Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    This is a big deal. It is more deadly than the flu by a factor of about 20 times, but much less deadly than some other super bugs, which puts it in the sweet spot of spreading as much as possible and potentially killing many factors more people than the more deadly viruses that were easier to contain. I very much hope this estimate is wrong, but this article say that 40-70% of people will have this virus within a year, and you could be talking about millions of people dead with those numbers. I just highlight this, because it seems some folks have been dismissive of the level of concern FS has about this. This is no joke. Taking it seriously and trying to contain its spread will save lives. It is appalling that Trump and his admin is trying to minimize it and minize how serious people take it. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/607000/
    I wasn't minimizing it, I have a cough and was short of breath last night. No fever, but am over 50--so I have a cough. I hope it's only a cough.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      Yep, there was a good NPR clip on the virus for children that mentioned that. Helping my wife to not panic is the hardest part, though.
      It might be helpful to stress how even if she got the virus, it is unlikely to show symptoms worse than a bad cold. But also stress the moral responsibility of trying to not be a carrier of the virus to spread to the more vulnerable. That is my thinking. I doubt if I get this, or my wife, or two young boys, it would do us any lasting harm, but I don't want to contribute to the spread of this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I wasn't minimizing it, I have a cough and was short of breath last night. No fever, but am over 50--so I have a cough. I hope it's only a cough.
        I wasn't thinking of your comment when I made my post. I am afraid to mention whose comment I was replying to for fear of him feeling picked on--he popped up like a groundhog in this thread, and i appreciated his return, but I fear he already saw his shadow and went back underground .

Comment

I wasn't thinking of your comment when I made my post. I am afraid to mention whose comment I was replying to for fear of him feeling picked on--he popped up like a groundhog in this thread, and i appreciated his return, but I fear he already saw his shadow and went back underground .
          I think you're just being JudgeMental.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I think you're just being JudgeMental.
            Has "Hey Jude" been picked yet? Oh dang it, wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Has "Hey Jude" been picked yet? Oh dang it, wrong thread.
              This posts reminds me of the scene in Hook when Robin Williams starts to have fun and the Lost Boys say--Look Peter, you're doing it--You're playing!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This posts reminds me of the scene in Hook when Robin Williams starts to have fun and the Lost Boys say--Look Peter, you're doing it--You're playing!
                Just watched that a few days ago with my kids. That's a fun scene. And makes me miss Robin Williams.

Comment

Just watched that a few days ago with my kids. That's a fun scene. And makes me miss Robin Williams.
                  Brilliant, yet so much pain lurking just out of sight, Sad.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

He was magical. For me, there are performers who fit a niche at a particular time. They may be good at what they do, but if they did not exist, a comparable performer would fill that niche and not much would change. Williams was the other kind of performer. He was special and brought something special to the work he did. None of it would have been the same without him. I'm glad we had him for as long as we did.

Comment

It might be helpful to stress how even if she got the virus, it is unlikely to show symptoms worse than a bad cold. But also stress the moral responsibility of trying to not be a carrier of the virus to spread to the more vulnerable. That is my thinking. I doubt if I get this, or my wife, or two young boys, it would do us any lasting harm, but I don't want to contribute to the spread of this thing.
                      These are really good points
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The crowd that insists coronavirus is a hoax, somehow matches crowd that attends the white supremacist rallies for trump want who argue in support of trump and his push of cruelty vs the other, the dark skinned people. We literally are kidnapping and caging children and separating them from parents for so many months that the kids dont recognize parents. Recall Jeff Sessions and the 4/6/2018 zero tolerance policy related to the MISDEMEANOR of illegal entry to this country. These same people who dont get that the mueller report was not an exoneration but validation that trump obstructed and would be charged with a dozen events, each case would be chargable. But here is the part 2 breakdown that due to regs a sitting president cant be charged. This demonstrates how far our country has fallen that even this, the early stage of a pandemic, is still viewed through a political lens.

Deal is this. Country is ill prepared for a real emergency with this President, who we rightly should have hesitance in believing. Unlike every other President prior, this one is a habitual liar, who with his every budget proposed has tried to cut CDC funding to draconian levels, though congress has interceded each time. U.S. is not testing on the scale of china and s korea yet, so the numbers look like virus is missing us, but the tests are starting to roll out (though if you are uninsured it will cost some $3k+, unlike china and s korea who want people to step forward to be tested so offer incentives, sigh. Can you imagine a better case for universal health care than this virus being super widespread and lingering?

By monday next week u.s. will have more than 1000 cases of coronavirus, and it will simply be because we are testing instead of 10 or 20 people a day throughout country, something more, though nowhere near the 10,000+ tests a day china and south korea are administering. 20 times more deadly than common flu, new virus without a vaccine yet. And the reassuring words from trump is when warm weather comes in april this will fade away like magic. This idiot actually said that. Just anybody, any body, would be better for country than this 2nd rate reality show huckster who has normalized lies, and distrust of media and law enforcement, and of decency.

Comment

According to an analysis i just read--Likely 300 to 600 cases in Snohomish county WA.
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I heard a report on BC residents concerns about cases in Seattle, and the reporter stated that "more tests have been administered in British Columbia so far than all of the United States." I found that staggering and terrifying.

I hope everyone is okay from this. I also hope it is a catalyst to get Medicare for All passed to every citizen. Its amoral and unjustifiable that people will die based on their income. This crisis should make the need for M4A abundantly clear.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              I've never had the flu (nor a flu shot), and the only "sick days" I've ever taken/needed were 3 for a sore hip from hiking (after 25 years or so without one, mainly I wanted to get "the streak" monkey off my back) and 5 for a hernia operation (which apparently is not a lot).

I have tap water, and am not interested in any of the rest of the items (wait, you do have toilet paper in there, lol).

pardon me if I skip the whole panic thing. carry on.
                              you were around animals growing up. you probably had a dog. they challenged your immune system and gave you a stronger one. i am the same way. never missed a day of school. and the rare times i got sick was on a weekend. same thing at the workplace too. but you get older and that super trait doesn't hold. especially like me if you are an alcoholic, and god only knows if the scumbags i hung out with last summer can give me hep C or B from only smoking pot. i don't think so. i had super immune system my entire life, but i don't brag about it anymore now that i am older and abused myself. which i think everyone does.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                                I heard a report on BC residents concerns about cases in Seattle, and the reporter stated that "more tests have been administered in British Columbia so far than all of the United States." I found that staggering and terrifying.

I hope everyone is okay from this. I also hope it is a catalyst to get Medicare for All passed to every citizen. Its amoral and unjustifiable that people will die based on their income. This crisis should make the need for M4A abundantly clear.
                                I work North of Seattle and see lots of BC plates. Based on what the exposure likely is I'm sure it is going to spread from Seattle. I suspect BC is better prepared than we are, for testing anyway. 6 High Schools were closed today I think. Extracurricular school events starting to get cancelled and plans for remote school. And this is while their are only 15 or so cases reported.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X