Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    That's insane. The employees should all call in sick.
    When you are producers for NBC that's kind of hard to do.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Some of my feelings in this crisis:

- Altho Trump has mishandled this crisis, I think it's a mistake to put all the blame on him and to act as if he is the only world leader to have botched things. Practically every world leader has similarly botched it, w a handful of exceptions. The main thing in all of this is that countries all over the world have put money over the health and lives of their citizens. Everyone has downplayed the seriousness of this pandemic from the beginning because they were concerned about their economies getting hurt. As it turned out, their economies will be hurt much worse than if they had addressed the problems as they should have in the first place.
      - It's also a big mistake to look to China as the place to find answers on appropriate ways to deal w this crisis. First, altho I do think they've done a lot to get their situation more under control, their reported figures are largely propaganda. Second, their government's suppression of info re: this outbreak and coverup and brutal hostility towards their own citizens who tried to inform about it is the reason why the rest of the world is now dealing w this pandemic in the first place, a pandemic that will infect millions and probably kill at least 100,000 (if the deaths are no more than that, that sounds pretty good under the circumstances). Now, they're trying act like they're a worldwide hero. That's like throwing someone off the deck of a ship into the ocean, then jumping in to save them and claiming to be a national hero. Third, many of the methods they've used to control this remind me of Nazi Germany. The makeshift "hospitals" they constructed in days aren't hospitals, they're mostly warehouses the infected were condemned to to die. The people there received little to no medical treatment, some of them didn't have restroom facilities. "Patients" were not separated and those w mild symptoms got worse infections. Not to mention not having ventilators or respirators for those that needed them. Yes, they isolated these people so that the healthy population was freer from infection but at the cost of basic human rights and lives. And they did worse things. In at least one case, a family was barricaded inside their apartment so they couldn't get out. I heard that some neighbors from above them tried to help by lowering food down to them from the apartment above but I don't know what ultimately happened to them. At least in some cases, people caught on the street w/o masks were savagely beaten by police and dragged off to prison. There were reports of some sick people who were put in body bags while still alive and taken to crematoriums to be burned. People who spoke out against the abuses were tracked down and arrested to await who knows what fate. There are several publicized examples of brave Chinese citizen reporters who got arrested and have never been heard from since. I can provide some links to videos about these incidents and will try to provide some of them. No, China is not who we should be looking at. Much better to look at South Korea (here's a link to a video where their foreign minister describes what they did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IQkhaBifGQ),Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong.
      - If you think Trump is bad, look at this video where Britain's leaders apparently have given up trying to stop their citizens from being infected but merely want to slow down the rate of infection and are apparently willing to sacrifice maybe 1.6 million of their people to this disease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAbWXg67c8w.
      - Liz Specht's "prophecy" that I posted about a while ago apparently not only will come true but in a significantly shorter time than she predicted. She assumed that the US cases would double about every 6 days and based on that the US would see 1 million CV cases by the end of April. Actually, my update posts re: the # of cases indicate that the rate of doubling has been less than 3 days for the past couple weeks. At even a rate of doubling every 3 days, we will reach 1 mil cases by April 10th!! As bad as it is now, it's going to get MUCH worse. And we're already starting to get overwhelmed. Some cause for hope is that the rate of increase in places like Italy seems to be slowing down.
      Last edited by rhd; 03-22-2020, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        That's insane. The employees should all call in sick.
        Sure, but do they have paid sick time ? Our system is so messed up, it's like someone devised a system to spread disease.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
          Some of my feelings in this crisis:

- Altho Trump has mishandled this crisis, I think it's a mistake to put all the blame on him and to act as if he is the only world leader to have botched things. Practically every world leader has similarly botched it, w a handful of exceptions. The main thing is all of this is that countries all over the world have put money over the health and lives of their citizens. Everyone has downplayed the seriousness of this pandemic from the beginning because they were concerned about their economies getting hurt. As it turned out, their economies will be hurt much worse than if they had addressed the problems as they should have in the first place.
          - It's also a big mistake to look to China as the place to find answers on appropriate ways to deal w this crisis. First, altho I do think they've done a lot to get their situation more under control, their reported figures are largely propaganda. Second, their government's suppression of info re: this outbreak an coverup and brutal hostility towards their own citizens who tried inform about it is the reason why the rest of the world is now dealing w this pandemic in the first place, a pandemic that will infect millions and probably kill at least 100,000 (if the deaths are no more than that, that sounds pretty good under the circumstances). Now, they're trying act like they're a worldwide hero. That's like throwing someone off the deck of a ship into the ocean, then jumping in to save them and claiming to be a national hero. Third, many of the methods they've used to control this remind me of Nazi Germany. The makeshift "hospitals" they constructed in days aren't hospitals, they're mostly warehouses the infected were condemned to to die. The people there received little to no medical treatment, some of them didn't have restroom facilities. "Patients" were not separated and those w mild symptoms got worse infections. Not to mention not having ventilators or respirators for those that needed them. Yes, they isolated these people so that the healthy population was freer from infection but at the cost of basic human rights and lives. And they did worse things. In at least one case, a family was barricaded inside their apartment so they couldn't get out. I heard that some neighbors from above them tried to help by lowering food down to them from the apartment above but I don't know what ultimately happened to them. At least in some cases, people caught on the street were savagely beaten by police and dragged off to prison. There were reports of some sick people who were put in body bags while still alive and taken to crematoriums to be burned. People who spoke out against the abuses were tracked down and arrested to await who knows what fate. There are several publicized examples of brave Chinese citizen reporters who got arrested and have never been heard from since. I can provide some links to videos about these incidents and will try to provide some of them. No, China is not who we should be looking at. Much better to look at South Korea (here's a link to a video where their health minister describes what they did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IQkhaBifGQ),Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong.
          - If you think Trump is bad, look at this video where Britain's leaders apparently have given try to stop their citizens from being infected but merely want to slow down the rate of infection and are apparently willing to sacrifice maybe 1.6 million of their people to this disease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAbWXg67c8w.
          - Liz Specht's "prophecy" that I posted about a while ago apparently not only will come true but in a significantly shorter time than she predicted. She assumed that the US cases would double about every 6 days and based on that the US would see 1 million CV cases by the end of April. Actually, my update posts re: the # of cases indicate that the rate of doubling has been less than 3 days for the past couple weeks. At even a rate of doubling every 3 days, we will reach 1 mil cases by April 10th!! As bad as it is now, it's going to get MUCH worse. And we're already starting to get overwhelmed. Some cause for hope is that the rate of increase in places like Italy seems to be slowing down.
          Very well said. I wish I had your restraint and eloquence.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Some of my feelings in this crisis:

- Altho Trump has mishandled this crisis, I think it's a mistake to put all the blame on him and to act as if he is the only world leader to have botched things. Practically every world leader has similarly botched it, w a handful of exceptions. The main thing is all of this is that countries all over the world have put money over the health and lives of their citizens. Everyone has downplayed the seriousness of this pandemic from the beginning because they were concerned about their economies getting hurt. As it turned out, their economies will be hurt much worse than if they had addressed the problems as they should have in the first place.
            I guess. But I just find it so troubling that I could click on a few links on the internet a month ago and figure out that we were in trouble and our government couldn't reach the same conclusion. Their job is to look out for us and they failed in a huge, huge way. And it may not have been much different with Obama or Hillary or someone else, but I don't really care. Trump is president and he is responsible. And he failed us all.
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              I guess. But I just find it so troubling that I could click on a few links on the internet a month ago and figure out that we were in trouble and our government couldn't reach the same conclusion. Their job is to look out for us and they failed in a huge, huge way. And it may not have been much different with Obama or Hillary or someone else, but I don't really care. Trump is president and he is responsible. And he failed us all.
              Some governments failed and some actually did a good job. Shouldn't we expect our government to be one of the ones that succeeds? We are the richest, most technologically advanced country in the history of the world (as our leaders love to tell us). Shouldn't we demand something from our government ? Instead, we will get bullshit left vs. right blaming and non stop propaganda and spin.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Some governments failed and some actually did a good job. Shouldn't we expect our government to be one of the ones that succeeds? We are the richest, most technologically advanced country in the history of the world (as our leaders love to tell us). Shouldn't we demand something from our government ? Instead, we will get bullshit left vs. right blaming and non stop propaganda and spin.
                We should but we're also the most selfish and greedy. and Led by a total idiot who cares nothing about anything unless it can make him look good or make him richer.

Period.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

A big reason I said it was a mistake to put all the blame on Trump is that doing so really partisanizes (is that a word?) the issue. Trump administration gambled that it wouldnt become a major health crisis and lost. He may have many major shortcomings but would a Democratic admin have acted differently? Sadly, I think it probably would have been a similar situation. In fact, look at how Obama handled the H1N1 crisis and the similarities are striking (and I was an Obama supporter). Fortunately, that crisis wasn't quite as serious as this one is turning out to be. NO, our leaders are gambling w our health and our lives and instead of arguing over whether Republicans or Democrats are worse, we should be doing much more to hold our leaders accountable no matter who they are.

Comment

A big reason I said it was a mistake to put all the blame on Trump is that doing so really partisanizes (is that a word?) the issue. Trump administration gambled that it wouldnt become a major health crisis and lost. He may have many major shortcomings but would a Democratic admin have acted differently? Sadly, I think it probably would have been a similar situation. In fact, look at how Obama handled the H1N1 crisis and the similarities are striking (and I was an Obama supporter). Fortunately, that crisis wasn't quite as serious as this one is turning out to be. NO, our leaders are gambling w our health and our lives and instead of arguing over whether Republicans or Democrats are worse, we should be doing much more to hold our leaders accountable no matter who they are.
                    Agree completely. I am so pissed that Obama spent billions fighting a worthless war in Afghanistan and left us unprepared for this. I fucking hate him for that. Every Dem wants to worship him, but he was our leader for 8 years and just like Trump, he failed us. I hate Trump, and he failed us too, but every Dem flag waver needs to own what Obama did. Obama failed us all, tell me I'm wrong.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Agree completely. I am so pissed that Obama spent billions fighting a worthless war in Afghanistan and left us unprepared for this. I fucking hate him for that. Every Dem wants to worship him, but he was our leader for 8 years and just like Trump, he failed us. I hate Trump, and he failed us too, but every Dem flag waver needs to own what Obama did. Obama failed us all, tell me I'm wrong.
                      Not I said the Non B-Fly

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        Not I said the Non B-Fly
                        probably the only response i will get lol.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

probably the only response i will get lol.
                          I liked him in many ways, thought he was too soft in pushing agenda. Not a fan of trying to compromise with the immovable--fuck em --kick em in the nuts and get it done. In that respect Obama was a pussy.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            I liked him in many ways, thought he was too soft in pushing agenda. Not a fan of trying to compromise with the immovable--fuck em --kick em in the nuts and get it done. In that respect Obama was a pussy.
                            Eveyone fucking liked him. They still like him. And they will be mad at me for criticising him now. But what did he do to prepare us for what is happening now ?
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Eveyone fucking liked him. They still like him. And they will be mad at me for criticising him now. But what did he do to prepare us for what is happening now ?
                              Unless you advocate for an entirely different kind of Govt. You weren't prepared for what's happening now.

When Mom's Dad's Infants and friends who were sick and you didn't know it start dying because the economy is more important than sacrifice of personal financial security and comfort, shit's gonna hit the fan and then it'll get real.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• This is pretty bad, but part of me wants to see it all go to shit--everyone loses everything. Everyone. Then we'd all be in the shit soup together.

Maybe then we'd start looking for solutions that benefitted everyone.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X