No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 6/29 at 7:46 AM, exactly 7 days ago:

- 2,983,155 cases in US, up from 2,637,180, an increase of 13.12% which is a larger increase than last time (11.90%). The new cases for this period were 345,975. A comparison w last period's new cases (280,465) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.234, which is much smaller than that of the last update (1.443). The 2nd wave surge continues.
    - 132,571 deaths in US, up from 128,438, an increase of 3.22% which is a much smaller increase than last time (5.06%). The US mortality rate is now 4.44%, much lower than last time (4.87%).
    - 11,533,374 cases worldwide, up from 10,220,387, an increase of 12.85% which is a smaller increase than last time (13.31%). The new cases for this period were 1,312,987. A comparison w last period's new cases (1,200,432) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.094, which is lower than last time (1.140). This rate remains well above 1.00.
    - 537,265 deaths worldwide, up from 504,872, an increase of 6.42% which is smaller than last time (7.18%). The world mortality rate is 4.66%, which is much lower than last time (4.94%).

Rates of increase were smaller than last time for the world. The US case rate of increase, already high, continues to go higher but the death rate increase dropped sharply. New case rates were much lower for both the world and the US but both remain well above 1.00. Cases continue to surge in Russia, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Mexico, the Middle East, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and South Africa and cases have surged recently also in Argentina and Colombia.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      I read yesterday that Canada has had 106K cases in total while the US reported 100K just in the last 2 days now Canada has about a 10% of the population the US does and the US has almost 3 million Cases so if my math is correct--we have had 3 times the cases, strange thing is--Canada has had more deaths per reported case than the US If my math is again correct 8.1% of Canadian cases ended up fatal whereas the US's mortality rate to date is about 4.5%

Any speculation to as why?

I know they density of population is significantly greater in the US and the median age lower, so those might be 2 things--any other ideas of why?
      re: the higher deaths - we had some significant issues with outbreaks in LTCs (long term care facilities), esp in the early days. Obviously those lead to a much higher death count - at one home not too far from me 30 of the 82 residents died. It's triggered an interesting discussion up here re: profit vs not-for-profit LTCs.

Overall tho, we've collectively done pretty good at getting a handle on things; the past week's numbers are consistently around 150 new cases in Ontario, with deaths in the single digits. It's a silly comparison but in terms of population we're around 13M compared to 18M for Florida ... I think they're doing a bit worse ...
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Incredible

This is really well done.

Comment

• Well, I guess it's bad wishing ill on anyone, but Bolsonaro testing positive is some kinda justice.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• South Korea and Brazil both kicked out female presidents, and the ppl cheered in exuberance in the streets, like it was going to fix things and make their lives better. only to elect men that were worse than they could've imagined. South Korean dude got along great with Kim because he's a dictator too and had visions of reunifying Korea under himself. and the guy in Brazil is about as bad as Trump. but I guess that's why we have elections, so we can elect people on white grievance or black grievance or some other kind of one. and everyone will cheer, and civics digresses with thundering applause.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
              South Korea and Brazil both kicked out female presidents, and the ppl cheered in exuberance in the streets, like it was going to fix things and make their lives better. only to elect men that were worse than they could've imagined. South Korean dude got along great with Kim because he's a dictator too and had visions of reunifying Korea under himself. and the guy in Brazil is about as bad as Trump. but I guess that's why we have elections, so we can elect people on white grievance or black grievance or some other kind of one. and everyone will cheer, and civics digresses with thundering applause.
              Yeah, people suck. There are some good persons, though.

Comment

• The Ivy League just cancelled their 2020 college football season.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  The Ivy League just cancelled their 2020 college football season.
                  Pac 12 is leaning that way too. as it the Mountain West.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    The Ivy League just cancelled their 2020 college football season.
                    Probably the first of many-

here is what the schedule is for a major program _ I guess we will know in a few days if it happens

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...ctice-schedule

Comment

• So kids are expected to return to school while convicted criminals are being released early due to the risks? How fucking dumb do they think we are?
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

So kids are expected to return to school while convicted criminals are being released early due to the risks? How fucking dumb do they think we are?
                        I think they have already seen how dumb we are unfortunately
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So kids are expected to return to school while convicted criminals are being released early due to the risks? How fucking dumb do they think we are?
                          I have two young kids and I want them in school in some capacity next year. It needs to be figured out. Trying to teach a 5 year old at home was challenging and he is further behind now than he would have been if he were in school. He is also missing out on essential socialization. I think it is important to divert as many resources as we can muster to try to get as many kids, especially young ones, in classrooms at least some days.

This can be done like they are doing it in my college--by giving options for teachers and students to stay at home and engage in distance learning, if their parents prefer all online teaching, and by setting up rotating schedules, so only half or less of kids are in schools at a time. In this way, you can get 10 or less kids in a classroom with a capacity of 30, and minimize risks.

And it can be based on the area and where that area is on the curve of cases. Right now, my county of 200k are getting less than 10 new cases a day, so I think that if classes were going on right now, it would be an acceptable risk, if all safety measures were taken, to get these kids in a class for awhile.

I am in favor of flexible planning that at least attempts for this to happen, however sporadically, next year. We can't have an entire generations miss 1.5+ years of in-person schooling. Again, especially the really young ones.

And that 1.5 years assumes that we get to a vaccine in that time, and that is still no guarantee. Add to that the fact that the same people partying and not wearing masks probably won't take vaccine, and it could be several years before we get to herd immunity and stomp this thing out entirely. I am not qualified to be the elementary school teacher to my two kids for the next several years, so we are going to need to figure out school in the pandemic era, recognizing that there will be at least some risk involved. We may have to get students together whenever we can for as long as we can, in spurts between waves in specific locations, but whatever we can do will be better than all online learning, again, especially for younger kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            I have two young kids and I want them in school in some capacity next year. It needs to be figured out. Trying to teach a 5 year old at home was challenging and he is further behind now than he would have been if he were in school. He is also missing out on essential socialization. I think it is important to divert as many resources as we can muster to try to get as many kids, especially young ones, in classrooms at least some days. This can be done like they are doing it in my college--by giving options for some kids to stay at home, if their parents prefer all online teaching, and by setting up rotating schedules, so only half or less of kids are in schools at a time. And it can be based on the area and where that area is on the curve of cases. Right now, my county of 200k are getting less than 10 new cases a day, so I think that if classes were going on right now, it would be an acceptable risk, if all safety measures were taken, to get these kids in a class for awhile. I am in favor of flexible planning that at least attempts for this to happen, however sporadically, next year. We can't have an entire generations miss 1.5+ years of in-person schooling. Again, especially the really young ones.
                            Spending more money on Education?? Communist!!

I don't think this is about the kids per say, but rather the safety of the Staff and the circle of contact connected to each child.

I'm sure it sucks to have to home school, but the safe alternative has to be online classes.

Opening schools is pretty much saying fuck it, if you get it you get it--which is exactly the mantra the White House is pushing now that they've fucked up any reasonable response.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              I think they have already seen how dumb we are unfortunately
                              Those guys aren't posting anymore.......

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                Spending more money on Education?? Communist!!

I don't think this is about the kids per say, but rather the safety of the Staff and the circle of contact connected to each child.

I'm sure it sucks to have to home school, but the safe alternative has to be online classes.

Opening schools is pretty much saying fuck it, if you get it you get it--which is exactly the mantra the White House is pushing now that they've fucked up any reasonable response.
                                I disagree. I think schools can be opened, at least partially in some places, with relatively small risk. I think schools should certainly be a priority over bars, clubs, restaurants, shopping malls, department stores, etc. I work at a college. We have a plan and I think the plan is as safe as any plan can be. Most won't be around on campus, but some will, sometimes, including me. With young kids, it is harder, to be sure. But daycares are open. My two year old goes to his sometimes, even while my 5 year old was being home schooled. There have never been more than 150 active cases (reported cases, anyway) in our county at one time. There has never been a reported case at the JCC where my 2 year old goes when we have no choice but to send him. Reasonable precautions are taken, with mask wearing, frequent temp checks, and smaller numbers of kids in each class. It isn't perfect, but it is necessary for my family, with two working parents and no other family in the area.

The same thing will happen with others that is happening with us. These young kids will have to go somewhere, sometimes, if any of their parents are expected to also go somewhere sometimes to work. If they are going to be in groups with others somewhere, why not in schools?

And work aside, again, putting an entire generation of students 2 or more years behind is a very bad outcome (and what if it is several years, as it possible, before we beat this; especially with anti-vaxxers making up a significant portion of our population, it is possible it will take a long, long time, even if/when we get a vaccine?). We need to figure it out. Never seeing another kid or interacting with a teacher, as was the case for my 5 year old the final three months of "school" here just doesn't work. He is 100% behind now, despite the best efforts of two parents that are both educators.

Comment

Working...
                                X