No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italy's coronavirus death toll surpassed 10,000 on Saturday. The average age of Italian patients who have died after testing positive for the virus was 78, the country's Health Institute said Friday. Most of them had pre-existing conditions. Then there is the 102-year-old Italian woman who recovered from coronavirus after spending more than 20 days in hospital.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Italy's coronavirus death toll surpassed 10,000 on Saturday. The average age of Italian patients who have died after testing positive for the virus was 78, the country's Health Institute said Friday. Most of them had pre-existing conditions. Then there is the 102-year-old Italian woman who recovered from coronavirus after spending more than 20 days in hospital.
      The number of American deaths have doubled in just the last 2 days. We’re now over 2,000.

Comment

• Another update. Last stats were from 3/26 at 1:06 PM, about 2 1/3 days ago:

- 123,871 cases in US, up from 74,319, a 67% increase. That's a larger increase than last time (56%) but in a greater amount of time so about the same rate of increase. New York state accounts for about 43% of the cases but that's down from around 50% last time so it's actually spreading faster in other areas of the country now.
        - 2211 deaths in US, up from 1074, a 106% increase which is a larger increase than last time (81%) in a longer time period but this still is a slightly higher rate of increase. Only 2 states have not yet reported a death: Hawaii and Wyoming.
        - 661,986 cases worldwide, up from 501,220, a 32% increase which is a larger increase than last time (25%) but in a larger amount of time so about the same rate of increase. 580,768 of these are outside of mainland China, up from 419,922, a 38% increase, which is a larger increase than last time (32%) but in a longer amount of time and this is really about the same rate of increase.
        - 30,873 deaths worldwide, up from 22,334, a 38% increase which is a larger increase than last time (28%) but in a longer amount of time but this still represents a larger rate of increase. 28.578 deaths are outside of China, up from 19,047, a 50% increase which is a larger increase than last time (35%) but in a longer amount of time but this still represents a greater rate of increase. Italy's mortality rate, which already is the highest, continues to increase, at 10.8% now.
        - 202 countries/territories/etc. have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 1 other (North Korea), up from 201. There are only about 20 countries that have not reported deaths and these include Lesotho, Botswana, South Sudan, Malawi, Burundi, Sierra Leone, Yemen, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Comoros and some Pacific island republics, like Kiribati.

The rates of increase are not slowing down yet. The US's rates of increase continue to outpace those of the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
          I think I've seen at most 1 or 2 when I make a walmart run. So maybe 1 -2%?
          I have not personally gone out to a store for a week. But regarding masks I thought the directive was not to buy up masks since the healthcare workers needed them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I have not personally gone out to a store for a week. But regarding masks I thought the directive was not to buy up masks since the healthcare workers needed them?
            That is probably an issue, but once the supply issue is over the question will need to be addressed.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              That is probably an issue, but once the supply issue is over the question will need to be addressed.
              So, like mid-may?
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                So, like mid-may?
                2021 ? Masks vs. MLB which comes first
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  I just got a call from my youngest sister (59). She woke up with a cough this morning. She called her doctor who put her in touch with CDC. She is on her way to the ER for testing.

She works for Mercury Marine in Fond du lac Wisconsin about 3 hours from me. Someone on a production line 2 lines over passed away from it two weeks ago. She has been laid off for a week.

She is not experiencing any other symptoms at this time.

I am scared and praying hard for her. First that she tests negative. And if positive that she recovers quickly and without issue.
                  She was tested but the test results will not be back for a week.

They did say they think she has bronchitis rather than cor. 19. She will be going home for quarantine. I am grateful for this potential piece of good news.

Thank you Jesus.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    I went to the liquor store and was happy to see about 30% were wearing masks. Then I went to pet store and saw no one else. Looks like us drinkers are smarter
                    The last time I was out was last Tuesday. I had to go to the funeral home and then stop at the grocery to pick up some things. I wore a mask and rubber gloves. I do not know what kind. They came from hospice so they should be pretty good.

We did have a young man stop to pick up the hospice bed, oxygen etc on Tuesday as well. He was wearing a mask, gloves, and foot covering.

Comment

• Tom Precious
                      @TomPreciousALB
                      ·
                      3m
                      NYS Health Commissioner Zucker says death rate among New Yorkers who test positive for coronavirus is hovering about 1% or below. Cuomo says nursing homes are about 1/4 of coronavirus deaths.

@NickReisman
                      Hospitalizations have increased. But the doubling rate is slowing down to once every six days. Was doubling at every four days [and two days].
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        Tom Precious
                        @TomPreciousALB
                        ·
                        3m
                        NYS Health Commissioner Zucker says death rate among New Yorkers who test positive for coronavirus is hovering about 1% or below. Cuomo says nursing homes are about 1/4 of coronavirus deaths.

Weird are they not reporting some cases? Because the reported numbers show > 1% and growing

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Weird are they not reporting some cases? Because the reported numbers show > 1% and growing
                          I'm seeing weird fluctuations in the numbers for NY on the Bing tracker. It inexplicably had a dip in cases and deaths from 956 deaths on 3-25 to 519 on 3-27, and 59,000 cases down to 44,000. None of that is possible, so I don't know what is going on. I know this is imprecise, but there is no explanation for the variance, not just between sources but within the same source, like the one linked to below:

https://bing.com/covid/local/newyork...es?form=msntrk

Comment

• At the local level, my local sources say we've had 3 deaths in my area, but the national tracking sources have it as 1 or 2. I've read stuff about how national sources place people differently. For instance, they counted one death from someone who had a legal residence in my city, but hadn't been here in months. Likewise, we had two people die locally, but had legal residences elsewhere. So there is some imprecision in all of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              At the local level, my local sources say we've had 3 deaths in my area, but the national tracking sources have it as 1 or 2. I've read stuff about how national sources place people differently. For instance, they counted one death from someone who had a legal residence in my city, but hadn't been here in months. Likewise, we had two people die locally, but had legal residences elsewhere. So there is some imprecision in all of this.
                              also some lag in reporting and sometimes people like my friend were in limbo at the hospital

He and his wife both tested positive under doctors care and got pretty sick - they are both vegetarian kids book illustrators early 60s in pretty good health
                              she got better - he still didnt and eventually went to the hospital - he wasnt admitted for at least 36 hours but was in a treatment isolation room outside the er and received little or no face to face treatment - mostly video.
                              He eventually was admitted and is still pretty bad but looks like he is definitely healing - they both were added to the list of tested positive people in town 2 days ago but both tested positive over a week and a half ago
                              so things are inconsistent - also some seem to be reporting by town of hospital rather than place of address too,

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                                also some lag in reporting and sometimes people like my friend were in limbo at the hospital

He and his wife both tested positive under doctors care and got pretty sick - they are both vegetarian kids book illustrators early 60s in pretty good health
                                she got better - he still didnt and eventually went to the hospital - he wasnt admitted for at least 36 hours but was in a treatment isolation room outside the er and received little or no face to face treatment - mostly video.
                                He eventually was admitted and is still pretty bad but looks like he is definitely healing - they both were added to the list of tested positive people in town 2 days ago but both tested positive over a week and a half ago
                                so things are inconsistent - also some seem to be reporting by town of hospital rather than place of address too,
                                Yeah, that part I get, and I'm glad to hear he is healing. It is the big dip in NY cases and deaths that makes no sense to me.
                                Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-29-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X