Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    It’s almost like the easy availability of government loans caused a spike in tuition rates. Wonder why?

Comment

• Louisiana is likely to catch up to and pass the state of Washington in coronavirus deaths by Sunday or Monday. What's frightening about that is not just that Louisiana has 60% of the population of Washington but also that they had their 10th death just seven days ago, whereas the 10th death in Washington was 22 days ago.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        Nurses, doctors, grocery store workers, anyone working thru this is a hero....

The shortage of safety gear at one Manhattan hospital is so dire that desperate nurses have resorted to wearing trash bags — and some blame the situation for the coronavirus death of a beloved coll…

he shortage of safety gear at one Manhattan hospital is so dire that desperate nurses have resorted to wearing trash bags — and some blame the situation for the coronavirus death of a beloved colleague.

A stunning photo shared on social media shows three nurses at Mount Sinai West posing in a hallway while clad in large, black plastic trash bags fashioned into makeshift protective garb.

One of them is even holding the open box of 20 Hefty “Strong” 33-gallon garbage bags they used to cloak themselves.

“NO MORE GOWNS IN THE WHOLE HOSPITAL,” the caption reads.

“NO MORE MASKS AND REUSING THE DISPOSABLE ONES…NURSES FIGURING IT OUT DURING COVID-19 CRISIS.”
        All three of my sons were born in that hospital (then known as St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital).

Comment

• If anyone still thinks this is the same as the regular flu (only 2 mins):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

She looks like she's in her 20's. Good news is she recovered. W/o the ventilator/respirator tho, maybe not.

Comment

• And this video from NYC (5.5 mins):

An emergency room doctor in Elmhurst, Queens, gives a rare look inside a hospital at the center of the coronavirus pandemic. “We don’t have the tools that we...

Among the key points, not even medical staff can get the protective supplies they need for themselves, such as masks, not to mention ventilators/respirators for their patients. It was good news that other hospitals are willing to lend at least some ventilators. Hopefully, they don't end up needing them themselves while they are loaned out. If you can at all help it, stay out of hospitals for any reason.

Comment

• Vitamin C is being used to treat coronavirus in NY Hospitals. Here is the link.

"Taking large doses of vitamin C tablets would be very unlikely to protect you from COVID-19—unless you were actually vitamin C deficient," Prof. Peter McCaffery told Newsweek.

Comment

• chancellor when you were talking about having read the book men are from mars and women venus other good references are 2012 His Brain, her Brain issue from scientific american. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...in-2012-10-23/ although it seems that issue is older than 2012 from what i remember.

another decent one is the book the female brain written by the neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine. although she was called out for a lot of false claims and acknowledged it. it's still a good book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  As one who paid off my student loan, why again are we saying it is ok to not pay? Can I get my money back?

How about a compromise and pay half? Then you don't have to give me any back.
                  Do you also go to the store the day after you've bought something full price and ask for money back because now it's on sale?
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Einstein actually had a smaller brain than normal. but women and men both have the same number of neurons. what this means is that women should have a smaller area to make quicker connections. when you measure a woman's head for a hat, it will usually always be smaller than a mans. and humans brains have been shrinking over time.

when you look at a sperm whale, the largest brain in the world, it's not size that matters. like an elephant, a whale has many part of it's brain devoted to movement. an elephant is very smart, but it has to think before it moves. unlike a mayfly or hummingbird that is tiny, it's body to brain weight ratio is better.

not many people realized that Einsteins brain weighed smaller. this enabled him to make better connections as he had the same number of neurons. although his structure was a male structure with a bigger amygdala and the many differences in a gender brain. Einstein had his faults, as many of us do. but he had an advantage over us. he had a smaller area but could reach those areas as quick with the same number of connections.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      Do you also go to the store the day after you've bought something full price and ask for money back because now it's on sale?
                      I do not see how your example fits with the loan contract.

To answer the question no I do not. If it is big purchase I negotiate a better price upfront or ask them when they think it might go on sale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        I do not see how your example fits with the loan contract.

To answer the question no I do not. If it is big purchase I negotiate a better price upfront or ask them when they think it might go on sale.
                        Loan contracts are renegotiated all the time, Programs come and go, why should you begrudge others an opportunity for something beneficial to them simply because you won't get the chance to enjoy it's benefits?
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• As a way of approaching the question of estimating the mortality rate of coronavirus in the US, absent a failure of the medical system, I wonder if the Louisiana Health Department data is instructive. As of yesterday they have 2305 positive cases, 83 deaths, 676 of the cases are hospitalized, and 239 are on ventilators.

Source: http://ldh.la.gov/Coronavirus/

I read somewhere else that of those who go on ventilators, about 40% will die. I don't if that's true here, or how many of the cases aren't on a ventilator but will be at some point in the future, but that would raise the mortality rate from its current 3.6% of diagnosed cases in Louisiana to 7.7%. That's sobering.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            As a way of approaching the question of estimating the mortality rate of coronavirus in the US, absent a failure of the medical system, I wonder if the Louisiana Health Department data is instructive. As of yesterday they have 2305 positive cases, 83 deaths, 676 of the cases are hospitalized, and 239 are on ventilators.

Source: http://ldh.la.gov/Coronavirus/

I read somewhere else that of those who go on ventilators, about 40% will die. I don't if that's true here, or how many of the cases aren't on a ventilator but will be at some point in the future, but that would raise the mortality rate from its current 3.6% of diagnosed cases in Louisiana to 7.7%. That's sobering.
                            Holy shit, pretty much 50/50 once you are on the Vent. THAT is Sobering indeed.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• New York state has approved technology that allows two patients to share a single ventilator, in an effort to address a desperate need as the number of Coronavirus patients in the state rocketed past 37,000.
                              Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Thursday referred to the method as "splitting" and said it involves adding a second set of tubes to a ventilator.
                              "It's not ideal," Cuomo said, "but we believe it's workable."
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• gregg, I tried to point out how having a self centered pov on this subject is just monstrous. You came back by saying I was mean, and that you did not say I paid, screw you. I mean, I can word it differently, but your whole point is, yes, you paid, so why should anyone get debt relief. This is the I dealt with mine, screw you mentality, but I get you dont like it said that way. You glossed over where we pointed out it is about thinking about an entire generation of tens of millions of people that will not be able to begin their lives in ernest without a way out. That millions of people end up in their 60s and 70s having never cleared their student debt, and no amount of hours worked will ever give them hope out of it.

You have a clear pov, and it is not about the greater good. And whats more, you seem to not even have a clue what I am saying. In any case, this is similar to health debate. We should have coverage for everyone, and it is in everyones best interest to do so, but the self centered pov, the I negotiated a better union contract or whatever to get this so I want for me. And I dont want to pay extra so everyone can get covered like every other industrialized nation on earth. Thing is, when you have the looking out for your brother outlook and cover everybody, costs go down for everyone. Bums me out we cant get onboard and be as civilized as all these other countries in ensuring we dont bury vast swaths of our population and realize it helps everyone to do so.

No matter, we have bigger problems atm. Virus may be concentrated in the corner coast states washington, ny, california, florida, but it will get to your neck of the woods too.

Comment

Working...
                                X