Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    No doubt...but I think it's going to gradually become less deadly just like the Spanish flu a century ago. It honestly seems to me like this is the earth's way of thinning the herd every 100 years or so. It's utterly tragic for those of us who have to live (and die) through these pandemics, but when you consider the damage humans have inflicted on our planet, we should really as a species take a long hard look in the mirror.
    I can't see me ever working in either of my chosen/usual fields ever again. Tournament Poker is non existent and running the bigger ones (WSOP and WPT Deepstacks) aren't likely to come back soon and when they do, look to be vastly different in procedures. Live theatre--Hmm, who's gonna want to be on stage with 20 people and backstage with them in smaller areas? How can they fill the audiences especially when a great number of patrons are usually elderly? I think I'm gonna find something different to do for 2 years then take SSI at 62--though I have been considering a run at producing a film. That can be done compartmentally and I have some transferable skills. Who knows? I can only say--I'm extremely bored. Which is never a good thing.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Not doing to well tonight. I lost a friend I'd known since Kindergarten to covid. He and I and 4 other guys lived by each other and were friends from K to 12th grade. Walked to school together, got into trouble together and had a chance a few years back to hang out one last time. This virus is starting to take a toll on me even though I haven't lost family nor had it myself. The constant worry that comes with every cough or ache. The sending of condolences to my friends who've lost loved ones or are struggling with the after affects of this thing.

I'm sad. Tired and Angry.

Of the 6 of us who shared all those years and memories, 2-3 of us have become CV deniers. I've distanced myself from them and can't help but wonder--How do they feel tonight? They lost one of us. Will it even make a difference?

My faith in others has waned soooo much these past 4 years and more so since Covid and BLM (I know unrelated) became things.

I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow, but right now I wanna cry and beat the shit out of someone at the same time.

Stay safe.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        Not doing to well tonight. I lost a friend I'd known since Kindergarten to covid. He and I and 4 other guys lived by each other and were friends from K to 12th grade. Walked to school together, got into trouble together and had a chance a few years back to hang out one last time. This virus is starting to take a toll on me even though I haven't lost family nor had it myself. The constant worry that comes with every cough or ache. The sending of condolences to my friends who've lost loved ones or are struggling with the after affects of this thing.

Of the 6 of us who shared all those years and memories, 2-3 of us have become CV deniers. I've distanced myself from them and can't help but wonder--How do they feel tonight? They lost one of us. Will it even make a difference?

My faith in others has waned soooo much these past 4 years and more so since Covid and BLM (I know unrelated) became things.

I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow, but right now I wanna cry and beat the shit out of someone at the same time.

Stay safe.
        My condolences GITH on the loss of your friend.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• People now are saying that the new UK Strain of CV-19 may be not only more contagious but also more deadly than more common strains. And there are new strains from So. Africa and Brazil that pose potential hazards. Here is a video from Dr. John Campbell where he explains why CV-19 is an exception to the general principle that viruses evolve to less deadly strains (at 21:52-23:54).

He also talks about the new strains posing the potential for another new wave throughout much of the world because of inadequate restrictions and testing, and also about homeopathic treatments for CV-19 being complete and utter bunk.

Comment

Not doing to well tonight. I lost a friend I'd known since Kindergarten to covid. He and I and 4 other guys lived by each other and were friends from K to 12th grade. Walked to school together, got into trouble together and had a chance a few years back to hang out one last time. This virus is starting to take a toll on me even though I haven't lost family nor had it myself. The constant worry that comes with every cough or ache. The sending of condolences to my friends who've lost loved ones or are struggling with the after affects of this thing.

Stay safe.
            that's really rough ... these are trying times, hang in there
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Stay safe.
              I am sorry for your loss.

I have a close friend who is a CV denier...ish. He knows that I and one of our other friends have had covid. He told her that we were just really sick. The real covid patients end up on a ventilator. We were just used to inflate the numbers.

I think he is afraid and in denial. I pity him more than angered at him. He has other qualities that I will focus on. I have to resist thinking I hope you get it so you learn the truth. That I am right. I will set this one aside as there is already too much loss, sadness, and anger in my life to draw the line on this difference. I still pray that he doesn't get it.

Comment

• I lost a friend on New Year's Day. A wonderful man who was beloved in the community. He had been in the ICU since just after Thanksgiving.

I do a Santa Claus gig during Christmas, and I took some time to post a video to him on Facebook in early-December. I don't know if he ever saw it. I made the video when he was making a recovery, and literally the next day he was on a ventilator and never got off of it. I have this pang of guilt in making that video telling him that Santa was looking forward to seeing him on Christmas. I also know that it brought a great deal of hope to his wife and family.

COVID sucks!
                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                  People now are saying that the new UK Strain of CV-19 may be not only more contagious but also more deadly than more common strains. And there are new strains from So. Africa and Brazil that pose potential hazards. Here is a video from Dr. John Campbell where he explains why CV-19 is an exception to the general principle that viruses evolve to less deadly strains (at 21:52-23:54).

He also talks about the new strains posing the potential for another new wave throughout much of the world because of inadequate restrictions and testing, and also about homeopathic treatments for CV-19 being complete and utter bunk.
                  To be clear, John Campbell is a retired nurse and possesses no real experience, knowledge, or training in epidemiology. There have be thousands upon thousands of more well-qualified experts to cite. Not as egregious as citing the Epoch Times, but far from responsible.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                    To be clear, John Campbell is a retired nurse and possesses no real experience, knowledge, or training in epidemiology. There have be thousands upon thousands of more well-qualified experts to cite. Not as egregious as citing the Epoch Times, but far from responsible.
                    Totally wrong. He is on of the most knowledgeable, responsible and level-headed authorities on this subject. He is constantly being interviewed by news organizations for his opinions on CV-19 matters. i wish that people like him were making the decisions in this country re: this pandemic instead of the people we have now.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                      Totally wrong. He is on of the most knowledgeable, responsible and level-headed authorities on this subject. He is constantly being interviewed by news organizations for his opinions on CV-19 matters. i wish that people like him were making the decisions in this country re: this pandemic instead of the people we have now.
                      You may be right, but this post doesn't really explain why.

Bene suggested that he's simply a retired nurse and has no special experience/knowledge/training specifically in epidemiology. Your statement that he "does", doesn't hold much water without backing it up.

He's definitely a good communicator, and he obviously has background in general health. But what makes him an expert in epidemiology? You didn't really even address that.

Comment

• From what I've seen, Campbell is a retired Nurse teacher and was a clinical nurse for over 30 years. He also has a PhD in teaching, hence the Dr.

Comment

• Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                          From what I've seen, Campbell is a retired Nurse teacher and was a clinical nurse for over 30 years. He also has a PhD in teaching, hence the Dr.
                          Based on that alone, Bene’s comment still seems valid. Is there not more?

Comment

• Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                            From what I've seen, Campbell is a retired Nurse teacher and was a clinical nurse for over 30 years. He also has a PhD in teaching, hence the Dr.
                            If that is the case, what he says may be true, but only because other researchers have done the work, shared the results with him and he is regurgitating them, as he has not done the primary research himself and would not be qualified to interpret the data himself. But sometimes talking heads get to talk more on these things than legitimate researchers. Bill Nye (who I am not dissing--he is good at talking about science stuff) is an example on this. He is not a researcher on climate change or the other things he is called upon to be an "expert" on, but he is well-informed on the research others are doing and knows how to communicate/teach it to others. But Bill Nye would not be the source I cite to make a contentious (rather than consensus) claim on any subject other than the subject of how to teach science on tv, which is his field of expertise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              Based on that alone, Bene’s comment still seems valid. Is there not more?
                              He did once stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                Bill Nye (who I am not dissing--he is good at talking about science stuff) is an example on this. He is not a researcher on climate change or the other things he is called upon to be an "expert" on, but he is well-informed on the research others are doing and knows how to communicate/teach it to others. But Bill Nye would not be the source I cite to make a contentious (rather than consensus) claim on any subject other than the subject of how to teach science on tv, which is his field of expertise.
                                Great analogy, I agree

Comment

Working...
                                X