No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As I expected, the figures for both cases and deaths were up again today. I misspoke yesterday - yesterdays's death total was not a record and neither is today's. Today's total from the COVID Tracking site was 2,733 but the record is from May 7 (2,769). The 7-day daily average is now 1,584, which is still lower than it was a week ago (1,652).

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      "The U.S. could see another 200,000 coronavirus deaths in the next three months if people don't take mitigation measures such as mask wearing and physical distancing seriously, according to the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

"The reality is December and January and February are going to be rough times. I actually believe they're going to be the most difficult time in the public health history of this nation," largely because of the stress to the health system, CDC Director Robert Redfield said Wednesday during a U.S. Chamber of Commerce event."
      https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...health-history
      That sounds realistic, if we dont take mitigation measures. I'm more optimistic tho. The vaccine will help. I would predict around 125,000 deaths in that time, which would put us just over 400,000 total.
      Last edited by rhd; 12-02-2020, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
        As I expected, the figures for both cases and deaths were up again today. I misspoke yesterday - yesterdays's death total was not a record and neither is today's. Today's total from the COVID Tracking site was 2,733 but the record is from May 7 (2,769). The 7-day daily average is now 1,584, which is still lower than it was a week ago (1,652).
        You were early in reporting. The total ended up a record, 2831. And the 7 day average is 1658 now. The weekly running average is increasing pretty steadily across the past 6 weeks. Call me a fear monger if you want to, but this is terrible, terrible news.

Comment

• Wednesday's death total was 3,157, shattering the record by 20%. Hospitalizations also exceeded 100k for the first time ever, with nearly 20k of those ICU patients, another record. And none of these numbers likely reflect the spike we will see from Thanksgiving gatherings. Things will obviously be getting worse before they get better, and they are already very bad right now.

Bigger picture, it is really amazing how quickly our species was able to develop a vaccine for this. The time period we had to deal with this without one was far shorter than most could have hoped for, and is a testament to our ingenuity when properly motivated. The tragedy is in how poorly we managed it until that time, especially in the US, and that tragedy is going to continue for several months. I fear it might extend even longer, because of fears and distrust about vaccines in our country. Scientifically, our species is a marvel. Socially and culturally, we still have a long way to go.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 12-03-2020, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Bigger picture, it is really amazing how quickly our species was able to develop a vaccine for this. The time period we had to deal with this without one was far shorter than most could have hoped for, and is a testament to our ingenuity when properly motivated. The tragedy is in how poorly we managed it until that time, especially in the US, and that tragedy is going to continue for several months. I fear it might extend even longer, because of fears and distrust about vaccines in our country. Scientifically, our species is a marvel. Socially and culturally, we still have a long way to go.
            I give the most credit to wood. being able to build houses and airplanes, tools and fences for agriculture and domesticated animals. make fires to warm, protect and our species used it to sit around and learn to talk. I give credit for the vaccine to wood. and RNA messaging.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
              I give the most credit to wood. being able to build houses and airplanes, tools and fences for agriculture and domesticated animals. make fires to warm, protect and our species used it to sit around and learn to talk. I give credit for the vaccine to wood. and RNA messaging.
              and the wheel....don't forget the wheel
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Hospitalization may have plateaued in the Midwest, but they continue to rise rapidly in the other regions of the country:

The COVID Tracking Project collects and publishes the most complete testing data available for US states and territories.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                  Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree...
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree...
                    wrong thread
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      Wednesday's death total was 3,157, shattering the record by 20%. Hospitalizations also exceeded 100k for the first time ever, with nearly 20k of those ICU patients, another record. And none of these numbers likely reflect the spike we will see from Thanksgiving gatherings. Things will obviously be getting worse before they get better, and they are already very bad right now.

It really is amazing to think that people will be vaccinated this month. Not sure, but i think Russia may have had vaccinations for a while now. To me it will be almost surreal when I go to get a vaccine. Don't know when that will be, but will be a day I don't forget after all tjat has happened this year
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        It really is amazing to think that people will be vaccinated this month. Not sure, but i think Russia may have had vaccinations for a while now. To me it will be almost surreal when I go to get a vaccine. Don't know when that will be, but will be a day I don't forget after all tjat has happened this year
                        Same here. I can hardly imagine the sense of relief that will bring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          Same here. I can hardly imagine the sense of relief that will bring.
                          Do you have any trepidation about getting the vaccine?
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            No. Or certainly not anywhere approaching the level of trepidation I have about getting COVID itself. Tens of thousands of people have gone through the trials and have been monitored for side effects. By the time I or any of my immediate family get it, it will have been in trials for multiple months. Even at this point after a couple months in Phase 3 trials, I am confident in recommending to my parents that they take the vaccine at the first opportunity they are given to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              I don't really have any trepidation. My only mild concern would be any possible long-term side effects that they really can't know about at this point, given the truncated timetable for getting the vaccine produced. Maybe there's an issue a year or two or three down the line with the vaccine that we don't know about and wasn't sufficiently studied (maybe we'll all be I Am Legend zombies soon), but I'll be at the head of the line once the vaccine is available to "normals" like me.

Comment

• If the death reports from today and tomorrow come in above 4150 total between the two days, we will cross the 14,000 mark for the week.

Last three times we had regular Fri/Sat reports, the totals were 3390 on Nov 20-21, 2629 on Nov 13-14, and 2285 on Nov 6-7.

That would include the typically suppressed totals from Sun/Mon this week but possibly also overflow from the previous Thu/Fri/Sat, so it would be hard to know whether we truly crossed the 2000/day mark this week until we see where the numbers go next week. Nonetheless, very sadly there's certainly nothing indicating a plateau in deaths at this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X