Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Ok fair point that those states are less dense. Nonetheless, Fauci has publicly endorsed the full national lockdown and it makes little sense at this point to gamble with lives by not doing so. And those states do have urban centers: SLC, Omaha, Charleston, Little Rock, and Des Moines to name a few.
    right, but half those states have thousands of square miles with minimal populations and very, very few tourists when the world was normal. if you live 100 miles from a city out there, how many newcomers are going to turn up now?

not that I'm opposed to what Fauci said, either. he's the expert. but in the regions I'm talking about - and it's the bulk of the land in several of them - it's perilously close to a moot point. and even if it's an official statewide "stay home" ruling, it's not going to stop the local cop from sharing a brew with the locals anyway. and the feds don't have the manpower to check on them, either.

I think my post and the previous one to mine both were pretty obviously misleading. but you only raised a red flag to one of them.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      right, but half those states have thousands of square miles with minimal populations and very, very few tourists when the world was normal. if you live 100 miles from a city out there, how many newcomers are going to turn up now?

not that I'm opposed to what Fauci said, either. he's the expert. but in the regions I'm talking about - and it's the bulk of the land in several of them - it's perilously close to a moot point. and even if it's an official statewide "stay home" ruling, it's not going to stop the local cop from sharing a brew with the locals anyway. and the feds don't have the manpower to check on them, either.

I think my post and the previous one to mine both were pretty obviously misleading. but you only raised a red flag to one of them.
      But that's because one is a notable trend from a political standpoint while the other is just math. Alaska has by far the most open space so not sure the open spaces argument really holds merit. Are you really arguing that politics has no bearing on how Governors have responded?
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        Only eight states have not issued stay-at-home orders. All of them have Republican governors.

Arkansas
        Iowa
        Nebraska
        North Dakota
        South Carolina
        South Dakota
        Utah
        Wyoming
        It makes no sense whatsoever for South Carolina to be on that list. Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Wyoming maybe have a case.

Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 04-04-2020, 06:22 PM.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

But that's because one is a notable trend from a political standpoint while the other is just math. Alaska has by far the most open space so not sure the open spaces argument really holds merit. Are you really arguing that politics has no bearing on how Governors have responded?
          It absolutely does and to ignore it is as willfully ignorant as the Governors who think they know better about how to handle this crisis than the doctors.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

the other problem is that "no stay-at-home orders" definitely appears to be misleading, at best, just from this thread.
            In my area that is one of the main arguments by people who are not taking it very seriously. It's not bad here or we would be locked down like other states is an argument I get daily.

Comment

• I will wild-ass guesstimate that the percentage of the territory of Alaska that is engaging in "stay at home" conduct is perilously close to zero.

there are very strong trends of statewide quarantines both in terms of state politics and in population per square mile. seems silly to argue otherwise.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Okay, this one is maybe more telling. The sparsely populated states that have an official shutdown also have a Democratic governor (Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Maine, Kansas) or a relatively high case rate (Idaho). Alaska being the one exception to that. The four states that are more densely populated (South Carolina, Arkansas, Iowa) or have a high case rate (Utah) and have not shut down all have Republican governors. I think this should effectively refute JJ's argument that party-shutdown link is coincidental.

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I will wild-ass guesstimate that the percentage of the territory of Alaska that is engaging in "stay at home" conduct is perilously close to zero.

there are very strong trends of statewide quarantines both in terms of state politics and in population per square mile. seems silly to argue otherwise.
                    The point is, it's not about your opinion or guesstimating, It's about listening to the Virus experts. PERIOD.

To do otherwise it to put people's lives at stake.

These Governors are complicit in ANY death that occurs because they failed to do what was asked of them.

As for Population and your Guess that people won't be in contact because of Small Town ect ect, there is NO way you can say it won't absolutely happen with or without the stay at home order--None

Not One life--NOT ONE, should be compromised because of this idiotic mindset.

JFC, how hard is that to understand?
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Okay, this one is maybe more telling. The sparsely populated states that have an official shutdown also have a Democratic governor (Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Maine, Kansas) or a relatively high case rate (Idaho). Alaska being the one exception to that. The four states that are densely populated (South Carolina, Arkansas, Iowa) or have a high case rate (Utah) and have not shut down all have Republican governors. I think this should effectively refute JJ's argument that party-shutdown link is coincidental.
                      Thanks for making a much better argument.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Thanks for making a much better argument.
                        agreed, thanks KS

Comment

• "I think this should effectively refute JJ's argument that party-shutdown link is coincidental."

sigh. if you're going to put words in someone's mouth, at least put the right ones in there.

another example:

"The point is, it's not about your opinion or guesstimating, It's about listening to the Virus experts. PERIOD."

both are doozies, but that comment scolding a guy who wrote: "not that I'm opposed to what Fauci said, either. he's the expert" - that really takes the cake.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

"I think this should effectively refute JJ's argument that party-shutdown link is coincidental."

sigh. if you're going to put words in someone's mouth, at least put the right ones in there.

another example:

"The point is, it's not about your opinion or guesstimating, It's about listening to the Virus experts. PERIOD."

both are doozies, but that comment scolding a guy who wrote: "not that I'm opposed to what Fauci said, either. he's the expert" - that really takes the cake.
                            What?

Comment

"I think this should effectively refute JJ's argument that party-shutdown link is coincidental."

another example:

yeah--what? It was pointed out that the only idiots who haven't complied with the experts are GOP Governors, you pulles some But Democrats have the most deaths in their states whataboutit bullshit out of your butt rather than acknowledge the fact that Ordering the lockdowns is a completely different thing than the correlation of deaths and political affiliation.

It's pretty obvious you tried to avert criticism from one party, but you failed. the GOP has been the party of dragging it's feet this entire damn crisis.

Ignore it if you want, just don't try to foist that BS on the rest of us.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                What?
                                I wrote: "there are very strong trends of statewide quarantines both in terms of state politics and in population per square mile. seems silly to argue otherwise."

you claimed, falsely: "I think this should effectively refute JJ's argument that party-shutdown link is coincidental."

here's the population density rankings of the eight non-statewide order stay-at-home states - "coincidentally" seven of them are below the U.S. average:

Wyoming 49
                                North Dakota 46
                                South Dakota 45
                                Nebraska 43
                                Utah 40
                                Iowa 36
                                Arkansas 34
                                South Carolina 19

that is one helluva coincidence!

and what part of my observation about "very strong trends of statewide quarantines both in terms of state politics and in population per square mile" are you disagreeing with, exactly?

meanwhile, another poster - confronted with his error - tries deflection mode away from addressing:

this is in spite of my comment a few minutes earlier of "not that I'm opposed to what Fauci said, either. he's the expert."

and the audience is oh so happy to play along. no need to consider the various posts - why risk end up disagreeing with the party line, and risk being ostracized from the circle?
                                Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-04-2020, 07:41 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X