Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Pac-12 also announces an intra-conference only schedule, but WITH a delayed start. And the commissioner of the Pac-12 also tested positive.

I hate to say it, but college football is trending the wrong way and seems like these actions, in this conference and others, is just delaying the inevitable.
    What's the reason(s) for even having any college football games this Fall? Gambling industry? TV contracts?? Something else?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• making millions of dollars?

keeping fat cat donors happy?

worried about the local economies dependent on football crowds?
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        making millions of dollars?

keeping fat cat donors happy?

worried about the local economies dependent on football crowds?
        Are they allowing fans into the games?
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• crowds doubtful for September and presumably not anywhere near capacity this fall -at best

and "best" is fading fast
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            What's the reason(s) for even having any college football games this Fall? Gambling industry? TV contracts?? Something else?
            So my guess is that the NCAA football TV contracts will pay each conference school enough to keep the program running, as well as many other sports at the university. Plus, these football coaches are among the highest paid public employees in the state,so you know they don't want to take a pay cut!

The Big 10 schools, for example, made $54m apiece in 2018 from TV contracts alone.

Stanford, for instance, just ended 11 other minor sports due to a $70m shortfall (over three years) resulting from the pandemic. This despite sitting on BILLIONS in their endowment fund and, as of now, the '20 football season still ongoing.

Comment

• And some folks wonder why the concept of Redistribution of wealth is a thing
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I have a league mate I text with all the time. Fun guy. Fun to text with. He told me today his partner at work, who he shares a room with as a custom officer tested positive for covid, but he says he will not get tested. He says the more you test, the more likely you are to test positive. He says testing facilities are taking positives for funding. He says he read.it online and it happened to a friend of a friend who left the testing line without a getting tested and got emailed a positive result. He said he thinks it is happening everywhere and that is why we are seeing the spike. Yes, he is a Republican. Doesnt love trump, but mostly just because of his dumb tweets, and he preferred him to Bernie.

I told him I read online his best player is sitting out and he should trade him to me, but he did not believe me. I even said a friend of a friend told me the same thing. He still did not believe me. But he still will not get tested. Ah well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  I get the safety first argument. I wish we could prioritize 100% safety for all, but it just isn't practical, especially given the fact that this virus may be around a lot longer than some of you seem to think. I do think that a vaccine will be developed faster than ever for this thing, but most vaccines take years and years, sometimes decades. And the ones that are rushed can end up to negative results, and the mere fact that has been true is enough to scare off bunches of people in this country. We have millions who won't take a vaccine, even when one becomes available. We need to curb foolish and reckless behavior. We need to take every precaution. We need to shut down when things spike. But staying on lock down until this thing is gone is not at all feasible. Again, it could take years, not months before we are fully rid of this thing.
                  Internal documents from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that fully reopening K-12 schools and universities would be the “highest risk” for the spread of coronavirus, according to a New York Times report, as President Donald Trump and his administration push for students and teachers to return in-person to classrooms.

It seems really bizarre to me that the headline is "I’m an epidemiologist and a dad. Here’s why I think schools should reopen." yet conclude the article with: "Ultimately, when I look at the decision about school as both a father and a scientist, I see a difficult decision that must be made despite uncertainty. The risks of opening are uncertain, but the benefits are clear. We need to try to reopen.

We have been wrong before about Covid-19. In March, the epidemiology world was quite confident that transmission could not occur before a person develops symptoms. Three months later, there is consensus that asymptomatic people were likely one of the main drivers of the pandemic. In March, the CDC and the US surgeon general told the public that masks play no role in controlling the spread of the disease. Now we see masks as a central component of our reopening strategies.

We could be wrong about schools, but we cannot afford to wait to find out for certain. We need school-based Covid-19 symptom screening, testing, contact tracing, and isolation. Opening without a plan to test is irresponsible and a gamble with our children’s health."

We know with absolute certainty that the testing required to safely re-open ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. So I'm tired of seeing these arguments made because it provides coverage for the sociopaths pushing for re-opening regardless of the consequences. Most parents understand the importance of schooling and want their kids to return...WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO. And there is simply no way it's going to be safe to do so in just a few weeks.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• One thing I'll admit is still a mystery to me in comparing New York and New Jersey to Texas:

Over the past seven days, Texas has recorded 58,440 new COVID cases and 520 COVID deaths. NY + NJ, with a very similar total population to Texas, have recorded 6,424 new COVID cases and 526 COVID deaths over the past seven days. Very similar deaths, very different new case totals. I know there is a lag time between cases and deaths, but the last time NY and NJ had more new weekly cases than Texas was on June 7. By June 21, Texas was already 4x as many new cases per week as NY + NJ.

So either the lag time now between case diagnosis and death is more like 5-6 weeks than 2-3 weeks, or something else is different now between those regions.
                    Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 07-11-2020, 05:47 PM.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      One thing I'll admit is still a mystery to me in comparing New York and New Jersey to Texas:

Over the past seven days, Texas has recorded 58,440 new COVID cases and 520 COVID deaths. NY + NJ, with a very similar total population to Texas, have recorded 6,424 new COVID cases and 526 COVID deaths over the past seven days. Very similar deaths, very different new case totals. I know there is a lag time between cases and deaths, but the last time NY and NJ had more new weekly cases than Texas was on June 7. By June 21, Texas was already 4x as many new cases per week as NY + NJ.

So either the lag time now between case diagnosis and death is more like 5-6 weeks than 2-3 weeks, or something else is different now between those regions.
                      not to be trite, but come on man--you know everything's bigger in Texas!
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• The previous image is the view that makes it easier to see the patterns in deaths. But below is the view that freaks me out, when you scale the deaths at 4% of cases (which they have been in the past) as opposed 1% of cases like I did above. What is to come? This is another reason why I think the lag is more like 5-6 weeks, and why that concerns me so much.

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Florida just set an all-time US case record yesterday for a single state with 15,300! Go Florida!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                              The previous image is the view that makes it easier to see the patterns in deaths. But below is the view that freaks me out, when you scale the deaths at 4% of cases (which they have been in the past) as opposed 1% of cases like I did above. What is to come? This is another reason why I think the lag is more like 5-6 weeks, and why that concerns me so much.

Using the stats from my last update 6 days ago, the "mortality" rate in the US was 1.2% for the prior week. This week's rate so far is 1.3%. So the rate is not trending up, at least not rt now. I think future rates will stay about the same as now because it seems to be mostly younger people getting infected now who dont die at the rate of the very elderly who were a larger portion of the infected during the first wave.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Florida just set an all-time US case record yesterday for a single state with 15,300! Go Florida!
                                "Muh civil rights says i can go to tha beech. And i don't need no stinkin mask cus my president says its all a hokes."
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X