No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston is edging onto the radar as an outbreak area of concern.

1. NYC
    2. New Orleans
    3. Detroit
    4. Boston

I don't understand the attention California and Chicago are getting. They are much more in line with the rest of the country, places like DC, Las Vegas, Indianapolis, Denver, etc.

Seattle would have been number two on that list recently, but they seem to have things under control for now.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Two months late, Trump finally invokes the DPA to force GM to manufacture ventilators.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Agree, 26% increase daily

If deaths follow the same pattern we'll be having more deaths than 9-11 every day starting in 10 days.

And the reality is that deaths are likely to increase their rate rather than decrease, since the lack of hospital beds and equipment will make it much worse.
        Two weeks ago the death total in the US was 73, the majority of that in Washington and largely connected to one nursing home, and people were saying this was over-hyped in the US. New York was just passing Washington in total count of cases. Two weeks from now no one will be able to deny this as a major epidemic in the US with widespread consequences to life and health across all states. Right now we're in the in-between, at 1500 deaths, where it's obvious to most that something serious is coming but the delay in manifestation is such that some people can still deny it and not be laughed (or cried) off the stage.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Two months late, Trump finally invokes the DPA to force GM to manufacture ventilators.
          Or not, what a weak ass loser.

President Donald Trump once again is bowing to corporate America and vacillating on using the full force of the law to save American lives. Two hours after the White House issued a statement announcing President Trump had invoked the Defense Production Act, directing General Motors to produce ventilators (quantity, timeline, and cost not announced), Trump is again […]
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            Boston is edging onto the radar as an outbreak area of concern.

1. NYC
            2. New Orleans
            3. Detroit
            4. Boston

I don't understand the attention California and Chicago are getting. They are much more in line with the rest of the country, places like DC, Las Vegas, Indianapolis, Denver, etc.

Seattle would have been number two on that list recently, but they seem to have things under control for now.
            Seattle and San Fran were some of the first places to Shelter/Stay at home, they had their spikes. LA as well. Boston dragged their feet as did Detroit. NYC and New Orleans just seem to have way too many people in close quarters. Plus a supply issue when it comes to testing and equipment. I'm not sure on this (with stats and all) but from a layman's perspective--this is my take away. I also believe there will be other states/cities who will replace these 4 soon enough as even MORE places are slow to stem the tide in any meaningful way.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Last minute donation?
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• "He calls all the governors. I say, 'Mike, Don't call the governor of Washington. You're wasting your time. Don't call the woman in Michigan.' ... If they don't treat you right, I don't call."

Just ignore two of fifty states because their Gov. are willing to challenge you while also throwing in an extra side of sexism.

Comment

• My MIL just got fired. 100% of her business was supplying cruise ships, so I knew this was coming. Unlike my friend in the mortgage business, I'm not sure this industry will get the support it would need to hire her back. This may be early retirement for her, if she can't find work in the coming months. Hard to start over in a new field in your 60s.

I have another friend who is a photographer, and he obviously hasn't have any new work lately and all future bookings are on hold. Luckily, he is married to a pediatrician, and, of course, health care workers have the ultimate job security right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    My MIL just got fired. 100% of her business was supplying cruise ships, so I knew this was coming. Unlike my friend in the mortgage business, I'm not sure this industry will get the support it would need to hire her back. This may be early retirement for her, if she can't find work in the coming months. Hard to start over in a new field in your 60s.

I have another friend who is a photographer, and he obviously hasn't have any new work lately and all future bookings are on hold. Luckily, he is married to a pediatrician, and, of course, health care workers have the ultimate job security right now.
                    A photographer friend of ours is doing porch/quarantine shots where they stand at the curb, at least 6 feet away and do pictures from there. Might be worth your friend looking into.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Two weeks ago the death total in the US was 73, the majority of that in Washington and largely connected to one nursing home, and people were saying this was over-hyped in the US. New York was just passing Washington in total count of cases. Two weeks from now no one will be able to deny this as a major epidemic in the US with widespread consequences to life and health across all states. Right now we're in the in-between, at 1500 deaths, where it's obvious to most that something serious is coming but the delay in manifestation is such that some people can still deny it and not be laughed (or cried) off the stage.
                      I don't see how any rational person can not realize we are in a full-blow epidemic. The exponential rate of infection is undeniable. The absurdity and stupidity of those saying, we only have x number dead right now, was always self-evident. The only thing that might surprise some is just how quickly their words have been proven tragically ignorant.

I still believe that much of the explosion in numbers is related to us going from no testing to some testing. Far more people have this than is being reported, which causes the numbers we are seeing to rise higher than the actual rate of infection. That is my hope, because if this increases are actually representative of the rate of infection, all our measures to slow this thing have failed, and we are doomed to the worst case curve on this for infections.

It is also bad news in terms of mortality rates, because if I'm wrong and we have tested a high percentage of cases, that means the frightening high mortality rates we are seeing are what we can expect going forward. I don't want to believe that, so I'm holding out hope on my theory that the growth we are seeing stems from the fact that this virus came to us weeks before we thought it did, and thus it is actually spreading slower than the numbers show, and with less deaths.

Comment

My MIL just got fired. 100% of her business was supplying cruise ships, so I knew this was coming. Unlike my friend in the mortgage business, I'm not sure this industry will get the support it would need to hire her back. This may be early retirement for her, if she can't find work in the coming months. Hard to start over in a new field in your 60s.

My 63 year old sister is a self employed beautician who rents a chair from a salon in Wisconsin. She is shut down and has no unemployment benefit. My wife and I will help her but it won't be enough.

Our good friend works at the school and was told today they are done until next Sept. May or may not get unemployment.

My daughter was laid off with her last day Monday. She lives with us and will be able to get unemployment. My youngest daughter is finishing school but is going to on line classes to finish the year. She has moved back in with us. Keeping her room at the campus doesn't make sense.

My wife and I are staying at my in-laws house. We were staying there to help with both of them in home hospice. Father in law passed three weeks ago, Mother in law passed early Sunday Morning. We need to attend to things here and now we should stay quarantined so we cannot be with the rest of the family.

Her funeral or interment is Tuesday. Only 8 people can attend. It is a military cemetery. Ceremony has been suspended and we can't even get out of the car.

This is a very sad, and challenging time for us. I do have faith that we will get through it. Just have to take it one day at a time.

Comment

• Gregg,

I can't even begin to express my sympathy for your losses - and at this, of all times.

might be just a crumb, but does the new Congress package cover self-employed folks like your sister who previously wouldn't qualify for unemployment? I think so - but I don't know so, and don't want to offer false hope.

maybe someone else here can clarify that possibility, and for your good friend as well.

and you have the faith - so keep the faith.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I don't see how any rational person can not realize we are in a full-blow epidemic. The exponential rate of infection is undeniable. The absurdity and stupidity of those saying, we only have x number dead right now, was always self-evident. The only thing that might surprise some is just how quickly their words have been proven tragically ignorant.

I still believe that much of the explosion in numbers is related to us going from no testing to some testing. Far more people have this than is being reported, which causes the numbers we are seeing to rise higher than the actual rate of infection. That is my hope, because if this increases are actually representative of the rate of infection, all our measures to slow this thing have failed, and we are doomed to the worst case curve on this for infections.

It is also bad news in terms of mortality rates, because if I'm wrong and we have tested a high percentage of cases, that means the frightening high mortality rates we are seeing are what we can expect going forward. I don't want to believe that, so I'm holding out hope on my theory that the growth we are seeing stems from the fact that this virus came to us weeks before we thought it did, and thus it is actually spreading slower than the numbers show, and with less deaths.
                            My theory is you are right that we were hit by the virus probably weeks before we realized it and it has torn through the population faster than many realize. The infection rate is at least 10x what we think it is. I have a feeling that when this thing is studied and analyzed we find out that the mortality rate isnt so much higher than the flu, its just that 70% of us will get it unless we stay 6 feet away from each other for at least the rest of the year.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• sorry to hear about what you're going through Gregg. Hang in there...
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Here's an excellent, comprehensive video on the coronavirus, it's characteristics what the world's people should do about it. It's an interview w a Korean doctor. It's long, over 30 mins, and in Korean w English subtitles but if everyone watched it we'd be much better off. He explains that a big reason why S. Korea (as well as other Asian countries) has been more effective in dealing w this is because everyone is wearing masks, as well as washing hands thoroughly, whereas in the West people have been told that wearing masks is not effective against contracting the virus (WHO and US surgeon general, et al) and thus not nearly as many people wear them.

We want to thank Professor Kim Woo-joo from Korea University Guro Hospital for taking his valuable time to inform our subscribers. He just started his offici...

Comment

Working...
                                X