Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I don't understand your question. Could you clarify? What numbers are you talking about?
    The death per capita numbers you used, I was thinking that yes places like NYC, Seattle and SF/LA are very populace, but they are also major international travel hubs which might contribute to the Death Per Capita numbers. I'm not good at analytics, so I was just asking--I may have missed it though.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• ok, DMT at least responded to my point, which is appreciated.

I'd like to think that if another poster made some shit up and/or blatantly mischaracterized a third poster, I'd call that out.

but that's not the prevailing mood here, clearly.

seeing as KS has dug in his heels - why, I don't know - and at least someone finally said what the rest of you I assume are thinking ('ok, yeah, that's not what JJ actually said'), I'm ready to call it a day. it's all really disappointing, but I can't change the mood.

so stay safe, everybody.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        so something like, "first off, the most important post in this thread was a number of pages back about how different types of people communicate very differently.

so I have to realize that posters here truly believe they are being "direct" in their responses.

my post about how all 7 states with the highest death tolls have Democratic Governors was intended to be so obviously 'accurate, but so misleading' that it would help clarify why the "all 8 states R Governors" comment had some of that same defect.

but that's not how it was read, I can see that. so that was a crossed-wires communication."

would that help?
        It's clear and I totally disagree.

The GOP is known to be the anti science party, the FU everyone else party and the Don't tell me what to do Mr Educated guy party. You can disagree and force me to spend all night giving you examples, but you know I'm right and I believe most in here would agree.

The GOP Governors are doing it for any one of those reasons or even worse, they think it's not serious or they think it won't be as bad for them--Their reluctance and/or refusal top listen to Dr Fauci's advice is indicative of the GOP and thus every bit valid when used in correlation to who's complying and who's not.

On the other hand, who dies and where they die has NO political component at the moment, Only when this thing has swept through the country and the last person has dies from it will we see any accurate correlation of death and political influence.

But right NOW we can absolutely see who is complying and who is not and it's not at all misleading.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Here is an interesting but scary read on the unusual pathogenesis of of this disease. While it is more deadly for the elderly, it seems to affect some younger people harshly. More cases of healthy younger folks with no known preexisting conditions dying are emerging. Until we know why, it is something younger folks really need to be mindful of. This article puts forth several possible theories and none of them are things you are look at yourself in the mirror and know. http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...634#post369634 :

"You know, you get so many people who do well and then some people who just, bingo, they're on a respirator, they're on ECMO (a cardio-pulmonary machine) and they're dead," Fauci told me when I interviewed him for my podcast, "Coronavirus: Fact vs. Fiction."

"I mean, the dichotomy between that, there's something there, Sanjay, that we're missing from a pathogenesis standpoint. And I don't think it's only if you're elderly or if you have underlying conditions. There's something else going on there that hopefully we'll ultimately figure out."
          The link just brings you back to this same page. You need to fix.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            BTW Kevin, do your numbers take into account that NY, CA and WA are all major international entry states?
            Strangely, I suspect that's insignificant. Hawaii has a very low rate, even though Honolulu is a concrete jungle and they had many, many flights from Asia until barred. In addition, Puerto Rico has an unusually low exposure rate, even though they were highly exposed to NYC visitors (among others) and San Juan is a fairly crowded metro area.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
              The link just brings you back to this same page. You need to fix.
              Sorry. Fixed.

Comment

A separate point you and KS and FS and others have disagreed on is more open ended and thus more interesting to me, and that is, are these governors right or wrong? The argument is, does the spread of this thing get impacted by the natural social distancing that occurs in sparsely populated areas? That is an argument I'd like to see data on, because my sense of logic tells me that is probably does (but at FS pointed out, even sparsely populated states have urban centers). I can be convinced either way on this, if someone brings the facts. Either way, I hope we can all agree on the fact that South Carolina not shutting down is egregious.
                I think governors should err on the side of caution. Part of the benefit of doing something state wide is it can convey the seriousness of the issue. If there is no state wide policy are rural folks still going to bars or parties or churches like they normally do ? I'm not sure. A small town an hour north of Seattle had a church choir practice where apparently 45 out of 60 members of the choir were infected. I think there was a somewhat similar funeral event in a smaller Georgia town. The spread may be slower in rural environments, but if they keep meeting in groups then I see no possibility that they don't eventually spread the disease. Rural America better not think that this is something that doesn't affect them, because I think that isn't a reasonable belief.
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• On the nightly news last night, our local Des Moines station had a rep from the Parks and Recreation department on stressing that Des Moines has 75 parks available that people should get out and enjoy...just keep a 6 foot distance. I'll pass but thanks?

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                    On the nightly news last night, our local Des Moines station had a rep from the Parks and Recreation department on stressing that Des Moines has 75 parks available that people should get out and enjoy...just keep a 6 foot distance. I'll pass but thanks?
                    We have been taking our young boys for walks in the park. I don't see a infection risk with it, aside from all the goose poop on the asphalt path, and the risk of ticks in the grass around it. The park has the playgrounds closed, so it is just people walking. Everyone is well spread apart and everyone is outside. The boys get stir crazy cooped up, and walking around our neighborhood or that park seems to be the safest/only thing to do to get outside. We have been cooped up much of the winter, so getting some sunlight is good for them, I think. At no time were any of us within 6 feet of anyone else, except for one time a biker whizzed pass up pretty close.

Comment

We have been taking our young boys for walks in the park. I don't see a infection risk with it, aside from all the goose poop on the asphalt path, and the risk of ticks in the grass around it. The park has the playgrounds closed, so it is just people walking. Everyone is well spread apart and everyone is outside. The boys get stir crazy cooped up, and walking around our neighborhood or that park seems to be the safest/only thing to do to get outside. We have been cooped up much of the winter, so getting some sunlight is good for them, I think. At no time were any of us within 6 feet of anyone else, except for one time a biker whizzed pass up pretty close.
                      No issue with just a walk through...it's good for them and probably pretty safe as you say.

Comment

I think it is important for people to get outside and get sunlight and exercise. Stay away from other people and enjoy the outdoors when you can
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          I think governors should err on the side of caution. Part of the benefit of doing something state wide is it can convey the seriousness of the issue. If there is no state wide policy are rural folks still going to bars or parties or churches like they normally do ? I'm not sure. A small town an hour north of Seattle had a church choir practice where apparently 45 out of 60 members of the choir were infected. I think there was a somewhat similar funeral event in a smaller Georgia town. The spread may be slower in rural environments, but if they keep meeting in groups then I see no possibility that they don't eventually spread the disease. Rural America better not think that this is something that doesn't affect them, because I think that isn't a reasonable belief.
                          and as far as the other discussion about sparsely populated states. North of SF/Sacramento (Placer County, wink, wink) there is absolutely no one in California. But apparently the governer still shut it down. And it's actually like that in most of America. Cities/Suburbs, surrounded by lots of unpopulated land.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            I think it is important for people to get outside and get sunlight and exercise. Stay away from other people and enjoy the outdoors when you can
                            SO happy I don't live in an apartment anymore. Even going into my yard has been fantastic for sanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                              SO happy I don't live in an apartment anymore. Even going into my yard has been fantastic for sanity.
                              Any time out of the house seems really enjoyable now. Unless it is grocery shopping and then it seems like a death trap (ok, not really that bad, but a little stressful).
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X