Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Wisconsin opened Bars and Restaurants last night. Bars were packed...This is going to come at a cost.
    stupid fucking people

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      stupid fucking people
      So Much of This.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        stupid fucking people
        And in New York:
        A barber working at a barbershop in a New York suburb that had been operating in defiance of the state's close order has tested positive for Covid-19, according to Ulster Country health officials.
        Ulster County health officials are searching for anyone who may have had their haircut at the barbershop over the last three weeks, a statement from the county says. Kingston is located roughly 90 miles north of New York City.
        "We are taking extraordinary measures to try and minimize the spread of this dangerous disease and learning that a barbershop has been operating illicitly for weeks with a COVID-19 positive employee is extraordinarily disheartening," said Dr. Carol Smith, the health commissioner for Ulster County, in a statement.
        County health officials are recommending anyone who received a haircut at the shop on Broadway during the past three weeks to get tested for the coronavirus.

"This kind of direct contact has the potential to dramatically spread this virus throughout our community and beyond," Smith said.
        It's happening everywhere.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
          And in New York:

It's happening everywhere.
          Is there ANY chance people like this can be sued? I mean the defied a lawful ordinance which may lead to others being harmed.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Sorrento Therapeutics is claiming they have a 100% anti-viral cure that could be available months before a vaccine. Looking deeper, they are a tiny company with some shady business in their past, so it seems to be hyperbole you would never see from legit medical people as a pump and dump on the stock. Still, if there is even a kernel of truth to the efficacy of the anti-body in controlled experiments, it is promising as part of an anti-viral cocktail that could flatten the mortality rate and get us back to normal living before a vaccine comes out.

https://www.investors.com/news/techn...s-it-has-cure/
            What's the shady business? In reading on them, they've had a couple trials go bust, but it didn't seem fraudulent or anything like that. Their CEO is a big cheerleader - every solution is the greatest thing since sliced bread kinda guy - but I'm very curious for more info if you can share.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              What's the shady business? In reading on them, they've had a couple trials go bust, but it didn't seem fraudulent or anything like that. Their CEO is a big cheerleader - every solution is the greatest thing since sliced bread kinda guy - but I'm very curious for more info if you can share.
              I can't find anything concrete--just investors who seem to have been burnt by them in the past, it seems, and scientist appalled by the over-the-top promises and misleading wording about a 100% cure without any human or even animal testing at this point. Right now, they have made fortunes for many, and a lot of those who claim to have made a ton have already cashed out, fearful that these grandiose claims are hyperbole aimed at pumping the stock.

Reading those skeptical of the news reinforce my own concerns about the wording from the CEO, which again, makes it seem like a magic potion just ready to cure anyone who takes it will be right around the corner. The CEO is a PhD without clinical experience and he is making claims about this based solely on results in a petri dish. I'm trying to temper my desire for this to be even close to true and for it to be available soon with the likely best case reality that what they have found could be the first step to an effective anti-viral treatment cocktail (not preventative, because that is impractical given the varying time these antibodies stay effective in the body) that will still take six months or more to get to the public in the best of scenarios. And that is if the human trials go well. Still, even if it is just that, it is good news.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-15-2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Wisconsin opened Bars and Restaurants last night. Bars were packed...This is going to come at a cost.
                I was never a big Green Day fan, but it's a good song. i never really listened to it before. it has an element of freewill to it.

we should consider, what if there is never a real, long term vaccine for this. what if this virus stays with us and mutates every year like the flu. what if there will always be a second wave or a third one, or a 20th one. what if mankind is really fucked, and we haven't realized it yet.

it's unlikely since this is the worst case scenario. but it's a corona-virus. sometimes they do that. i think it's incredible right now that we don't know. and we are bidding our time until we can figure it out.

it's an incredible or inevitable coincidence that it happened right now at this time, with everything else going unruly in the world surfacing. maybe there is nothing we can do to stop it, and eventually everyone will become infected.

we haven't gotten to the point of people gathering on top of the empire state building during an independence day like alien invasion holding signs welcoming them only to be blasted by death rays.

i mean when you say the phrase social distancing, i am the GOAT of social distancing. if their was a sport for it, i would be MVP. i have alot of experience, tremendous, it comes natural, i am the biggest social distance person ever, i really understand this stuff. ..which makes me really worry about everyone else. i don't think the world can do it. it's our kryptonite.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  LOL at Hanlon's Razor. My first semester college English professor brought that up in class early, asking two questions - first, where is this concept referenced in great literature, and second, why is it flawed?

Well, there's only one piece of literature I knew that referenced the quote, and I knew what the author had said later about how it was only partly right, so I went for it.

Answer: "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity.", and the author's point of view is that it's only partly right since most politicians are both villains and stupid.

The prof and I became great friends - he got me a tutoring job two years later on campus when I badly needed the cash.

It pays to read Heinlein.
                  A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." The derivation of the Hanlon eponym is not definitely known, but a very similar remark ("You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity.") appears in "Logic of Empire", a classic 1941 SF story by Robert A. Heinlein, who calls it the `devil theory' of sociology. Heinlein's popularity in the hacker culture makes plausible the supposition that `Hanlon' is derived from `Heinlein' by phonetic corruption. A similar epigram has been attributed to William James, but Heinlein more probably got the idea from Alfred Korzybski and other practitioners of General Semantics. Quoted here because it seems to be a particular favorite of hackers, often showing up in sig blocks, fortune cookie files and the login banners of BBS systems and commercial networks. This probably reflects the hacker's daily experience of environments created by well-intentioned but short-sighted people. Compare Sturgeon's Law, Ninety-Ninety Rule. https://www.eps.mcgill.ca/jargon/htm...27s-Razor.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I can't find anything concrete--just investors who seem to have been burnt by them in the past, it seems, and scientist appalled by the over-the-top promises and misleading wording about a 100% cure without any human or even animal testing at this point. Right now, they have made fortunes for many, and a lot of those who claim to have made a ton have already cashed out, fearful that these grandiose claims are hyperbole aimed at pumping the stock.

Reading those skeptical of the news reinforce my own concerns about the wording from the CEO, which again, makes it seem like a magic potion just ready to cure anyone who takes it will be right around the corner. The CEO is a PhD without clinical experience and he is making claims about this based solely on results in a petri dish. I'm trying to temper my desire for this to be even close to true and for it to be available soon with the likely best case reality that what they have found could be the first step to an effective anti-viral treatment cocktail (not preventative, because that is impractical given the varying time these antibodies stay effective in the body) that will still take six months or more to get to the public in the best of scenarios. And that is if the human trials go well. Still, even if it is just that, it is good news.
                    Thanks. No doubt the CEO is a cheerleader.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 5/13 at 7:46 AM, exactly 3 days ago:

- 1,484,287 cases in US, up from 1,408,636, a 5.4% increase, which is a larger increase than last time (4.6%). The increases of the last 6 days give a doubling rate of about every 38.25 days. The new cases for this period were 75,651 compared to 61,318 for last time, for a ratio of 1.23, which is much higher than last time (0.73) but a comparison w the figure from 2 periods ago gives a more accurate picture. The new cases for 2 periods ago was 84.075 so a comparison w this period's new cases gives a rate of 0.90, which is higher than last time (0.82) but still encouraging.
                      - 88,507 deaths in US, up from 83,425, a 6.1% increase which is a much larger increase than last time (4.2%). The increases of the last 6 days give a doubling rate of about every 41.3 days. At this rate, the US projects to hit 100,000 deaths by about May 22. The US mortality rate is now 5.96%, up slightly from 5.92%.
                      - 4,603,907 cases worldwide, up from 4,361,691, a 5.6% increase which is about the same increase as last time (5.7%). The new cases for this period were 242,216 compared to 235,616 for last time, for a ratio of 1.03 which is much higher than last time (0.83) but a comparison w the figure from 2 periods ago gives a more accurate picture. The new cases for 2 periods ago was 282,757 so a comparison w this period's new cases gives a rate of 0.86, which is lower than last time (0.91).
                      - 309,035 deaths worldwide, up from 293,266, a 5.4% increase which is a larger increase than last time (4.4%). The world mortality rate is 6.71%, about the same as last time (6.72%). Italy's mortality rate is 14.12%, up from 13.97%, Belgium's is 16.38%, same as last time (16.38%), Spain's is 11.95%, up sharply from 9.99%, France's is 15.34%, up from 15.14%, UK's is 14.36%, down from 14.44%, Germany's is 4.56%, up from 4.48% and Canada's is 7.32%, up from 7.14%.
                      - 218 countries/territories/etc. have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 2 others (North Korea, Turkmenistan). There are only 10 countries, all of which are South Pacific Island republics, that have neither reported nor have suspected cases: Kiribati, Marshall Is., Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Solomon Is., Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu. The vast majority of countries have at least 1 death, w Vietnam having the most cases w no reported deaths, 318.

Rates of increase were larger than last time and new cases rate were larger for both the US and the world but still below 1.0. Cases continue to surge in Russia, Brazil, Peru, India and the Middle East.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                        I was never a big Green Day fan, but it's a good song. i never really listened to it before. it has an element of freewill to it.

we should consider, what if there is never a real, long term vaccine for this. what if this virus stays with us and mutates every year like the flu. what if there will always be a second wave or a third one, or a 20th one. what if mankind is really fucked, and we haven't realized it yet.

it's unlikely since this is the worst case scenario. but it's a corona-virus. sometimes they do that. i think it's incredible right now that we don't know. and we are bidding our time until we can figure it out.

it's an incredible or inevitable coincidence that it happened right now at this time, with everything else going unruly in the world surfacing. maybe there is nothing we can do to stop it, and eventually everyone will become infected.

we haven't gotten to the point of people gathering on top of the empire state building during an independence day like alien invasion holding signs welcoming them only to be blasted by death rays.

i mean when you say the phrase social distancing, i am the GOAT of social distancing. if their was a sport for it, i would be MVP. i have alot of experience, tremendous, it comes natural, i am the biggest social distance person ever, i really understand this stuff. ..which makes me really worry about everyone else. i don't think the world can do it. it's our kryptonite.
                        Maybe this is the "common enemy" that the world needs to unite it. I don't think the evil aliens are coming. This will have to do.

Comment

Maybe this is the "common enemy" that the world needs to unite it. I don't think the evil aliens are coming. This will have to do.
                          the only common enemy is greed. i am no economist just understanding that i can almost explain what happened is a miracle, but i'll try.

omg the amount of money they are throwing around now in an attempt to save our republic tells you we are in deep shit and something has been fundamentally wrong for a while. the last 20 or 30 years where ceo pay rose 900% and worker pay like 12%. a direct result from off shoring jobs while making good cheaper to buy. but instead you could've paid workers more and they would've had the money to buy the same goods, the only difference shareholders and executives would've made less.

i've had two really good jobs in my life. jobs that taught me more than i ever learned in school. they took me off the streets and taught me skills. the first one was lost in plant closings during the dot.com bubble burst, the second one got shipped to India. that's when i realized to go to school for HVAC.

the companies that set up shop in China are treasonous. Greed. they left this country naked. this has been 20 years in the making. saying we did it to try to make China have a stake in social responsibility is a lie. it's a communist country. i blame Nixon. it was never going to happen. it's like voodoo economics. it's an excuse for the 'job creators' to grab as much as they can before the shit hits the fan. we sold ourselves out for false promises.

so you start to examine where we were and how we got here and the panic that is now ensuing, you start to realize that our country is in jeopardy. and it's this way because of 1% of our population. yet obviously communism is no better or worse.

look at the money they are willing to throw around now. i remember when Bush's first veto was for a 5 billion child heath insurance bill. obviously the heroes act is a wish list. but it makes Obama's bail out of banks small potatoes.

this country is going under, there is no common enemy except greed. i've played by the rules my entire life. and after getting outsourced a few times, i decided i'll fix peoples AC and furnaces. i'll keep people cool and warm. and now the government is willing to pay me to stay healthy until it's safe for me to rescue and keep comfortable the people that made these ridiculous circumstances in the first place. it's total panic. if i was in my right mind, i'd just go to Alaska and kill and skin my own animals and say screw all this and live by myself.

we aren't innocent either. the poor sold out for cheap wide screen TV's and XBox's and goods, while slowly giving up the american dream buying food with food stamps at the dollar store.

our decisions over the last 30 years are now blowing up in our faces. the virus just accelerated it. they are now offering unemployment pandemic assistance until 2021 and 10,000 off federal student loans. it won't be signed or pass, but it's desperation time.

the jobs aren't going to re-shore. we can't pay our way out of this because while the virus happened overnight, there's no safety net left to fall upon. and this is because we left ourselves naked and vulnerable to a worst case scenario thinking it would never happen- when it was anything but inevitable.

there's only one way out of this. you have to let it run it's course of devastation and then pick up the pieces.. even if we survive this, imagine the calls for austerity after the housing crises, the austerity after this is over is going to make that look Gandhian.

this is total devastation. and the things that exploited it and made it inevitable and everyone vulnerable, will continue and make it 100 times worse when this is over. this isn't a moment when everyone is going to find a common enemy and come together and right the wrongs that exacerbated it and we find some magic and we all come together and rectify this desperate situation.

again what do i really know. i don't know shit, i will be the first person to admit that. i am actually a pretty hopeful guy. but i am more scared for the world right now than ever.

Comment

• hey btw i told you i cured my cat of lung worm. i totally nailed it. her breathing is so much better now. what i thought was her depressed for going to the vet is really just calm now. less hyper. she went from having a terminal illness to cured. her behavior is a little different now. she used to stretch her arms when sleeping for better airflow, now she curls up in a ball more comfortable. also, before her chest never rose all at once in one breath, it would go more live a wave. but now it's all at once. i look at her now and am like, 'it worked didn't it' and she's like 'yeah, it did'.

she was actually more fun before. -before she was amped-up with short quick breaths running around thinking i don't have much more time and need to get out of life as much and as fast as i can. now she is just kind of hanging out. not willing to be so fatalistic and dramatic.

her feral sister is saying, 'hey can you help me too, but not on terms of a vet visit'. i suspect she has it too based on everyone's behavior. the parasite can always come back and it usually takes two treatments. i could try to give her pills in pill pockets and food. my cat sniffs her butt, and covers up the food after she eats. so i am thinking if you cough up a worm in the food another cat can get infected eating the same food.

the only problem is how willing her feral sister is going to be to let me help it. it's highly likely if one cat had it and lived in the same environment and ate the same food the other one will probably have it too.

one of the top ten accomplishments in my life, a stray cat bonding with me and asking for help about a medical issue, and i helped it, and it worked. i guess sometimes you have to have faith and believe in something.

Comment

• did you see what i did there.

question: what do i mean by saying you have to have faith and believe in something.

A) faith in science and medicine that will save the cat.
                              B) faith in God that if you believe in yourself things will work out
                              C) the cat having faith and trust in me and believing i can help her.
                              D) all of the above

answer: D) all of the above.

don't you just love all of the above questions. i've taken so many tests in the last year in school that i knew the test maker at the school so well i could tell what the answer was just on how he worded questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                                C) the cat having faith and trust in me and believing i can help her.
                                [insert] erwin schrödinger joke. her chest used to rise like a wave while breathing.

20 years ago i would've been able to do better than that. i am either getting old or drunk or both. heh

Comment

Working...
                                X