No announcement yet.

RJEL Minor League Draft results:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urquidy is definitely lower ceiling than the other guys I was considering there (Carroll, Gilbert, <redacted>) but I'm trying to win this year and he has a decent chance of contributing - various FG projection systems all have him worth about $9. But as you can tell from the number of teenagers being taken, there's a lot of willingness to wait four or five years for a star. Part of the dynamic is that we have 15 minor leaguers but we only draft six per year, so you can't just be taking short-term guys.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      Urquidy is definitely lower ceiling than the other guys I was considering there (Carroll, Gilbert, <redacted>) but I'm trying to win this year and he has a decent chance of contributing - various FG projection systems all have him worth about $9. But as you can tell from the number of teenagers being taken, there's a lot of willingness to wait four or five years for a star. Part of the dynamic is that we have 15 minor leaguers but we only draft six per year, so you can't just be taking short-term guys.
      Man, I didn't realize just what a stacked deck you have...that's just sick.

Still don't like the Urquidy pick though...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Bump...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          4.17 Jarren Duran OF, Boston
          4.18 Jhoan Duran P, Minnesota

5th Round

5.01 Ezequiel Duran 2B, New York Yankees
          [/B]
          I wish I still had a pick left, I think Duran Duran is still available.

Oh, sorry, wrong draft ...
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

And Done! Nice pace gents...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              And Done! Nice pace gents...
              agreed, seemed to go much quicker than last year.

was it just me or did people seem to dig way deeper this year? there were a ton of names I had never heard of before (there always are a bunch for me, but it seemed like there were even more this year)
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                agreed, seemed to go much quicker than last year.

was it just me or did people seem to dig way deeper this year? there were a ton of names I had never heard of before (there always are a bunch for me, but it seemed like there were even more this year)
                My list is fairly truncated (few pitchers, catchers, Yankees) and there's always several picks that didn't make my list. It did seem, however, that there were a lot more this year. It kind of makes sense. Most of our picks amount to nothing; there are very few "safe" picks. Thus, your mid-draft safe OF play has about the same chance of hitting as your wild-ass teenage upside play, so you might as well go big. You aren't losing anything really.

Comment

I had a pretty deep draft prep list (200 deep), and there were still 36 taken that weren't on my list at all. While there are always many taken in RJEL dev squad drafts like that, because of the depth of our minor league rosters, it was an unusually large amount this year. And an awful lot of really young SS too...
                  "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Out of curiosity, why was Urquidy available, and other similar type players weren't?

I understand that dropped players with rookie eligibility would have been made available, but why was he dropped?

Have keepers been declared in this league already and he had too high of a price from FAAB? That would make sense if so, although surprising that other similar players were not in the same situation.

Comment

It looks like he just wasn't owned. Picked up at $2 on July 22, cut on August 5, never picked up again.

I cut Karinchak and Andres Munoz with a vague plan of picking them up again in the minor league draft and then decided not to. Karinchak got taken. Not sure if anyone else actually planned this out or not.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Out of curiosity, why was Urquidy available, and other similar type players weren't?

I understand that dropped players with rookie eligibility would have been made available, but why was he dropped?

Have keepers been declared in this league already and he had too high of a price from FAAB? That would make sense if so, although surprising that other similar players were not in the same situation.
                        If the player was acquired through FAAB and/or he is activated/used in an active line up during the season (which he was) he loses Minor League elig for the next season if he's kept (even if he traded). However, if he's dropped, he may be redrafted as a minor leaguer. I had to have that clarified as I was looking at drafting him, and I had a similar situation in that I traded for Carter Kieboom after he had been activated on another team who could no longer be kept as a minor leaguer.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          cut on August 5, never picked up again.
                          That's the strange part for me. In an 18 team 5x5 Urquidy was wayyyy above replacement value last year. He should have been in someone's lineup, much less on a roster.

I guess the problem is that he had 2 bad starts in July which bloated his season stats, and his best month was September so no one realized his value until it was too late?

Comment

That's the strange part for me. In an 18 team 5x5 Urquidy was wayyyy above replacement value last year. He should have been in someone's lineup, much less on a roster.

I guess the problem is that he had 2 bad starts in July which bloated his season stats, and his best month was September so no one realized his value until it was too late?
                            yeah he could have been kept at $2
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This Urquidy situation is actually an interesting one that we may need to/want to address. Since our auction isn't until after the minor league draft, a team can hold onto an Urquidy-type player (assuming he is owned and not dropped during the previous season) until after the minor league draft, and then drop him, which means he wouldn't have been eligible for the minor league draft. Or the team could drop him before the minor league draft, meaning he is eligible for the draft. That gives that team the power to decide, which is kind of strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
                                This Urquidy situation is actually an interesting one that we may need to/want to address. Since our auction isn't until after the minor league draft, a team can hold onto an Urquidy-type player (assuming he is owned and not dropped during the previous season) until after the minor league draft, and then drop him, which means he wouldn't have been eligible for the minor league draft. Or the team could drop him before the minor league draft, meaning he is eligible for the draft. That gives that team the power to decide, which is kind of strange.
                                I agree.

I own Randy Arozarena at $3. He's unlikely to be kept by me unless he looks likely to win a starting spot out of spring training, or another Cleveland OF gets hurt. But I've seen him on some prospect lists this spring, so it's possible someone might have wanted him in the farm draft.

I'm not sure of a rule fix for this, but it seems a bit strange that guys are excluded from farm drafting while unlikely to be kept.
                                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X