Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    For a long while, I believe, in most places in the US, they only counted deaths of verified cases of COVID-19. ...the majority of our numbers have in fact been based on verified testing, which may actually under count the deaths.
    I've heard the opposite, that actually medical facilities are incentivized to be liberal in counting both cases and deaths as CV-19 cases because they get more insurance money that way. I heard that if the symptoms are consistent w those of CV-19, the case is coded as a CV-19 whether they have a positive test result or not. So, if anything, we may be significantly overcounting the deaths, as well as the cases.
    Last edited by rhd; 05-07-2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
      I've heard the opposite, that actually medical facilities are incentivized to be liberal in counting both cases and deaths as CV-19 cases because they get more insurance money that way. I heard that if the symptoms are consistent w those of CV-19, the case is coded as a CV-19 whether they have a positive test result or not. So, if anything, we may be significantly overcounting the deaths, as well as the cases.
      One's stance on this seems to be partisan, sadly. Liberal sources lament we are not testing the dead and fear numbers are under-reported. Conservatives, and most recently Trump, are claiming the opposite. Most medical courses I've found indicate their belief that both cases and deaths are being under-reported due to the lack of testing. The only sources I've found stating the opposite are non-medical sources, but I'm always open to more data, so if you come across any credible sources that suggest we are overcounting both cases and deaths, pleases post them. That means this is less bad then we think.

Comment

One's stance on this seems to be partisan, sadly. Liberal sources lament we are not testing the dead and fear numbers are under-reported. Conservatives, and most recently Trump, are claiming the opposite.
        This shouldn't be a conservative versus liberal argument. There is actual data that shows that COVID deaths are significantly undercounting excess deaths in a lot of locations. Unfortunately because of the time it takes for death certificates to be filed and the numbers to be compiled, those analyses are lagging several weeks behind the COVID accounting. But I don't see any evidence to support the idea that COVID deaths are being overcounted on a large scale. All the evidence seems to point the opposite direction.

A few links:
        New analysis of six-week period shows 13,500 more deaths than are now attributed to covid-19 as updated federal data reveals added details on the broad toll

Since coronavirus struck, more people have died than usual in every state of the country, with 23 states seeing deaths above normal peaking in the last two months, according to a New York Times analysis.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          This shouldn't be a conservative versus liberal argument. There is actual data that shows that COVID deaths are significantly undercounting excess deaths in a lot of locations. Unfortunately because of the time it takes for death certificates to be filed and the numbers to be compiled, those analyses are lagging several weeks behind the COVID accounting. But I don't see any evidence to support the idea that COVID deaths are being overcounted on a large scale. All the evidence seems to point the opposite direction.

A few links:
          New analysis of six-week period shows 13,500 more deaths than are now attributed to covid-19 as updated federal data reveals added details on the broad toll

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...h-toll-us.html
          Yes, that is what I have seen too. I have yet to find a credible non-partisan source that claims we are over-counting deaths and cases. As for what conservatives would claim this, the motivation seems obvious--they want to open things back up more quickly. I don't know why the opposite would be true. I don't know why liberals and the media would want us to stay locked down. And I don't know why medical sources would be motivated to mislead us as well.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-07-2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Yes, that is what I have seen too. I have yet to find a credible non-partisan source that claims we are over-counting deaths and cases. As for what conservatives would claim this, the motivation seems obvious--they want to open things back up more quickly. I don't know why the opposite would be true. I don't know why liberals and the media would want us to stay locked down. And I don't know why medical sources would be motivated to mislead us as well.
            Because it hurts Trump, duh!
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

A few links:

Any non-fake-news sources?
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

A few links:

My Mother In Law passed in the hospital on March 22nd (non covid related). It took us a month to get the death certificate. There were many reasons why it took so long, but the main reason was quarantine and all the complications that went with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  any non-fake-news sources?
                  oan? Qanon?

Comment

Any non-fake-news sources?
                    My friend ran into a writer for infowars the other day.

Well, actually, not just a writer but Alex Jones' adopted sister.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

One of my friends went to HS with Alex Jones.

My wife went to HS with that Breitbart writer who got publicly pummeled for issuing that phony fact check a couple weeks ago.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

hopefully your friend's car is okay. Insurance cover the damage?
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

hopefully your friend's car is okay. Insurance cover the damage?
                          Who needs insurance, my friend will just claim that it was all fake, crisis actor cars.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            One of my friends went to HS with Alex Jones.

My wife went to HS with that Breitbart writer who got publicly pummeled for issuing that phony fact check a couple weeks ago.
                            I used to watch Alex Jones on late night cable access TV in Austin when I couldn't sleep (and obviously there was nothing else on). I never would have thought then that he would become a national media personality. I still find it hard to comprehend.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I used to watch Alex Jones on late night cable access TV in Austin when I couldn't sleep (and obviously there was nothing else on). I never would have thought then that he would become a national media personality. I still find it hard to comprehend.
                              It's a reflection on how broken our country is.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                It's a reflection on how broken our country is.
                                It's also a reflection of our governments creating so much distrust in them through their shady and manipulative actions in many areas of our lives
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X