No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US passed 10 mil. -19 cases today, a couple days earlier than I projected just 5 days ago . And another new record today: 132,540 new cases according to WorldoMeters' stats. 4th straight day that we've set a new record. And we're not just ekeing out new records, we're zooming to them. Man, was I ever wrong when I predicted that the fall wave would not be as bad as the summer wave.

Comment

• White House chief of staff Mark Meadows has tested positive for coronavirus.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
        US passed 10 mil. -19 cases today, a couple days earlier than I projected just 5 days ago . And another new record today: 132,540 new cases according to WorldoMeters' stats. 4th straight day that we've set a new record. And we're not just ekeing out new records, we're zooming to them. Man, was I ever wrong when I predicted that the fall wave would not be as bad as the summer wave.
        Sure looks like the third wave will dwarf the first two. we seem to have grown comfortable with the current levels of cases and deaths. But that comfort level may be tested this fall and winter. I just found out this week that a co-worker I used to see everyday is in the ICU on a ventilator. I guess a lot of people probably know someone impacted.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Sure looks like the third wave will dwarf the first two. we seem to have grown comfortable with the current levels of cases and deaths. But that comfort level may be tested this fall and winter. I just found out this week that a co-worker I used to see everyday is in the ICU on a ventilator. I guess a lot of people probably know someone impacted.
          Seitzer's college room-mate is the closest I am. My niece and nephew (back in NJ) have it now, but are both recovering well.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• 6 corners gas and grub convenience store in Arlington Iowa now has a sign up saying...No mask required...please remove before entering store...trust me, Iowa isn't turning blue anytime soon

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
              6 corners gas and grub convenience store in Arlington Iowa now has a sign up saying...No mask required...please remove before entering store...trust me, Iowa isn't turning blue anytime soon
              I thought you were just being sarcastic. Nope!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                Our good friends and neighbors across the street tested positive a week ago. They are sick but not in the hospital. Both have some other health issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                  6 corners gas and grub convenience store in Arlington Iowa now has a sign up saying...No mask required...please remove before entering store...trust me, Iowa isn't turning blue anytime soon
                  I thought the whole crazy counterargument to masks was that freedom to not wear a mask was more important than public health and the lives that are lost by people not wearing masks. So, why is this place telling people what to do. By their own thought-process, shouldn't they have just put the first three words and left of the part where they told people what to do?
                  Last edited by Sour Masher; 11-09-2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sour masher View Post
                    i thought the whole crazy counterargument to masks was that freedom to not wear a mask was more important than public health and the lives that are lost by people not wearing masks. So, why is this please telling people what to do. By their own thought-process, shouldn't they have just put the first three words and left of the part where they told people what to do?
                    don't be a sheeple! Think for yourself by doing the exact opposite of what most normal people would do!

Comment

• some hope ... of course this is still early days, but still ...

BBC: Covid vaccine: First 'milestone' vaccine offers 90% protection

The developers - Pfizer and BioNTech - described it as a "great day for science and humanity".

Their vaccine has been tested on 43,500 people in six countries and no safety concerns have been raised.

The companies plan to apply for emergency approval to use the vaccine by the end of the month.

There are still huge challenges ahead, but the announcement has been warmly welcomed with scientists describing themselves smiling "ear to ear" and some suggesting life could be back to normal by spring. ...
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        some hope ... of course this is still early days, but still ...

Definitely good news. I do worry this could put the breaks on stimulus in the US, even though many still need to to make it to the Spring.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          some hope ... of course this is still early days, but still ...

Commence conspiracy theory that Pfizer intentionally withheld this data until after the election so that Trump could not benefit.

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 11/2 at 7:46 AM, exactly 7 days ago. Mortality rate is figured using the current death total divided by the total cases from the update 3 weeks ago (10/19).

- 10,292,492 cases in the US, up from 9,475,872, an increase of 8.62% which is a much larger increase than last time (6.60%). The new cases for this period were 816,620 which gives a 7-day daily average of 116,660, way, way up from 83,756. A comparison w last period's new cases (586,295) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.393, much higher than that of the last update (1.169) and the highest since June 29. The current test positivity rate is 7.89%, much higher than that of the last update (6.38%) and even farther above the WHO threshold figure of 5.0%. Currently, there are only 2 states that have an R-naught below 1.0, the same # as the last update, so the overall US R-naught must be well above the recommended threshold of 1.0. The values for the different states range from 0.82-1.52. Things continue to get much worse.
                            - 243,771 deaths in the US, up from 236,501, an increase of 3.07% which is a larger increase than last time (2.60%). The new deaths for this period were 7,270 which gives a 7-day daily average of 1,039, up from 856. The mortality rate is 2.91% (243,771/8,388,013), slightly lower than last time (2.96% (236,501/7,992,932)). The mortality rate for the week's new deaths is 1.84% (7,270/395,081), higher than last time (1.68% (5,991/355,866)).
                            - 50,796,324 cases worldwide, up from 46,843,898, an increase of 8.44% which is a larger increase than last time (8.04%). The new cases for this period were 3,952,426 which gives a 7-day daily average of 564,632, up from 498,145. A comparison w last period's new cases (3,487,018) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.133, which is about the same as last time (1.139).
                            - 1,264,291 deaths worldwide, up from 1,207,168, an increase of 4.73% which is a larger increase than last time (4.00%). The new deaths for this period were 57,123 which gives a 7-day daily average of 8,160, up from 6,627. The mortality rate is 3.14% (1,264,291/40,295,165), slightly lower than last time (3.20% (1,207,168/37,766,210)). The mortality rate for the week's new deaths is 2.26% (57,123/2,528,955), which is higher than that of the previous period (1.97% (46,389/2,355,531)).

New case rate increases went up for both the US and the world, the rate of increase of new cases went up for the US and new death rates also went up for both. For the US, the R-naught seems to remain well above 1.0, and the test positivity rate continues to go up sharply.

Cases continue to surge in virtually all of Europe, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada, Nepal, the Philippines, Indonesia, Myanmar, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Jordan, Iraq, Iran and Morocco. And cases have surged recently in Georgia and Lebanon. But case increases have slowed recently in Argentina.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                              Commence conspiracy theory that Pfizer intentionally withheld this data until after the election so that Trump could not benefit.
                              Would you have a problem with it if that were true?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                Would you have a problem with it if that were true?
                                If it were true, yes I would have a problem with it. I find it extremely unlikely that it is true. Especially considering that whoever comes out with the vaccine first and most effective is going to make an assload of money and there is a lot of competition right now. If they intentionally waited until after the election, they ran the risk of one of the other companies beating them to the punch.

Comment

Working...
                                X