Cheating In Baseball.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating In Baseball.

So, the latest scandal about She Bang She Bang is making waves (ripples) through out baseball and lines are being drawn, sides take and it's a familiar refrain we've seen before in another inception/time/age.

In the old days, Steroids allowed players to gain a competitive advantage. They put up stats that allowed their teams to win and themselves to get paid......now cheating/compromising your integrity to get ahead has been around forever in every business/walk of life. But this hit's us (baseball fans) here in the gut--we cling to the hope every player we are a fan of is ethical, works heard and gets a hit every 3 in 7 and his effort and commitment to the game we love contributes eventually to that all elusive championship.

I know the Astros/Red Sox issue has been skirted here for well. I'd say several reasons, but honestly. One.

However I cannot--we should not--ignore the egregious wrong that has been wrought on the sport we love.

The Astros and Red Sox cheated to win . Period. They have sullied the game we love to follow, to watch to enjoy.

They deprived other cities and their fans of the Joy of a championship, players of financial gain and sent some players to retirement because of their failure/their teams failures to succeed.

THIS IS WRONG.

I can tolerate people who make mistakes and admit them, but what's happening right now is NOT that. Apologize you fucking douche bags. Stop making excuses. D Baker--yes your players are going to get thrown at--they deserve it if they won't return their rings, their WS bonuses and any money they got because their stats were inflated by cheating.

Return your rings, return the money and be CONTRITE.

If not, I won't shed a tear when some pitcher you cost in the playoffs puts you out for the year because you, like Carlos Correia, Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman continue to say--we did nothing wrong.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I choose to believe the same. He saw. He followed his conscience and left. I'll believe that until I'm otherwise convinced.

Comment

I agree, I have the utmost respect for him.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm actually looking forward to any retribution dealt out by opposing pitchers this year. And when Bregman, Altuve, Correa, Springer, etc get drilled repeatedly they better just keep their mouths shut and take their base.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

And Carlos Beltran should be kept out of the Hall of Fame. IMHO he's way worse than Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGwire, Rose, & Joe Jackson ever were.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
            And Carlos Beltran should be kept out of the Hall of Fame. IMHO he's way worse than Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGwire, Rose, & Joe Jackson ever were.
            Throwing a game for money is worse than cheating to win. I don’t know if Shoeless Joe was really guilty of doing so, but, if he did, that’s a worse crime than what the Astros did. Similarly, gambling on your own team has significant implications in the betting world, especially on days when you do not bet on your own team. Not as bad as throwing games...but still very problematic.

I haven’t fully processed the taking drugs to get an advantage vs the using electronic equipment to steal signs. And where do amphetamines fall, vs steroids, vs HGH? This is all highly problematic, and while I think knowing pitch and location is a much greater advantage...both are providing an edge that one’s opponents don’t have.
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              ...I can tolerate people who make mistakes and admit them, but what's happening right now is NOT that. Apologize you fucking douche bags. Stop making excuses. D Baker--yes your players are going to get thrown at--they deserve it if they won't return their rings, their WS bonuses and any money they got because their stats were inflated by cheating.

Return your rings, return the money and be CONTRITE.

If not, I won't shed a tear when some pitcher you cost in the playoffs puts you out for the year because you, like Carlos Correia, Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman continue to say--we did nothing wrong. ...
              To whom do they return the money? To whom does the Astros organization return the money earned from the playoff and WS participation? Or increased ticket prices? Or increased attendance revenue? Or increased advertising...concession sales...parking fees...etc? The Astros organization and ownership are not exactly coming across as wholesome...should they not have some sort of financial penalty for the team’s wrongdoing?
              2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                To whom do they return the money? To whom does the Astros organization return the money earned from the playoff and WS participation? Or increased ticket prices? Or increased attendance revenue? Or increased advertising...concession sales...parking fees...etc? The Astros organization and ownership are not exactly coming across as wholesome...should they not have some sort of financial penalty for the team’s wrongdoing?
                How about the minor leaguers general funds, or charity such as RBI?

Comment

Cheating is wrong. In anything, baseball, football, basketball, any sports, anything in general. But also let's not kid ourselves, cheating has been going on in sports for as long as sports has been around. "The Shot Heard round the World" happened because the 1951 Giants stole signs in an eerily similar fashion to the Astros. In baseball you have spitballs, greaseballs, scuffed balls, corked bats, bats loaded with superballs, pine tar, PEDs, greenies, etc. Football, there was Deflategate, Spygate, Spygate II, Bountygate, many more -gates.

I'm glad they got caught, and now they're paying a steep price.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    I agree, we don't see eye to eye on certain things but I have the utmost respect for him.
                    Had there been any doubt, his name has not shown up in the investigation at all.

Which makes me very happy, as well. What he’s done with his career is amazing.
                    Last edited by chancellor; 02-16-2020, 04:19 PM.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Had there been any doubt, his name has not shown up in the investigation at all.

Which makes me very happy, as well. What he’s done with his career is amazing.
                      Which also makes me think that his name should not show up here...maybe the mods should clear the thread and if there's interest, start a new one without any references to said person.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Which also makes me think that his name should not show up here...maybe the mods should clear the thread and if there's interest, start a new one without any references to said person.
                        Agree

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Agreed, and all posts have been edited to remove his name and/or alias here. Sorry fellers.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Agreed, and all posts have been edited to remove his name and/or alias here. Sorry fellers.
                            You missed the last sentence of the initial post...
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              agreed, and all posts have been edited to remove his name and/or alias here. Sorry fellers.
                              thank you
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X