No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some potentially good news, based on early results from a clinical trial for the drug remdesivir for the treatment of COVID-19: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...ug/ar-BB12KGlu

It would be great if this turns out to really be a helpful treatment, although we have a long way to go to know for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      In your list, you forgot self censoring.
      I disagree. I didn't forget anything. And you can't prove that I did.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
        I didn't forget anything. And you can't effing prove that I did.
        I disagree....

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          I disagree....
          DON'T EDIT MY POSTS! DON'T YOU DARE EDIT MY POSTS!

Now THAT was a fun argument to read and not participate in at all. I may have to go back and read it again, if I can track it down.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            yeah, I was going to start calling them Canadians ...
            Cough...Art...cough.

Comment

Apologies? Reasoned debate? What the F are we doing here? Least entertaining argument ever. LAME!
              I feel bad so enjoy the greatest fight scene ever put on film:

Comment

DON'T EDIT MY POSTS! DON'T YOU DARE EDIT MY POSTS!

Now THAT was a fun argument to read and not participate in at all. I may have to go back and read it again, if I can track it down.
                Haha, if it was only the quote it would have been fun. Way past that now though!

Comment

• The insane psycho temporarily inhabiting the White House is literally promoting a Civil War on Twitter. He's tweeting non-stop:
                  "Liberate Virginia!"
                  "Liberate Minnesota!"
                  "Liberate Michigan!"

He is literally calling for a Civil War, but instead of the Yankees vs. the Confederates, it will be the Smart vs. the Stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    The insane psycho temporarily inhabiting the White House is literally promoting a Civil War on Twitter. He's tweeting non-stop:
                    "Liberate Virginia!"
                    "Liberate Minnesota!"
                    "Liberate Michigan!"

He is literally calling for a Civil War, but instead of the Yankees vs. the Confederates, it will be the Smart vs. the Stupid.
                    Our only hope is that the stupid keep to themselves. Honestly, at this point, how can we feel any sympathy towards these people?
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Our only hope is that the stupid keep to themselves. Honestly, at this point, how can we feel any sympathy towards these people?
                      As much as I sometimes dream of a two-state solution to American politics, it isn't as simple as red and blue states. A large minority of people that do not agree with Trump or policies he and red state governors are promoting related to COVID-19, and they have to suffer the consequences. I feel bad for them, and for the rest of us, as when they get infected, it spreads the disease to others, connecting us all. But yeah, those who say thinks like Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil and the rest who basically say, let people die, as the "cure is worse than the disease," if those people get offed by this thing, it is in keeping with their wishes, so it is hard to feel bad about it.

ETA: Did everyone see that Dr. Phil was on Fox News, on the Ingraham Angle, claiming 360k a year die in pool accidents, so why are we shutting down our economy for COVID-19? He was off by over a factor of 100, and he was not corrected. You don't need to know any stats to know that it is absurd to think that 360k die a year in this country via pool drownings: https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ts/5151534002/
                      Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-17-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        I feel bad so enjoy the greatest fight scene ever put on film:

Such fond memories of being drunk and watching this fight scene in college at like 3 AM.

Comment

• Comic Con officially cancelled for this year. They should replace it with Stupid Con and sell tickets to MAGAts, who can all infect themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Comic Con officially cancelled for this year. They should replace it with Stupid Con and sell tickets to MAGAts, who can all infect themselves.
                            Now there's an idea

BTW who said armed conflict was a possibility if Trump didn't get re elected, looks like I was off a few months or so...…..
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Its possible that one of my out on a limb theories that I wouldnt have bet on, might be true! Need more studies to agree with these results though...

Background Addressing COVID-19 is a pressing health and social concern. To date, many epidemic projections and policies addressing COVID-19 have been designed without seroprevalence data to inform epidemic parameters. We measured the seroprevalence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in Santa Clara County. Methods On 4/3-4/4, 2020, we tested county residents for antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 using a lateral flow immunoassay. Participants were recruited using Facebook ads targeting a representative sample of the county by demographic and geographic characteristics. We report the prevalence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in a sample of 3,330 people, adjusting for zip code, sex, and race/ethnicity. We also adjust for test performance characteristics using 3 different estimates: (i) the test manufacturer’s data, (ii) a sample of 37 positive and 30 negative controls tested at Stanford, and (iii) a combination of both. Results The unadjusted prevalence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in Santa Clara County was 1.5% (exact binomial 95CI 1.11-1.97%), and the population-weighted prevalence was 2.81% (95CI 2.24-3.37%). Under the three scenarios for test performance characteristics, the population prevalence of COVID-19 in Santa Clara ranged from 2.49% (95CI 1.80-3.17%) to 4.16% (2.58-5.70%). These prevalence estimates represent a range between 48,000 and 81,000 people infected in Santa Clara County by early April, 50-85-fold more than the number of confirmed cases. Conclusions The population prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in Santa Clara County implies that the infection is much more widespread than indicated by the number of confirmed cases. Population prevalence estimates can now be used to calibrate epidemic and mortality projections. ### Competing Interest Statement The authors have declared no competing interest. ### Funding Statement We acknowledge many individual donors who generously supported this project with gift awards. The funders had no role in the design and conduct of the study, nor in the decision to prepare and submit the manuscript for publication. ### Author Declarations All relevant ethical guidelines have been followed; any necessary IRB and/or ethics committee approvals have been obtained and details of the IRB/oversight body are included in the manuscript. Yes All necessary patient/participant consent has been obtained and the appropriate institutional forms have been archived. Yes I understand that all clinical trials and any other prospective interventional studies must be registered with an ICMJE-approved registry, such as ClinicalTrials.gov. I confirm that any such study reported in the manuscript has been registered and the trial registration ID is provided (note: if posting a prospective study registered retrospectively, please provide a statement in the trial ID field explaining why the study was not registered in advance). Yes I have followed all appropriate research reporting guidelines and uploaded the relevant EQUATOR Network research reporting checklist(s) and other pertinent material as supplementary files, if applicable. Yes The data is not available for sharing at this time.

These prevalence estimates represent a range between 48,000 and 81,000 people infected in Santa Clara County by early April, 50-85-fold more than the number of confirmed cases. Conclusions The population prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in Santa Clara County implies that the infection is much more widespread than indicated by the number of confirmed cases. Population prevalence estimates can now be used to calibrate epidemic and mortality projections.
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                                Its possible that one of my out on a limb theories that I wouldnt have bet on, might be true! Need more studies to agree with these results though...

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....14.20062463v1
                                The population prevalence of antibodies was 1.5%, which isn't that much higher than the prevalence in the national study I am familiar with that was conducted Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. The Santa Clara study then did a demographic weighting adjustment to 2.8%, which may be accurate, I don't know. Santa Clara County currently has a case rate of 0.0954%. I don't know what it was on April 3-4 when their test was conducted, but if Santa Clara has been growing at the same rate as the rest of California, then it was about half that, or 0.0477%. That's about 30x on the unadjusted count, or 60x after the demographic adjustment.

Whereas in the study I'm familiar with, the prevalence of antibodies is around 1% and conducted at a time when the national case rate is about 0.2%, which led me to posit a 5x ratio. I don't know how to square those two.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X