Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
    I've been thinking about this alot the last 2 years. there's tons of factors.
    2) social reasons- this almost covers everything. politics, economics. for example, watching TV was a passive action. I played video games when I was young had a Atari 2600 and Apple2. but the internet and cellphones are active actions. it makes people inattentive and impatient. also, a dual income family, still living in debt, chasing the American dream doesn't have time to read 3 different newspapers or opinions a day.
    I don't see this... in previous years, when you didn't have time to research something, you took the advice of experts or authority. that changed, rightly so, in the 60s I guess, but the pendulum has swung way too far. Now people are reading more than 3 different things, but there's so much out there that they can pick and choose streams that confirm their bias. Everyone is their own expert in everything... or if they aren't there's too much out there that they don't know what to believe and just resign to thinking there are no answers and it's all just unknowable.

7) look at Covid-19 from the perspective of a conventional war. in war you have a defined enemy or bad guy. it's easier to get 300 million people on the same page. that might be a bad example as very rarely does a war like WWII happen where everyone agrees. but Covid-19 is a single organism. it's hard to literally point a finger at something 0.12 microns.
    I don't understand this either. If anything, Covid is the simplest enemy to understand. It's got a singular mission that is not effected by emotion or grey area causes. It should be simple to define the enemy and agree on a course of action.

10) I blame Corgi's. they are cute with small legs. they are slowly taking over the world and they have a Corgi master plan. I discovered there is a movie called a Very Corgi Christmas, and suddenly I thought what a great shirt that would be.
    fuckin' corgis. fuck those fuckers.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• 250,000 are expected for the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally/Festival.

They are coming from all over. This cannot be a good idea moving forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        250,000 are expected for the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally/Festival.

They are coming from all over. This cannot be a good idea moving forward.
        Thinking of selling my Harley since a bunch will be flooding the market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Thinking of selling my Harley since a bunch will be flooding the market.
          Or you can wait a few months, pick a couple up on the cheap and start your own biker gang!
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Gov. DeWine of Ohio tests positive for coronavirus
            Apparently a false positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              He tested positively toward the negative.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                A clever way of NOT having to appear with Trump.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  A clever way of NOT having to appear with Trump.
                  Ha, a trick Melania should learn.

Comment

• imagine we are the emperor of japan at the end of WWII. ask why Japan surrendered. it's not like the world didn't know about nuclear weapons being developed. other countries were close. the emperor understood america developed one first and deployed it. surrendering wasn't about the destruction of Japanese elites and rich people running public policy losing money. it was about the destruction of the Japanese people. the emperor cared about his people.

you can't say that about the world anymore. we worship rich and famous people. we want to be like them because the morays of society say that is the meaning of success. the game were there is money in the room and how much do you take and the answer is all of it -even if it isn't sustainable. it's the proverbial tortoise and hare race. ..the tortoise won, right?

nature does it. that makes it scary. but nature does police itself. if one species is too dominate some counterbalance happens and the ecosystem survives. but, if everyone agreed on everything there would be no freewill, and intelligence would be a hive mentality. the best ending to any movie I ever saw was The Invasion with Nicole Kidman. when they defeated the aliens and were watching TV the day after and crime, strife, disarray was back in the world.

even if that means as a species we still destroy ourselves. because we employ unsustainable measure's because it's our nature. this is where Hanlon's razor bumps head's with Occam's razor.

for example, Trump issue's an economic stimulus edict bypassing congress that he knows can't be implemented -at least the unemployment enhancement, the other stuff like delaying student loan interest works though. and when people don't get the extra money congress can be blamed. it's a win win scenario for one party because they didn't want unemployment enhancement anyways and they get to blame someone else.

it's survival of the fittest. even if it's an oxymoron and it's unsustainable. but it's one hell of a ride.

Comment

• The Mid-America Conference became the first domino to fall, becoming the first FBS conference to cancel its fall football season. UConn cancelled its football season last week also, but they are unaffiliated with a conference and saw they were getting left out. Additionally in an interview with CBS, 5 "Power 5" ADs all predicted the entire NCAA college football season will be cancelled soon enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        The Mid-America Conference became the first domino to fall, becoming the first FBS conference to cancel its fall football season. UConn cancelled its football season last week also, but they are unaffiliated with a conference and saw they were getting left out. Additionally in an interview with CBS, 5 "Power 5" ADs all predicted the entire NCAA college football season will be cancelled soon enough.
                        The big domino rt now is the Big 10, who I think is supposed to vote today. If they cancel or postpone, the other major conferences probably will follow suit and everyone will try again in the spring.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                          imagine we are the emperor of japan at the end of WWII. ask why Japan surrendered. it's not like the world didn't know about nuclear weapons being developed. other countries were close. the emperor understood america developed one first and deployed it. surrendering wasn't about the destruction of Japanese elites and rich people running public policy losing money. it was about the destruction of the Japanese people. the emperor cared about his people.
                          I beg to differ. The industrialists (or, 'zaibatsu') and military leaders were the elites and heavily influenced the emperor to start surrender negotiations after the Russians invaded Manchuria. Many (though not all) elites recognized instantly that surrender to the US was going to lead to a vastly superior outcome than having some or much of their country conquered by the Russians. In fact, some historians argue the nuclear bombs weren't needed as the Russian entry into the war was the critical factor in the Japanese surrender. I happen to believe they're wrong - as journals of Japanese military leaders who were alive at the surrender certainly indicate that they were planning for battle in the homeland all the way up to the dropping of the first nuclear bomb.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            I beg to differ. The industrialists (or, 'zaibatsu') and military leaders were the elites and heavily influenced the emperor to start surrender negotiations after the Russians invaded Manchuria. Many (though not all) elites recognized instantly that surrender to the US was going to lead to a vastly superior outcome than having some or much of their country conquered by the Russians. In fact, some historians argue the nuclear bombs weren't needed as the Russian entry into the war was the critical factor in the Japanese surrender. I happen to believe they're wrong - as journals of Japanese military leaders who were alive at the surrender certainly indicate that they were planning for battle in the homeland all the way up to the dropping of the first nuclear bomb.
                            I agree Japan wasn't going to surrender until the nuclear bombs were deployed. the first homeland island to island battles were a horror for everyone. I guess I am trying to compare covid-19 to a nuclear bomb and the reactions of our elites to Japan's. it might not be a comparable situation. I also agree that Japan preferred to surrender to america instead of russia in the hopes of getting a better deal.

Comment

• According to the Worldometers website, the world now has 20 mil. CV-19 cases .
                              Last edited by rhd; 08-09-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 8/3 at 7:46 AM, exactly 7 days ago. Mortality rate is figured using the current death total divided by the total cases from the update 3 weeks ago (7/20):

- 5,200,313 cases in the US, up from 4,813,984, an increase of 8.03% which is a much smaller increase than last time (10.11%). The new cases for this period were 386,329 which gives a 7-day daily average of 55,190, down from 63,142. A comparison w last period's new cases (441,992) gives a new cases increase rate of 0.874, which is as low as it's ever been since I've kept this statistic and much lower than that of the last update (0.977). It looks like things are headed in a good direction again overall, altho the situation in some places is still bad.
                                - 165,619 deaths in the US, up from 158,375, an increase of 4.57% which is a smaller increase than last time (5.69%). At this rate of increase, the US projects to have 200,000 deaths by about 9/10. The new deaths for this period were 7,244, which gives a 7-day daily average of 1,035, down from 1,218. The mortality rate is 4.25% (165,619/3,898,694), lower than last time (4.64% (158,375/3,414,105)). The rate for the week's new deaths is 1.49% (7,244/484,589), much lower than last time (1.98% (8,523/430,950)).
                                - 20,012,523 cases worldwide, up from 18,202,448, an increase of 9.94% which is a smaller increase than last time (11.02%). The new cases for this period were 1,810,075, which gives a 7-day daily average of 258,582, up very slightly from 258,084. A comparison w last period's new cases (1,806,587) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.002, which is lower than last time (1.043).
                                - 734,794 deaths worldwide, up from 693,396, an increase of 5.97% which is a smaller increase than last time (6.21%). At this rate of increase, the world projects to have 1,000,000 deaths by about 9/18. The new deaths for this period were 41,398, which gives a 7-day daily average of 5,914, up from 5,794. The mortality rate is 5.01% (734,794/14,663,785), lower than last time (5.33% (693,396/13,009,990)). The rate for the week's new deaths is 2.50% (41,398/1,653,795), lower than for the previous period (2.75% (40,555/1,476,616)).

Rates of increase for both cases and deaths were smaller than last time for both the world and the US. New case rate increases dropped for both the world and the US and overall mortality rates continue to decrease for both the world and the US. The US seems to be getting better now altho we still have a long way to go. The new case rate increases need to get below 0.70. I dont see this pandemic being mostly over here until at least January. When I heard about the insane motorcycle "convention" in South Dakota, I thought "that may extend the pandemic 2 more months just by itself." I hope I'm wrong.

Cases continue to surge in Russia, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Bolivia, Mexico, the Middle East, India, Bangladesh and South Africa. Spain continues to experience an upturn in case rate increases. In India, the daily cases (over 60,000) now exceed that of the US. But in Pakistan things appear to be flattening out.
                                Last edited by rhd; 08-10-2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X