No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India is opening the Taj Mahal to the public after being closed for 6 months:

India's iconic heritage monument Taj Mahal has been reopened after the closure of nearly 6 months due to pandemic COVID-19 outbreak. The heritage monument to...

I dont know whether this is good news or bad. My initial reaction was that it was good news because it indicates that things are getting closer to returning to normal. But CV-19 infections continue to surge in India more than in practically any other place in the world and they will soon pass the US in cases. They will restrict visitor numbers to 5000 per day and will follow all the recommendations re: social distancing and PPE. But this will encourage more travel not only domestically but internationally as India is not banning international travel generally, further spreading infections. Whatever the case, the timing of this is curious. Why are they just doing this now? They could have put all the CV-19 safeguards in place and opened it up long before now. Why now when infections continue to surge to record numbers?

Comment

• Wisconsin declares new public health emergency after surge in coronavirus cases among young people

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Wisconsin declares new public health emergency after surge in coronavirus cases among young people

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wi...le/ar-BB19jsja
        Who could have ever imagined?
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• In case you still think the US response to the CV-19 pandemic is the worst, here are 2 videos. The first is long and has a number of topics but I direct you to the segment from 14:03-17:59:

“Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question everything.” (Neil deGrasse Tyson)Western Australia (Rudi Petrig, Mark McGowan)https://soperth.com.au/w...

To summarize, the Netherlands gov't says that 1) children under 12 do not have to social distance around each or adults, 2) children from 12-17 do not need to social distance from each other, 3) children do not need to be tested unless they are seriously ill, 4) the literature is unclear on whether wearing non-surgical face masks is public is effective, 5) facemasks are unnecessary if people follow the other safeguards an the gov't is not generally recommending wearing facemasks in public. All this despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary that we've known about for months. The Netherlands is a 1st-world, democracy, not some backwards 3rd-world country so it has absolutely no excuse at all for this. Oh yeah, Netherlands is experiencing a 2nd wave surge in cases.

2nd video:

► SUBSCRIBE for daily travel videos: http://bit.ly/2hyQnZ1► INSTAGRAM for more! https://www.instagram.com/drewbinsky/I truly can't believe my eyes... Here i...

They're tired of masks so they've stopped wearing them. They dont have many cases so they're not scared. They want to vacation like normal. The presenter says he notices only about 1% of people wearing masks. One guy says that Corona is from God, nothing can be done about it. Another guy says the Sun will end the pandemic. Another guy says he doesnt think CV-19 will return. Altho Egypt has had over 100,000 cases, it's true that it isnt experiencing many cases now, only about 150 per day. But w attitudes and behavior like this, that wont last long.

The stupidity, irresponsibility, incompetence and poor judgment isnt just in the US, folks. It's worldwide.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
            In case you still think the US response to the CV-19 pandemic is the worst, here are 2 videos. The first is long and has a number of topics but I direct you to the segment from 14:03-17:59:

“Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question everything.” (Neil deGrasse Tyson)Western Australia (Rudi Petrig, Mark McGowan)https://soperth.com.au/w...

To summarize, the Netherlands gov't says that 1) children under 12 do not have to social distance around each or adults, 2) children from 12-17 do not need to social distance from each other, 3) children do not need to be tested unless they are seriously ill, 4) the literature is unclear on whether wearing non-surgical face masks is public is effective, 5) facemasks are unnecessary if people follow the other safeguards an the gov't is not generally recommending wearing facemasks in public. All this despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary that we've known about for months. The Netherlands is a 1st-world, democracy, not some backwards 3rd-world country so it has absolutely no excuse at all for this. Oh yeah, Netherlands is experiencing a 2nd wave surge in cases.

2nd video:

► SUBSCRIBE for daily travel videos: http://bit.ly/2hyQnZ1► INSTAGRAM for more! https://www.instagram.com/drewbinsky/I truly can't believe my eyes... Here i...

They're tired of masks so they've stopped wearing them. They dont have many cases so they're not scared. They want to vacation like normal. The presenter says he notices only about 1% of people wearing masks. One guy says that Corona is from God, nothing can be done about it. Another guy says the Sun will end the pandemic. Another guy says he doesnt think CV-19 will return. Altho Egypt has had over 100,000 cases, it's true that it isnt experiencing many cases now, only about 150 per day. But w attitudes and behavior like this, that wont last long.

The stupidity, irresponsibility, incompetence and poor judgment isnt just in the US, folks. It's worldwide.
            And in Wisconsin.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              Who could have ever imagined?
              Well, we now have data and fact that confirm alcohol in the bloodstream does not prevent viral spread. I mean, my state has to contribute something positive to the battle against COVID.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Well, we now have data and fact that confirm alcohol in the bloodstream does not prevent viral spread. I mean, my state has to contribute something positive to the battle against COVID.
                Maybe the people in that study just didn't drink enough. My advice would be to start drinking heavily.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                  Maybe the people in that study just didn't drink enough. My advice would be to start drinking heavily.
                  LOL...University of Wisconsin campuses and "didn't drink enough" is about as likely as me winning the lottery.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    LOL...University of Wisconsin campuses and "didn't drink enough" is about as likely as me winning the lottery.
                    Explains quite a bit, that and December games at Lambo.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Health officials in Indiana reported on Friday 1,195 new cases of coronavirus over the last 24 hours, along with 18 additional deaths, as the state prepares to move to the final phase of its coronavirus reopening plan on Saturday.

They think this is good enough to go back to business as usual. Wow!

Comment

Health officials in Indiana reported on Friday 1,195 new cases of coronavirus over the last 24 hours, along with 18 additional deaths, as the state prepares to move to the final phase of its coronavirus reopening plan on Saturday.

They think this is good enough to go back to business as usual. Wow!
                        Singling out Indiana doesnt strike me as particularly significant per se. Yes, you can argue that Indiana shouldnt reopen but you can make the same argument for every single state in the US except for one. Indiana's cases have been pretty stable at an average of about 900 per day for about 1.5 months. Indiana has about 2% of the US population and their daily cases are almost exactly the same per capita as the US overall. The WHO recommendations are that jurisdictions shouldnt open up until their cases fall below 1 per 100,000 people for 14 (?) days. For Indiana, this would be about 67 per day so they're nowhere near that but neither is practically any other state. The only exception is Vermont, which has about 600,000 people so their threshold number of cases is 6 and they have had only about 4.5 cases per day over the last 14 days. Most states are over 10 times the threshold number and the US overall is 13 times over.

Comment

Singling out Indiana doesnt strike me as particularly significant per se. Yes, you can argue that Indiana shouldnt reopen but you can make the same argument for every single state in the US except for one. Indiana's cases have been pretty stable at an average of about 900 per day for about 1.5 months. Indiana has about 2% of the US population and their daily cases are almost exactly the same per capita as the US overall. The WHO recommendations are that jurisdictions shouldnt open up until their cases fall below 1 per 100,000 people for 14 (?) days. For Indiana, this would be about 67 per day so they're nowhere near that but neither is practically any other state. The only exception is Vermont, which has about 600,000 people so their threshold number of cases is 6 and they have had only about 4.5 cases per day over the last 14 days. Most states are over 10 times the threshold number and the US overall is 13 times over.
                          Except Indiana borders Illinois. And Indiana is where the division I work for is located. Opening Indiana puts people I know at risk.

1195 over 900 is significant enough of an increase to hold off on the opening of the state. This is irresponsible.

Not every state is moving into their final stages. If they have similar numbers to current Illinois or Indiana I certainly would make the same argument.

Comment

• The world just passed 1 million CV-19 deaths .

Comment

Except Indiana borders Illinois. And Indiana is where the division I work for is located. Opening Indiana puts people I know at risk.

1195 over 900 is significant enough of an increase to hold off on the opening of the state. This is irresponsible.

Not every state is moving into their final stages. If they have similar numbers to current Illinois or Indiana I certainly would make the same argument.
                              I hope that all of the people close to you remain safe. My point is that similar or worse situations exist in practically every state. It is difficult to compare the current restrictions or lack thereof in the different states. But here is an interesting article at Vox I found that tries to assess the relative feasibility of opening the different states: https://www.vox.com/2020/5/28/212705...tates-map-data. According to this article, which is 3.5 weeks old, there are only 4 states that are ready to reopen: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Colorado. Indiana does seem to be below average re: its feasibility to reopen, and so are Illinois and Wisconsin. But there appear to be many states that are even worse in this respect, such as Missouri, Kansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia and South Carolina, among others.

Also, DC has an order requiring travelers that have spent more than 24 hours in a "hi risk" state to self-quarantine for 14 days. There are 31 states on this list, as of Sept 21. Yes, Indiana is one of them but so are 30 other states.

It is noteworthy that in the Vox article it uses 4 cases per 100,000 people as the threshold of whether a jurisdiction should reopen, which is less strict than the WHO recommendation.
                              Last edited by rhd; 09-27-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I hope that all of the people close to you remain safe. My point is that similar or worse situations exist in practically every state. It is difficult to compare the current restrictions or lack thereof in the different states. But here is an interesting article at Vox I found that tries to assess the relative feasibility of opening the different states: https://www.vox.com/2020/5/28/212705...tates-map-data. According to this article, which is 3.5 weeks old, there are only 4 states that are ready to reopen: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Colorado. Indiana does seem to be below average re: its feasibility to reopen, and so are Illinois and Wisconsin. But there appear to be many states that are even worse in this respect, such as Missouri, Kansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia and South Carolina, among others.

Also, DC has an order requiring travelers that have spent more than 24 hours in a "hi risk" state to self-quarantine for 14 days. There are 31 states on this list, as of Sept 21. Yes, Indiana is one of them but so are 30 other states.

It is noteworthy that in the Vox article it uses 4 cases per 100,000 people as the threshold of whether a jurisdiction should reopen, which is less strict than the WHO recommendation.
                                Thank you and same to you and yours.

I understand your point. And agree with you.

I will add:

The closer the state to each of us the more influence the decisions of the governors have on our general individual well being. The decision by Indiana to open can stand on it's own as bad for local and general health of a nation. It is the one that I read that clearly is hypocritical and a bad choice. It also makes our news more often and in more detail as a border state.

Comment

Working...
                                X