No announcement yet.

RJEL Minor League Draft results:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm one of those bucking the trend. I got me a plan, we'll see if it's crazy or not......probably is.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If pitching is that cheap, it is surprising Urquidy went that high. I know he is a proven commodity, but it isn't like he is a stud arm or has a really high ceiling.

Comment

Unsurprisingly there's a variety of opinions here. A couple more things to take into account:

1) Up front, it's true that hitters/hitting prospects are worth a lot more, so if your intent is to take players to trade them, you probably ought to get hitters even if they're slightly less good.

2) Like the NFBC, the league has lineup changes twice a week, on Monday and Friday. Unlike the NFBC, you can also change your pitchers. What this means is that if you have five hitters on your bench, they're probably not playing unless someone gets hurt or you actually make the effort to have players with distinct platoon advantages and swap them in as appropriate. That sounds hard. If you have five pitchers on your bench, they're probably all playing every week. If you have thirteen pitchers, eight SP and five RP, as long as it happens to work out that your SP are split up conveniently you can have four SP and five RP in the first period, then swap out all your SP and have four SP and five RP in the second period. This should mean that all pitchers are more valuable than in a normal league... sort of. Obviously there aren't more pitching points available, but it means that if you have thirteen good pitchers, you can kind of make up for not having top-end SP, but that doesn't really work for closers. Having extra competent SPs is nice, since it means you can more easily reallocate toward closers.

If you assume that I want to have 8-9 decent or better SP, I'm going to end up with a couple Urquidy-equivalents, and a lot of them go in the 5-8 range (last year, guys in that range were Wacha, Weaver, McCullers, Woodruff, Samardzija, Teheran, Newcomb, Gausman, Godley, CAnderson, Eflin, Matz, Minor, Wood, MPerez, TWilliams). So taking Urquidy is giving up on some future top-end value, but buying $6 or so in auction dollars for this year. Is that good? I'm not really sure. Could I trade Corbin Carroll for someone better than Urquidy immediately after the auction? Probably not week 1, and in May I'd have to take whatever the appropriate guy is that one of the few teams that's already dumping has available, so although this plan might be giving up some potential value, it's also a lot easier and has immediate results.

also for what it's worth, FG has Carroll at 99 and Urquidy and 101 and Monte Harrison at 102, so maybe I'll try to trade Harrison right after the auction and let you know how that goes.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I went with a similar strategy to the Urquidy pick last year in an NL only, taking Toukki Touissant with a 1st round pick because he was projected for a rotation spot with a chance at SP3 numbers. It didn't work out too well.

I'm on the no pitching prospects bandwagon at this point. My major league squad is 8 hitters plus $9 Boyd and $3 Jiminez, farm is 15 bats.

I love young pitchers breaking out and becoming cheap aces, but they're so hard to gauge as prospects. But I also see myself taking much riskier picks than I used to, as the entire league shifts towards younger and lower probability upside hitters and away from safe picks.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            But I also see myself taking much riskier picks than I used to, as the entire league shifts towards younger and lower probability upside hitters and away from safe picks.
            Yup. This is where the zig vs. zag exists in RJEL.

Comment

Working...
            X