No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case anybody missed Trump mocking Laura Ingraham for wearing a mask, here ya go. Clip at the start.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Dr. Anthony Fauci's restraint appears to have evaporated in a Washington Post interview that was published Saturday night, in which he called out the White House for allowing its strategy for fighting the virus to be shaped in part by a neuroradiologist with no training in the field of infectious disease and said he appreciated chief of staff Mark Meadows' honesty when he admitted to CNN's Jake Tapper during a recent interview that the administration has given up controlling the spread of the virus.

Fauci did not mince words describing what he views as the untoward influence of Dr. Scott Atlas, a controversial figure who has become the President's de facto Covid adviser. Atlas, a White House coronavirus task force member who took on more prominence as Fauci and Dr. Deborah Birx receded from public view at the White House, has misrepresented the effectiveness of masks and discouraged testing of asymptomatic people, even though most medical experts believe it is a critical element of stopping the spread of the virus.

"I have real problems with that guy," the Washington Post quoted Fauci as saying about Atlas. "He's a smart guy who's talking about things that I believe he doesn't have any real insight or knowledge or experience in. He keeps talking about things that when you dissect it out and parse it out, it doesn't make any sense."
      https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/01/polit...ign/index.html
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 10/26 at 7:46 AM, exactly 7 days ago. Mortality rate is figured using the current death total divided by the total cases from the update 3 weeks ago (10/12).

- 9,475,872 cases in the US, up from 8,889,577, an increase of 6.60% which is a larger increase than last time (5.97%). At the current rate of increase, the US will have 10 mil. cases by sometime next Sunday, 11/8. The new cases for this period were 586,295 which gives a 7-day daily average of 83,756, way up from 71,652. A comparison w last period's new cases (501,564) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.169, lower than that of the last update (1.270). The current test positivity rate is 6.38%, higher than that of the last update (6.17%) and even farther above the WHO threshold figure of 5.0%. Currently, there are only 2 states that have R-naught below 1.0 a decrease from the 3 states last update, the lowest number since I started keeping this stat, so the overall US R-naught must be well above the recommended threshold of 1.0. The values for the different states range from 0.91-1.29. Things continue to get worse.
        - 236,501 deaths in the US, up from 230,510, an increase of 2.60% which is about the same increase as last time (2.57%). The new deaths for this period were 5,991 which gives a 7-day daily average of 856, up from 825. The mortality rate is 2.96% (236,501/7,992,932), slightly lower than last time (3.02% (230,510/7,637,066)). The mortality rate for the week's new deaths is 1.68% (5,991/355,866), lower than last time (1.83% (5,778/315,601)).
        - 46,843,898 cases worldwide, up from 43,356,880, an increase of 8.04% which is a larger increase than last time (7.60%). At the current rate of increase, the world will have 50 mil. cases by sometime next Saturday, 11/7. The new cases for this period were 3,487,018, which gives a 7-day daily average of 498,145, up from 437,388. A comparison w last period's new cases (3,061,715) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.139, which is lower than last time (1.211).
        - 1,207,168 deaths worldwide, up from 1,160,779, an increase of 4.00% which is a larger increase than last time (3.66%). The new deaths for this period were 46,389 which gives a 7-day daily average of 6,627, up from 5,860. The mortality rate is 3.20% (1,207,168/37,766,210), slightly lower than last time (3.28% (1,160,779/35,410,679)). The mortality rate for the week's new deaths is 1.97% (46,389/2,355,531), about the same as that of the previous period (1.96% (41,022/2,094,455)).

There now is a case in the Marshall Is., bring the total # of countries/territories that have cases to 221. There now are only 8 countries (all in the South Pacific) that have neither a reported nor a suspected case: Kiribati, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.

New case rate increases went down for both the US and the world, but the rate of increase of new cases went up for both. For the US, the R-naught seems to remain well above 1.0, and the test positivity rate continues to go up.

Cases continue to surge in virtually all of Europe, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada, Armenia, Nepal, the Philippines, Indonesia, Myanmar, Azerbaijan, Jordan, Iraq, Iran and Morocco.
        Last edited by rhd; 11-03-2020, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• President Donald Trump suggested to a Florida crowd he may fire Dr. Anthony Fauci after the election. He was complaining about news media coverage of Covid-19 when the crowd broke out into a "Fire Fauci" chant. "Don't tell anybody, but let me wait until a little bit after the election," Trump said to cheers. "I appreciate the advice."
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
            Here is another very good video about CV-19 herd immunity. It is by Sabine Hossenfelder, a physicist who usually talks about physics. She is very smart, very educated and is what I would call ruthlessly scientific:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NENh...neHossenfelder
            i used to goto her blog a lot for a short while. until I got drunk and sort of embarrassed myself. I don't agree with everything she believes in but she's pretty awesome.

Comment

• Another new world record today: US w 108,389 new cases .

Edit: 107,872 cases, according to NY Times' stats. I would expect another new record today, as the totals for the states that have reported already appear to be up.
              Last edited by rhd; 11-05-2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• they seem to say that vitamin D makes a difference. which is sort of concerning when you factor people go outside less. perfect storm-like stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                  they seem to say that vitamin D makes a difference. which is sort of concerning when you factor people go outside less. perfect storm-like stuff.
                  Yup, there's pretty sound research in this that strongly points to Vitamin D deficiencies resulting in more to much more negative outcomes. I can also add that every medical professional I know is taking Vitamin D supplements (as am I).
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Yup, there's pretty sound research in this that strongly points to Vitamin D deficiencies resulting in more to much more negative outcomes. I can also add that every medical professional I know is taking Vitamin D supplements (as am I).
                    I've been taking Vitamin D supplements for years.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      No shortage of D here in So Cal.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        No shortage of D here in So Cal.
                        I see what you did there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          I isagree
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            nice to have all those "D"'s ... for us up here north of the borer it would have been "I see what you i there"
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              nice to have all those "D"'s ... for us up here north of the borer it would have been "I see what you i there"
                              Some of us have no shortage of D. Others... well I'm sorry for your wife.

Comment

• Yep, another record today: 118,204 (WorldoMeters stat).

Edit: 121,504 according to NY Times stats.
                                Last edited by rhd; 11-06-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X