No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will it be before the Idiot in Chief decides that he doesn't like Dr. Fauci being truthful and stating the facts to the media and fires him?
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
      Some new info:

Possible arrival in December and lost amongst the other seasonal flu.
      thanks for this info.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        How long will it be before the Idiot in Chief decides that he doesn't like Dr. Fauci being truthful and stating the facts to the media and fires him?
        Gone within the week
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Gone within the week
            there's gotta be a vegas line on this? what's the official over/under? I'll guess April 18.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 4/10 at 7:46 AM, exactly 3 days ago:

- 562,195 cases in US, up from 469,993, a 19.6% increase. That's a much smaller increase than last time (27.6%) but that could be partly because of weekend underreporting. The states w the highest # of cases per capita, in order, are New York, New Jersey, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Connecticut, DC, Rhode Island and Michigan. The states w the highest # of tests per capita, in order, are New York, Louisiana, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, DC, New Mexico, Utah and New Jersey. As of 4/12, the US has a testing rate of 8.0 per thousand. For comparison, S. Korea's rate is 10.0 per thousand and Italy's is 16.3 per thousand.
              - 22,158 deaths in US, up from 16,716, a 32.6% increase which is a much smaller increase than last time (51.9%) but that could be partly because of weekend underreporting. Wyoming still is the only state that has not yet reported a death and American Samoa is the only territory w/o a case. The US mortality rate is now 3.94%, which is higher than last time, (3.56%). The states w the highest # of deaths per capita, in order, are New York, New Jersey, Louisiana, Connecticut, Michigan, Massachusetts, DC and Washington state.
              - 1,866,779 cases worldwide, up from 1,618,649, a 15.3% increase which is a smaller increase than last time (19.0%) but that could be partly because of weekend underreporting.
              - 115,365 deaths worldwide, up from 96,956, a 19.0% increase which is a much smaller increase than last time (27.4%) but that could be partly because of weekend underreporting. Mortality rates continue to rise but at a slower rate. The world mortality rate is 6.18%, up from 5.99%. Italy's mortality rate is 12.76%, up from 12.72%, Spain's is 10.32%, up from 10.09%, France's is 10.86%, up from 10.37% and UK's is 12.59%, up from 12.26%. Germany's is still low, 2.36% but up from 2.14%.
              - 215 countries/territories/etc. have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 1 other (North Korea), up from 212. There are only 14 countries, 11 of which are island republics, that have neither reported nor have suspected deaths: Lesotho, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Comoros, Kiribati, Marshall Is., Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Solomon Is., Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu. The vast majority of countries have at least 1 death, w Vietnam having the most cases w no reported deaths, 265.

Because of weekend underreporting, it's hard to say what the trend is the last 3 days but rate increases probably continue to drop slightly. But from looking at the case and death curves of countries, there has not been much change in rates of increase. The rates of increase for most European countries have slowed very slightly while those of the US and UK show no noticeable change. If there's light at the end of the tunnel, it's still very dim now.
              Last edited by rhd; 04-13-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• rhd....appreciate these summaries but would it not be less work and also easier for you to identify changes and trends if these comparisons were done on a weekly vs a 3 day basis?

With weekend reporting apparently a real factor a 3 day reporting period will always have a different mix of weekday/weekends.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
                  rhd....appreciate these summaries but would it not be less work and also easier for you to identify changes and trends if these comparisons were done on a weekly vs a 3 day basis?

With weekend reporting apparently a real factor a 3 day reporting period will always have a different mix of weekday/weekends.
                  The reason I decided on every 3 days was because for several weeks the rates were doubling every 3 days. Now the doubling rates are longer. But I'll stick w every 3 days for now. I may change to every week later on.

Comment

I don't believe in a God, but if there were a Supreme being and I was it. I would hope to have done a better job creating mankind in the first place.
                    I think you are implying you would eliminate free will? Please excuse me if that is not correct. I can't see a different theory.

Since you do not believe in God and you are ok with the thinning of the herd, do you consider this as part of the evolutionary chain?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I think you are implying you would eliminate free will? Please excuse me if that is not correct. I can't see a different theory.

Since you do not believe in God and you are ok with the thinning of the herd, do you consider this as part of the evolutionary chain?
                      I don't believe in God so I also do not believe that for Good to exist, Evil must exist also.

If I'm God and creating a car with my vast infinite knowledge/wisdom, why would I not create the absolute best car there ever was or will be, one that exists in harmony with everything else I've created?

Forgive me if I don't give you the answer you want, but let me say this--If I could push a button and every Pedophile in the world would disappear--I would and never blink. So thinning the Herd? No, Culling the Wheat-Yes. But that should come as no surprise to you.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I don't believe in God so I also do not believe that for Good to exist, Evil must exist also.

If I'm God and creating a car with my vast infinite knowledge/wisdom, why would I not create the absolute best car there ever was or will be, one that exists in harmony with everything else I've created?

Forgive me if I don't give you the answer you want, but let me say this--If I could push a button and every Pedophile in the world would disappear--I would and never blink. So thinning the Herd? No, Culling the Wheat-Yes. But that should come as no surprise to you.
                        I am not asking for you to tell me what I want to hear.

It is evident that while you do not believe there must be evil for good to exist, you still believe there is good and evil.

Is it possible that the virus is culling the wheat? Is the virus evil or just another link in the evolutionary chain? Or ???

Just to save time, I do not believe at all that this is God smiting the evil or culling the wheat at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          I am not asking for you to tell me what I want to hear.

It is evident that while you do not believe there must be evil for good to exist, you still believe there is good and evil.

Is it possible that the virus is culling the wheat? Is the virus evil or just another link in the evolutionary chain? Or ???

Just to save time, I do not believe at all that this is God smiting the evil or culling the wheat at all.
                          I don't believe in God, so I don't believe in smiting. Nor biblical plagues sent as punishment.

This virus is indiscriminate so no it doesn't cull, it infects and kills. Period. It has no purpose. It exists and does what it is designed to do. It is neither evil or good. It exists.

Yes I do believe there is evil, but it only exists in sentient beings.

And lima beans.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I don't believe in God, so I don't believe in smiting. Nor biblical plagues sent as punishment.

This virus is indiscriminate so no it doesn't cull, it infects and kills. Period. It has no purpose. It exists and does what it is designed to do. It is neither evil or good. It exists.

And lima beans.
                            Thank you for the explanation.

I did not think you believe in God smiting. I have read that some Christians seem to think this is smiting. I am not one of those and do not want to be associated with that line of thinking.

Comment

Hmm, interesting. Sentience sets the bar low, as it suggests other animals can commit acts of evil. Maybe you could make a case for that. For me, by definition, an evil act requires an understanding of morality, and the ability to reflect on what is moral and immoral and act accordingly. So it would be exclusive to people. But then again, there are animals that show a high level of intelligence and emotional awareness. So, perhaps it is an evil act when an orca, which is highly intelligent, plays with and tortures seals before eating them, or a community of chimps rips apart the babies of another community. But I label that is just cruel, not evil. Humans do not have a monopoly on cruelty in nature, but I think, as the term is defined, we are the only ones capable of "evil," but I may be underestimating the ability of some other animals to reason out "right" and "wrong" and the ability of some of them to consciously choose "wrong" for the hell of it.

Comment

I don't believe in smiting. .
                                Wait, isn't that what happens after you drag someone from an SUV ?
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X