Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    I had to do something to cook up all those recipes GITH and Knuckle Balls have been giving me, y'know?
    Yeah, we're gonna have to see the "after" photo from all of us once this thing is over...……...
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• More China shenanigans:

FBI and federal cyber-security agents are warning that hackers linked to the Chinese government are trying to steal coronavirus-related research from U.S. co...

Typical China behavior: lie/cheat/steal your way to dominance.

Comment

• a friend from around my block in my small town - population 7000 people - first officer to die in the line of duty in 125 years
        extremely friendly beat cop - liked and known by all - wife a teacher in town - there will be a public processional through the streets tomorrow - people wil physically distance wear masks and orange and blue for the Mets
        [URL="https://people.com/human-interest/new-jersey-police-officer-father-of-three-dies-coronavirus-at-45/"]

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          a friend from around my block in my small town - population 7000 people - first officer to die in the line of duty in 125 years
          extremely friendly beat cop - liked and known by all - wife a teacher in town - there will be a public processional through the streets tomorrow - people wil physically distance wear masks and orange and blue for the Mets
          [URL="https://people.com/human-interest/new-jersey-police-officer-father-of-three-dies-coronavirus-at-45/"]
          My condolences.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Gov Hogan opening up Maryland (partially) on Friday. His stay-at-home order has been in place since 3/30. Retail stores and some personal services, e.g. barbershops, will be allowed to operate at 50% capacity. Counties have the option of keeping current restrictions in place.

Maryland is my home state and I was surprised that he is opening up this early. The pandemic in Maryland is not slowing down as much as it is in the US overall. I wasnt expecting this until maybe around Memorial Day. My county is one of the hardest hit and our county, as well as several others, indicated it is not ready to open up yet.

Comment

• in my original post about this virus i mentioned the disease FIP that is a lethal coronavirus and infects cats. cats get other coronaviruses too. i learned a lot when my cat was sick, there's a lot of medications for humans that be used off label for cats.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...r-cats/611341/ A Much-Hyped COVID-19 Drug Is Almost Identical to a Black-Market Cat Cure

not a conspiracy, just business. remdesivir is that black market drug, or it's precursor is. but they won't legalize it for cats because it might get in the way of human trials. so for a few years we have had an awful feline disease that is curable, but it won't come to the market because you can make more money with humans. but we never had a use for it until now.
              “We almost fell out of our chairs,” says Weigner. This is ridiculous, he remembers thinking. This can’t work this well. Wait, wait, stop, go back? It did what? The initial study was small and under artificial conditions, but in a follow-up field trial of 31 pets with naturally acquired FIP, 25 ultimately made it—an unheard-of recovery rate.
              so we are making cat ladies go to a black market in china and they are injecting their sick cats with unlabeled drugs, and it works.

i mean come on guy's, we can do better than this. treatments cost 7k-10k on the black market. it's like legalizing pot, instead of money going where you don't know, have it go where you do.

Comment

• i take credit for my jaws in the time of the coronavirus quotes. which i thought was pretty good. but i found this on the internet today.

the Titanic in the time of the coronavirus.

- There isn't any iceberg
                - It’s a fake iceberg
                - There was an iceberg but, it's in a totally different ocean
                - Many people are saying it's the biggest iceberg
                - The iceberg is in this ocean, but it will melt very soon
                - There is an iceberg, but we didn't hit the iceberg
                - We hit the iceberg, but the damage will be repaired very shortly
                - I knew from the beginning there was an iceberg, long before people called it an iceberg
                - The iceberg is a Chinese iceberg
                - We are taking on water, but every passenger who wants a lifeboat can get a lifeboat, and they are beautiful lifeboats
                - Look, passengers need to ask nicely for the lifeboats if they want them
                - We don't have any lifeboats, we're not lifeboat distributors
                - Passengers should have planned for icebergs and brought their own lifeboats
                - I really don't think we need that many lifeboats
                - We have lifeboats and they're supposed to be our lifeboats, not the passengers' lifeboats
                - The lifeboats were left on shore by the last captain of this ship
                - Nobody could have foreseen the iceberg
                - I'm an expert on icebergs, I've got lots of friends who deal with icebergs, some of the best, really good ice people who know ice
                - Summer will come and the iceberg will disappear, it will go away

Comment

• so after i took my new cat to the vets, was able to determine she is 3-4 years old. full blood work up, T4 test for hyperthyroidism, stuck her with three needles, cat's count that sort of thing. took urine, blood, and a rabbis shot. i demurred any other vaccines saying i don't want to overload her system or too many at once.

i knew what i was doing, had narrowed down her respiratory issue to two things, lung worm or hyperthyroidism. even young cats can get the latter. so i insisted on testing. $400 but i had to know because if it wasn't it had to be lung worm instead. better to be safe. and it's like anything, prevention is much cheaper. like this virus, we could've stopped it with cheaper oversight, but we allowed it to get loose and out of control and now it's bankrupting us.

a couple of things happened after her visit. they put profender on her and it's supposed to work on lung worms. i can never get a stool sample and there's not blood test for it so we guessed. i am not a fan of shit like that because it's basically a nerve agent. but she is breathing lot better now. probably shitting out worms somewhere. the other blood test for feline leukemia and HIV actually can test for heart worm too. which was negative.

what's really strange is she has a wild sister. and my cat was really freaked out going through this. she like the worm medicine on her back and starting drooling and ran off when we got home. for two days she hid with her sister in the abandoned house next door. i went there at night when it was safe to check on them. and they were cuddling. he big sister looking out for her. after two day's she was feeling better and showed up.

her sister now comes in my RV too. so now i have 2 cats. i don't really understand what happened. i can barely take care of myself and now i have 2 cats. you'd think her sister would be hesitant after the whole ordeal of taking my cat to the vet. but instead it made her come closer.

i think they kicked me out of my bed. i can't fit there with 2 animals and will have to sleep now in the loft.

cat politics are impossible to figure out.

Comment

• it took all this for me to realize how close these two cats are to each other. when something can't speak, it took 8 months of observation. cat's are sneaky. if cats lived for like 70 years like us they'd be ruling to universe. whenever i call them out on something they are like holy shit, you figured that out?

my cat is kind of depressed about the vet stuff. i went from a 10 on a scale of 1-10 on the trusting scale. down to a 1, and bounced back to a 6. with unexpected intervention from her feral sister. it was nice being a 10, but i had to get her medical intervention. i can get back to 10 again someday, but she grew up a little knowing there are places like veterinarians. and she's a little less happy. not that you can call a cat innocent, fuckers are serial killers, but she lost some innocence from being vetted.

there's an idea, i could run my own animal university. kids go to school why not pets.

you know if i was really crazy i'd be injecting pets with human brain cells. oh, the things we can do with technology and medicine.

Comment

• i am ok with all of us destroying our world, but not ok with saying we had no idea and playing dumb just so we can't get what we can while we can. if you are going to be destroyers of worlds, at least don't fool yourselves and not acknowledge it. man up, and accept responsibility.

it happened a lot sooner than i thought, but this is our judgement day. we've just pushed the boundaries or existence to limits with another virus. in modern day, this is our first test. and we weren't prepared for it. you'll be tested again.

we live in an illusion. the next 100 years there's no way we survive as a species. i could make a list every day of the dumbest things we've ever done. it would take too long to list. but the biggest threat isn't environmental, economical, nuclear, it's biological. we're going to wipe out our species accidentally. 20 years ago i wouldn't have put it first.

i'd really like to be alive 100-200 years from now just to see what happens. just out of curiosity.

Hanlon's razor is an aphorism "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity", known in several other forms. It is a philosophical razor which suggests a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for human behavior.

it's like the movie 12 monkeys, eventually, after we get by this accident, someone will do it on purpose. because they learned from this event. how much damage an accident can do.

in some ways i thing China has it right. you need an authoritarian government in charge to contain it. this virus has been a good example. which is why i am an authoritarian. most authoritarians in the past were imbeciles. Mussolini, Hitler.

people can't govern themselves. when you get to the end game, we are too stupid or disorganized. you don't deserve to be free.

Comment

• LOL at Hanlon's Razor. My first semester college English professor brought that up in class early, asking two questions - first, where is this concept referenced in great literature, and second, why is it flawed?

Well, there's only one piece of literature I knew that referenced the quote, and I knew what the author had said later about how it was only partly right, so I went for it.

Answer: "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity.", and the author's point of view is that it's only partly right since most politicians are both villains and stupid.

The prof and I became great friends - he got me a tutoring job two years later on campus when I badly needed the cash.

It pays to read Heinlein.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                          i take credit for my jaws in the time of the coronavirus quotes. which i thought was pretty good. but i found this on the internet today.

the Titanic in the time of the coronavirus.

- There isn't any iceberg
                          - It’s a fake iceberg
                          - There was an iceberg but, it's in a totally different ocean
                          - Many people are saying it's the biggest iceberg
                          - The iceberg is in this ocean, but it will melt very soon
                          - There is an iceberg, but we didn't hit the iceberg
                          - We hit the iceberg, but the damage will be repaired very shortly
                          - I knew from the beginning there was an iceberg, long before people called it an iceberg
                          - The iceberg is a Chinese iceberg
                          - We are taking on water, but every passenger who wants a lifeboat can get a lifeboat, and they are beautiful lifeboats
                          - Look, passengers need to ask nicely for the lifeboats if they want them
                          - We don't have any lifeboats, we're not lifeboat distributors
                          - Passengers should have planned for icebergs and brought their own lifeboats
                          - I really don't think we need that many lifeboats
                          - We have lifeboats and they're supposed to be our lifeboats, not the passengers' lifeboats
                          - The lifeboats were left on shore by the last captain of this ship
                          - Nobody could have foreseen the iceberg
                          - I'm an expert on icebergs, I've got lots of friends who deal with icebergs, some of the best, really good ice people who know ice
                          - Summer will come and the iceberg will disappear, it will go away
                          Nicely played.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                            i am ok with all of us destroying our world, but not ok with saying we had no idea and playing dumb just so we can't get what we can while we can. if you are going to be destroyers of worlds, at least don't fool yourselves and not acknowledge it. man up, and accept responsibility.

it happened a lot sooner than i thought, but this is our judgement day. we've just pushed the boundaries or existence to limits with another virus. in modern day, this is our first test. and we weren't prepared for it. you'll be tested again.

we live in an illusion. the next 100 years there's no way we survive as a species. i could make a list every day of the dumbest things we've ever done. it would take too long to list. but the biggest threat isn't environmental, economical, nuclear, it's biological. we're going to wipe out our species accidentally. 20 years ago i wouldn't have put it first.

i'd really like to be alive 100-200 years from now just to see what happens. just out of curiosity.

Hanlon's razor is an aphorism "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity", known in several other forms. It is a philosophical razor which suggests a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for human behavior.

it's like the movie 12 monkeys, eventually, after we get by this accident, someone will do it on purpose. because they learned from this event. how much damage an accident can do.

in some ways i thing China has it right. you need an authoritarian government in charge to contain it. this virus has been a good example. which is why i am an authoritarian. most authoritarians in the past were imbeciles. Mussolini, Hitler.

people can't govern themselves. when you get to the end game, we are too stupid or disorganized. you don't deserve to be free.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              Wisconsin opened Bars and Restaurants last night. Bars were packed...This is going to come at a cost.

Comment

• Sorrento Therapeutics is claiming they have a 100% anti-viral cure that could be available months before a vaccine. Looking deeper, they are a tiny company with some shady business in their past, so it seems to be hyperbole you would never see from legit medical people as a pump and dump on the stock. Still, if there is even a kernel of truth to the efficacy of the anti-body in controlled experiments, it is promising as part of an anti-viral cocktail that could flatten the mortality rate and get us back to normal living before a vaccine comes out.

https://www.investors.com/news/techn...s-it-has-cure/

Comment

Working...
                                X