Page 83 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    Illuminating video on why the US has so many problems providing CV tests and getting results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58DlMGI1M70

So many reasons why this is a problem and so many organizations need to work efficiently and effectively for this to work well. But this video doesn't explain why a country like S. Korea is able to provide many times more tests per capita than the US. What are they doing that we're not? And it only adds to the frustration that Trump keeps saying that there are millions of test kits available when this is the farthest thing from the truth.
    Last edited by rhd; 03-26-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Before this is done we're going to be at the top of all the lists. You won't even believe it.
    Some people said it couldn't be done, but I did it. I did it. One of the generals said to me yesterday, "Sir, no one thought you could do this, but you did it."
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid nullnor's Avatar
    3.3 million jobless claims and another 2 trillion debt and the market goes up 3000 points in 2 days. it just doesn't seem morally right.

Quote Originally Posted by nullnor View Post
    3.3 million jobless claims and another 2 trillion debt and the market goes up 3000 points in 2 days. it just doesn't seem morally right.
    It'll be back down to 18K within a couple weeks.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

i suppose now is a good time for JAWS back round music with what's happening

"I'm pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have, in fact, caught and killed a large predator that supposedly injured some bathers. But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means "friendship"."

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    It'll be back down to 18K within a couple weeks.
    I'll take that bet.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    I'll take that bet.
    I wasn't offering to make a bet.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    I wasn't offering to make a bet.
    I know, but man I gotta make money wherever I can right now...…… :P
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

JAWS in the time of the coronavirus

Brody: This is a Great White, Larry, a big one. And any shark expert in the world'll tell ya it's a killer. It's a man-eater.
    Vaughn: Love to prove that, wouldn't ya? Get your name into the National Geographic.
    Mayor Vaughn: Martin, it's all psychological. You yell flu or car accident, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell coronavirus, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July.
    Quint: “There's too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me, by myself. For that, you get the head, the tail, the whole damned thing.”
    Quint: Bad fish. It's not like going down to pond chasin' blue gills or tommy cots. This shark - swallow ya hole. L'il shakin',l'il tenderizin', down ya go. Now we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back the tourists.
    Hooper: Ah, you know those eight guys in the fan-tail launch out there?
    Martin: Yeah?
    Hooper: Well none of them are going to get out of the harbour alive.
    Mayor Vaughn: “Now look fellas, lets be reasonable, huh? This is not the time or the place to perform some sort of half ass autopsy on a fish.
    Meadows: Listen Jenny, I wanna go AP and UPI. I wanna get on the state wire see if Boston will pick it up and go national.
    Martin: That's not until the fourth of July! Between now and then it's you and me!
    Mayor Vaughn : I don't think either of one you are familiar with our problems.
    Mayor Vaughn : I'm only trying to say that Amity is a summer town. We need summer dollars. Now, if the people can't swim here, they'll be glad to swim at the beaches of Cape Cod, the Hamptons, Long Island...
    Hooper: You've got a bigger problem than that Martin, you still got a hell of a fish out there, with a mouth about this big.
    Martin: Who pays for all this stuff? The government? The institute? This stuff costs a lot of money.
    Martin: We're gonna have to put extra deputies on because there ain't nothing in the world that's gonna come in here! We've gotta spend money to save what we've got!
    Hooper: There are two ways to deal with this problem. You either gonna kill this animal or your gonna cut off its food supply.
    Martin: Larry we have to close the beaches.
    Vaughn: Brody? Sick vandalism. That is a deliberate attempt by the fake news to ruin my election. Now I want those little paint-happy bastards caught and hung up by their Buster Browns!
    Hooper: That's it! Good-bye! I'm not going to waste my time arguing with a man who is lining up to be a hot lunch
    Hooper: Mr. Vaughn, what we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, ah, an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks.
    Martin: Larry, Larry, if we make an effort today, we might be able to save August.
    Vaughn: August? Heh, for Christ's sake tomorrow is the fourth of July! And we will be open for business. It's gonna be one of the best summer we ever had! Now if you fellas are concerned about the beaches, you do whatever you have to, to make them safe. But those beaches will be open for this weekend!
    Hooper: “I think I am familiar with the fact that you are going to ignore this problem until it swims up and bites you in the ass.”
    Quint: Well it proves one thing Mr. Hooper. I proves that you wealthy college boys don't have the education enough to admit when you're wrong.
    Hooper: Well then, can you tell me if there's a good restaurant or hotel on the island?
    Fisherman: Yeah ya walk straight ahead! Ha ha!
    Hooper: Ha ha we're all gonna die.
    Harry: It's cold! Huh huh, we know all about you chief. You don't go in the water at all do ya?
    Martin: That's some bad hat, Harry!
    Martin: I used to hate the water.
    Hooper: I can't imagine why.

One of my most memorable baseball stadium experiences was going to Fenway and singing the original version of this song with everyone there. So, I thought all you baseball geeks would appreciate Neil Diamond's COVID update of the song. May we all live to be as awesome as Neil is at 79 (who am I kidding, none of us will ever be that awesome).