Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 5/16 at 7:46 AM, exactly 3 days ago:

- 1,550,539 cases in US, up from 1,484,287, a 4.5% increase, which is a smaller increase than last time (5.4%). The increases of the last 6 days give a doubling rate of about every 44 days. At this rate, the US projects to hit 2,000,000 cases by about June 4. The new cases for this period were 66,252 compared to 75,651 for last time, for a ratio of 0.87, which is much lower than last time (1.23) but a comparison w the figure from 2 periods ago gives a more accurate picture. The new cases for 2 periods ago was 61,318 so a comparison w this period's new cases gives a rate of 1.08, which is much higher than last time (0.90).
      - 91,985 deaths in US, up from 88,507, a 3.9% increase which is a much smaller increase than last time (6.1%). The increases of the last 6 days give a doubling rate of about every 42.5 days. At this rate, the US projects to hit 100,000 deaths by about May 25. The US mortality rate is now 5.93%, down slightly from 5.96%.
      - 4,866,928 cases worldwide, up from 4,603,907, a 5.7% increase which is about the same increase as last time (5.6%). The new cases for this period were 263,021 compared to 242,216 for last time, for a ratio of 1.09 which is higher than last time (1.03) but a comparison w the figure from 2 periods ago gives a more accurate picture. The new cases for 2 periods ago was 235,616 so a comparison w this period's new cases gives a rate of 1.12, which is much higher than last time (0.86).
      - 320,470 deaths worldwide, up from 309,035, a 3.7% increase which is a smaller increase than last time (5.4%). The world mortality rate is 6.58%, which is lower than last time (6.71%). Italy's mortality rate is 14.17%, up from 14.12%, Belgium's is 16.33%, down from 16.38%, Spain's is 11.96%, about the same as last time (11.95%), France's is 15.69%, up from 15.34%, UK's is 14.11%, down from 14.36%, Germany's is 4.59%, up from 4.56% and Canada's is 7.36%, up from 7.32%.
      - 218 countries/territories/etc. have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 2 others (North Korea, Turkmenistan). There are only 10 countries, all of which are South Pacific Island republics, that have neither reported nor have suspected cases: Kiribati, Marshall Is., Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Solomon Is., Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu. The vast majority of countries have at least 1 death, w Central African Republic having the most cases w no reported deaths, 327.

Rates of increase were smaller than last time but new cases rate were higher for both the US and the world. Cases continue to surge in Russia, Brazil, Peru, India and the Middle East and also are surging recently in Chile and Mexico.

Comment

• The Belmont Stakes just revealed its new date: June 20, at 1 1/8 miles rather than the standard 1 1/2 miles, and will now be the first leg of this bizarre triple crown season.

The Kentucky Derby is rescheduled for Saturday, September 5th and the Preakness one month later on Saturday, October 3rd.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          The Belmont Stakes just revealed its new date: June 20, at 1 1/8 miles rather than the standard 1 1/2 miles, and will now be the first leg of this bizarre triple crown season.

The Kentucky Derby is rescheduled for Saturday, September 5th and the Preakness one month later on Saturday, October 3rd.
          That last 3/8 of a mile must have been full of corona.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Are the jockeys going to stay 6 feet apart?
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              2 Altuves....

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                Secretariat laughs at social distancing guidelines.

91mf3lqaGvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  The 1 1/2 miles for the Belmont are always run very reluctantly, except for the fact it's the final leg of the Triple Crown. Many would have bypassed it if it had stayed at a mile and a half.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    The 1 1/2 miles for the Belmont are always run very reluctantly, except for the fact it's the final leg of the Triple Crown. Many would have bypassed it if it had stayed at a mile and a half.
                    Go the Distance...……….
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• WHO has agreed to conduct an inquiry into the global response to the CV-19 pandemic. The report is from CNN:

The World Health Organization (WHO) has agreed to hold an inquiry into the global response to the coronavirus pandemic, adopting a resolution a summit that has been overshadowed by President Donald Trump’s threat to permanently cut US funding to the agency.

This proposal, backed by global support from many nations, was passed w/o an objection. This despite China's previous heavy criticism of and threats to Australia for calling for this inquiry. The resolution did not mention China or any other country. Despite all this, I have no doubt that this was passed only because China agreed not to oppose it, evidently thinking they can spin everything its way and cover up or otherwise manage any incriminating evidence. We'll see what if anything comes of this. I'm not optimistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                        WHO has agreed to conduct an inquiry into the global response to the CV-19 pandemic. The report is from CNN:

The World Health Organization (WHO) has agreed to hold an inquiry into the global response to the coronavirus pandemic, adopting a resolution a summit that has been overshadowed by President Donald Trump’s threat to permanently cut US funding to the agency.

This proposal, backed by global support from many nations, was passed w/o an objection. This despite China's previous heavy criticism of and threats to Australia for calling for this inquiry. The resolution did not mention China or any other country. Despite all this, I have no doubt that this was passed only because China agreed not to oppose it, evidently thinking they can spin everything its way and cover up or otherwise manage any incriminating evidence. We'll see what if anything comes of this. I'm not optimistic.
                        I think you nailed it, rhd. China has made the incriminating evidence disappear and this will be a show investigation.
                        The Australia/China relationship will be interesting to watch going forward to be sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                          I think you nailed it, rhd. China has made the incriminating evidence disappear and this will be a show investigation.
                          The Australia/China relationship will be interesting to watch going forward to be sure.
                          So....a show boat to China?
                          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                            Reminds me of my buddy who has a small, local snow shoveling side business in the winter. Basically, just does a couple of people's driveways with a friend like kids in high school do, even though he's 40. In any event, he printed up business cards and had a typo where he said "show shoveling" instead of "snow shoveling." He ended up having a lot of fun with it - claiming that the way he snow shovels is so good and entertaining that it really is a show. But, as per usual, I digress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                              +1 for that, Steve 2.0!

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                                Reminds me of my buddy who has a small, local snow shoveling side business in the winter. Basically, just does a couple of people's driveways with a friend like kids in high school do, even though he's 40. In any event, he printed up business cards and had a typo where he said "show shoveling" instead of "snow shoveling." He ended up having a lot of fun with it - claiming that the way he snow shovels is so good and entertaining that it really is a show. But, as per usual, I digress.
                                Wait...so you are saying it should be snow boat to China?!

Who knew.

Comment

Working...
                                X