RJEL Minor League Draft results:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
    This Urquidy situation is actually an interesting one that we may need to/want to address. Since our auction isn't until after the minor league draft, a team can hold onto an Urquidy-type player (assuming he is owned and not dropped during the previous season) until after the minor league draft, and then drop him, which means he wouldn't have been eligible for the minor league draft. Or the team could drop him before the minor league draft, meaning he is eligible for the draft. That gives that team the power to decide, which is kind of strange.
    I demand we address this...….
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      I'm not sure of a rule fix for this, but it seems a bit strange that guys are excluded from farm drafting while unlikely to be kept.
      A few suggestions from an outsider, I'm sure many of them already thought of

Move your keeper deadline up a week.
      Move your milb draft to the previous keeper cut day.
      *potentially* change the eligibility rule to players not on a 40 man roster to change it to a true milb draft. The current mix of first year player draft with guys who are technically still rookies but have spent significant time in mlb makes it a little odd.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I demand we address this...….
        What's the punishment if not? Do you risk egg on your face?

Comment

"I have spoken".

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            What's the punishment if not? Do you risk egg on your face?
            Punishment? A seat between Ken and Hunter, with Scottie behind him whispering in their ear at this years Boxscore draft.

Eggsactly.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Punishment? A seat between Ken and Hunter at this years Boxscore draft.

Eggsactly.
              That's typically Byron's spot, I don't think he'd like you sitting in his lap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                That's typically Byron's spot, I don't think he'd like you sitting in his lap.
                hey--what happens in Vegas.....

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

hey--what happens in Vegas.....
                  .... but you're always in Vegas! Not fair.

Comment

In other leagues I'm in, we run the minors draft after the majors auction and the players available are those who both qualify for rookie status and are unowned.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Really surprising how many picks I'd call reaches are made, and how many guys I like a lot fell. You guys seem to devalue pitchers, and rightly so, but you guys go a little farther than I would. Guys like Skubal, Edward Cabrera, Brailyn Marquez, Jordan Balazovic, Chris Bubic, Clarke Schmidtt, Ethan Hankins, and Shane McClanahan were all good value picks where they went imo. On the hitters side, I like the Hoese pick in the second and Pena right after. Pena is so far away, but if he does well and gets the buzz, he will be a nice trade chip. Could be a poor man's Dominguez gotten much later.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Really surprising how many picks I'd call reaches are made, and how many guys I like a lot fell. You guys seem to devalue pitchers, and rightly so, but you guys go a little farther than I would. Guys like Skubal, Edward Cabrera, Brailyn Marquez, Jordan Balazovic, Chris Bubic, Clarke Schmidtt, Ethan Hankins, and Shane McClanahan were all good value picks where they went imo. On the hitters side, I like the Hoese pick in the second and Pena right after. Pena is so far away, but if he does well and gets the buzz, he will be a nice trade chip. Could be a poor man's Dominguez gotten much later.
                        This is my third year in the league. Still trying to figure it out, but rookie/prospect pitchers do seem to be devalued if you just look at the top 100 lists. I got Skubal and was relatively happy.
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          You guys seem to devalue pitchers, and rightly so, but you guys go a little farther than I would
                          Pitchers were devalued this year more than past. Not sure why but reality is that they have less trade capital than hitters as rebuilders are often (correctly) going the safe path and looking for hitting prospects. Historically the J2 players would not get picked until rounds 4-6 but I think with the recent success stories more owners are dipping into that pool looking for the next big thing. Have no fault with that but the J2 crop is a crap shoot every year and in most cases you don't really know what you have until they start playing full season ball which might not be for a few years.

With 15 minor league slots and 18 owners, the draft goes crazy deep.

Comment

I think that Rick (Big Tymer) is spot on...it's a league of gold miners, not people who tend to play it safe. Always looking for that next Vladdy or Wander, not so much the next #3 starter for the Tigers. And history has shown that pitching is pretty cheap and available in the RJEL...no need to spend much draft capital on it. Add in the fact that arms are so fragile, many of us just prefer to buy them at single digit prices at auction. There are several teams that have ZERO pitching prospects in their 15 player minors...I may be going in that direction myself.

I'll be graduating Luzardo, May Kopech, and maybe Wright, Morejon and Graterol. I probably won't ever get that pitcher heavy again. Out of that list, half have already missed significant time.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm one of those teams with zero minor league pitchers and I may have one pitching keeper, but I'm leaning against.

I look at it like this: RJEL is tough. You have 17 other owners who know everything you know and some probably a good deal more. They are creative and knowledgeable and if there's a curve, many of them are likely ahead of it. There is, however, one thing this league gives you: very cheap pitching. It's cheap at draft. It's cheap with FAAB. They're easy to acquire in the ML draft. If you spend on pitching, or waste too many minor league picks or keeper slots on pitchers, you are unable to take advantage of the single biggest market inefficiency the RJEL has. If you pile up on "value" pitchers, that salary is worth less than half of what it would be worth on a hitter earning the same rotisserie value, because they're harder to trade because the owners devalue them and the format of the league (18-team mixed) means there are always dozens of rosterable pitchers just sitting on the waiver wire every week. It's nearly impossible to trade pitching for hitting during the season. Maybe some elite aces will go for full price, but that's only a few players in the whole pool. However, for one good minor league hitter, you can get a top-flight pitcher quite easily.

And because you're smart and you know all this, you think you should zig when others zag and invest in good pitching, but then you've put all your resources into the most statistically volatile stock which means you've essentially left it all up to luck. That may work when you only have to counter the good luck of nine other owners, but in RJEL, it only takes one hitter-focused roster (out of 17) to have better luck than you and you're titleless.

It's the convention in the league and you buck that at your peril. Thar be sharks in them thar waters.

Comment

Well said!!

Comment

Working...
                                X