media at all gives an indication of its seriousness. And there already were other outbreaks in northeast China in places like Jilin, Shulan and Suifenhe (brought in from foreign countries, of course) and they reportedly locked down 100 million people in response to these. Yet China continues to trumpet how much better it has handled the pandemic than the rest of the world.

Comment

• While Dopey moves on after being bored with the virus, it's still surging mainly in states that reopened early. Florida reported 3207 cases today, which is the THIRD CONSECUTIVE DAY with their highest case totals ever, and some epidemiologists are saying (which many were all along) that Florida is the new epicenter of the virus.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        While Dopey moves on after being bored with the virus, it's still surging mainly in states that reopened early. Florida reported 3207 cases today, which is the THIRD CONSECUTIVE DAY with their highest case totals ever, and some epidemiologists are saying (which many were all along) that Florida is the new epicenter of the virus.
        How the worm turns. Just a month or so ago, my wife and I were worried that our plan of going down to Florida to visit family in early August would be thwarted by Florida's quarantine of those coming from NY. Now, it looks like the return trip is what will get complicated, as NY is considering quarantining those coming from Florida.

I guess this was inevitable, given how many states that had not yet gotten hit hard handled things. Everyone is gonna get a turn if preemptive measures are put aside in favor of reactive ones.

Comment

• It seems like so recently that Washing state was the epicenter of things, with more cases than anyone. But they got a-hold of this thing and now their total cases are middle of the pack, with many states that got late starts shooting past them.

The NY/NJ area is still by far the hardest hit, representing about 1/4 of all total cases in the country, but the number of new cases has shot way, way down in this area. Not too long ago, the NY/NJ area accounted for over half of all US cases (at one point NY alone accounts for close to 50% of all cases; now we are down to about 17%). That percentage falls every day as more cases crop up elsewhere.

Comment

• California Gov. Newsome just made Masks mandatory in ALL public places. citations (misdemeanor) and fines for those caught without them are possible--BUT, will this be enforced? It remains to be seen.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• The virus is infecting sports at a fast clip now. The Phillies, Blue Jays, SF Giants, Texans, Cowboys, 49ers, TB Lightning, many college programs, and even a golfer on tour just tested positive. This is getting uglier and uglier.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                The virus is infecting sports at a fast clip now. The Phillies, Blue Jays, SF Giants, Texans, Cowboys, 49ers, TB Lightning, many college programs, and even a golfer on tour just tested positive. This is getting uglier and uglier.
                Yeah I just read about some of that--It's not surprising at all given the facts we were presented with regarding how infectious Covid is by the Epidemiologists way back in March.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Yesterday was the first day with more than 29,000 new cases reported nationally since May 1 (33,000 new cases reported yesterday).

New cases seem to have bottomed out in the period roughly May 26 - June 14, at around 19,000 to 26,000 per day. Deaths have bottomed out from about May 31 onwards (at about 5000 per week). I'm guessing we'll start seeing the deaths increase starting some time late next week or into the following week
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 6/15 at 7:46 AM, exactly 7 days ago:

- 2,356,715 cases in US, up from 2,162,406, an increase of 8.99% which is a much larger increase than last time (7.71%). The new cases for this period were 194,309. A comparison w last period's new cases (154,875) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.255, which is much higher than that of the last update (0.911). Too early to call this the start of a 2nd wave but not a good sign.
                    - 122,249 deaths in US, up from 117,859, an increase of 3.72% which is a much smaller increase than last time (4.79%). The US mortality rate is now 5.19%, much lower than last time (5.45%).
                    - 9,019,955 cases worldwide, up from 7,967,177, an increase of 13.21% which is larger than last time (12.79%). At the current rate of increase, the world projects to hit 10,000,000 cases by about June 28. The new cases for this period were 1,052,778. A comparison w last period's new cases (903,715) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.165, which is much higher than last time (1.098). This rate remains well above 1.00.
                    - 471,070 deaths worldwide, up from 436,033, an increase of 8.04% which is larger than last time (7.28%). At the current rate of increase, the world projects to hit 500,000 deaths by about June 28. The world mortality rate is 5.22%, which is much lower than last time (5.47%).
                    - 218 countries/territories/etc. have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 2 others (North Korea, Turkmenistan). There are only 10 countries, all of which are South Pacific Island republics, that have neither reported nor have suspected cases: Kiribati, Marshall Is., Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Solomon Is., Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu. The vast majority of countries have at least 1 death, w Uganda having the most cases w no reported deaths, 823.

Case rates of increase were larger than last time for both the world and the US. Death rates increased for the world but decreased for the US. Cases continue to surge in Russia, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Mexico, the Middle East, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and South Africa. This pandemic seems to be getting somewhat worse for the world overall. In the US it has been stable overall but keep a lookout for a surge from a possible 2nd wave.

Comment

• In case anyone cares, I had my test on Friday, came up negative as expected. I needed it to be able to visit with my mother (in a LTC facility). The test was definitely unpleasant, but it was quick.
                      If anyone's ever debating getting one, go!
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        In case anyone cares, I had my test on Friday, came up negative as expected. I needed it to be able to visit with my mother (in a LTC facility). The test was definitely unpleasant, but it was quick.
                        Good to hear.

There are different tests. I assume your test was the one where they jam a swab to the back of your nasal cavity.

Comment

• The Public Library where I am the Director is opening to the public today for the first time. Hope it goes smoothly.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                            Good to hear.

There are different tests. I assume your test was the one where they jam a swab to the back of your nasal cavity.
                            yep that's the one
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              In case anyone cares, I had my test on Friday, came up negative as expected. I needed it to be able to visit with my mother (in a LTC facility). The test was definitely unpleasant, but it was quick.
                              Good to hear that it went well...I had one myself and also came up negative. Considering I've been out in the streets every day since this began, it was a relief.

Didn't mind the test at all, but I can attribute that to being hooked on nasal spray for about 20 years. I was used to sticking things up my nose, LOL. Don't EVER use nasal spray for more than 2 days, it's horribly addictive...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                The Public Library where I am the Director is opening to the public today for the first time. Hope it goes smoothly.
                                Make 'em wear masks...fuck them if they don't.
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X