Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 or 10 players in a minor league draft...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 or 10 players in a minor league draft...

Draft season is coming up, and we in the RJEL start on Monday. The top players seem to be in flux, depending on what your feeling is on catchers, or slow footed 1st baseman. So I'm interested to see your top 5 players to draft essentially based on last years amateur draft, and the Latin player signings. No Japanese players are eligible, nor Korean...

So I'm interested in your top 5, or even top 10 players. This could help fill the void a tiny bit from the great 150 lists that we had for quite a while...

And I'll list our draft picks once they get rolling on Monday...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

This is a 1 catcher top 7 (I see a big drop off after the top 7). If you play with two catchers, I could see someone taking Adley Rutschman as high as 4. He looks special--like the best catching prospect since Joe Mauer special--but I can't go higher than that, because all catching prospects are massive risks. It is a testament to how much I like him that I rank him at all. I didn't rank Bart top 10 last year and I have never taken a catcher that I think will stick at catcher in the first round since Joe Mauer.

1.Vaughn
    2. Abrams
    3. Witt
    4. Bleday
    5. Dominguez
    6. Greene
    7. Rutschman

On pure upside, a strong case could be made for Dominguez, and knowing you and your penchant for upside, that is who you would take at the top. But two things scare me about him. 1. I can't remember anyone looking like he did at 16 years old. I know they check closer now, so it is unlikely his age is a lie, but I would not be surprised if he was juicing. I will be looking to see if he deflates now that he is in the minors. 2. He is such a physical specimen--again, show me the kid who looked like him at 16--I worry that some of the hype is biased by his physique and it isn't like there is a lot of projection there. He is already a man playing among boys. Where he needs to grow is at the plate, and his hit tool has a long way to go. Bleday is a lot closer and has less risk, so I have him a spot above. But again, on ceiling, he is the first pick.

Comment

I didn't mention why Vaughn is one, but the simple answer is he is by far the best power hitter available. All hit 1bman never get taken as high as he went. It highlights just how special his bat is.

Comment

I go
        1 Jasson
        2 Witt Jr
        3 CJ
        4 Bleday
        5 Vauhn
        6 Rutschman
        7 Carroll
        I have to go Dominguez #1. Even if you don't like going that young, his potential for trade return is tremendous given the hype around Latin Players. He looks like Man Ram to me. Maybe it is the Horse Roid but in a win now situation I see him bringing back a haul. I push C and 1B down but both Rutschman and Vaughn seem like studs.

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
          I go
          1 Jasson
          2 Witt Jr
          3 CJ
          4 Bleday
          5 Vauhn
          6 Rutschman
          7 Carroll
          I have to go Dominguez #1. Even if you don't like going that young, his potential for trade return is tremendous given the hype around Latin Players. He looks like Man Ram to me. Maybe it is the Horse Roid but in a win now situation I see him bringing back a haul. I push C and 1B down but both Rutschman and Vaughn seem like studs.
          Some surprises to me, but Carroll over Greene may be the biggest. Greene seems to be the superior prep bat, but Carroll does have the speed edge. I always pick the hit tool over the speed, but I get the appeal of speed in roto.

Comment

A name not mentioned yet that I would probably take 8 or 9 before or after Carroll is Baty. I like his bat, but his age is scary, as it is hard to know how much of an edge that gave him against younger competition. As I said, I see more question marks after the top 7, which all seem pretty safe.

Comment

Gotta say that I kind of like Vaughn more than I thought I would. Soon to be MLB ready bat with a position in the majors soon to open up. Add in the fact that 1st base is not nearly as deep as some of the other positions and it makes me think.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I guess I just lean toward the power/speed youngins since you can't develop speed. Sad to say Tigers track record of 1st round hitters did enter my mind. Probably shouldn't though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Some surprises to me, but Carroll over Greene may be the biggest. Greene seems to be the superior prep bat, but Carroll does have the speed edge. I always pick the hit tool over the speed, but I get the appeal of speed in roto.
                  Carroll has speed and a very good hit tool. Hopefully he grows into a little power.

1. Jasson
                  2. Vaughn
                  3. CJ
                  4. Witt
                  5. Adley
                  6. Carroll
                  7. Greene
                  8. Bleday

Comment

I go
                    1 Jasson
                    2 Witt Jr
                    3 CJ
                    4 Bleday
                    5 Vauhn
                    6 Rutschman
                    7 Carroll
                    Yeah, you are probably right on trade value. If considering that, i'd probably take Dominguez 2 behind Vaughn. Vaughn is close and looks like a stud. Dominguez looks special, but I can't help but think something is up with him. It is possible he is a unique physical specimen, but I've just never seen a 16 year old look like him. He physique looks like his is at least a couple of years older or juiced. If he is neither, yeah, anyone who doesn't take him first will likely regret it. The kid is a beast. The ball cracks off his bat like he is a major leaguer.

Comment

I guess I just lean toward the power/speed youngins since you can't develop speed. Sad to say Tigers track record of 1st round hitters did enter my mind. Probably shouldn't though.
                      Is Vidal Brujan available? I picked him up last year based on an old RHD list, and he really jumped up on this years rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                        Is Vidal Brujan available? I picked him up last year based on an old RHD list, and he really jumped up on this years rankings.
                        Limiting choices to last years amateur draft and signing from June 2nd. Brujan was already in the system for a few seasons...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

About 30% of the FG top 120 are available, mostly consisting of first-year guys, catchers, and guys who broke out last year. The only top-50 player who isn't a new addition or a catcher is Deivi Garcia.
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I think it depends on league rules. For example, my main league has a seven-year rule---after seven years, any player who has not been available cannot be kept. For example, Dominguez could not be kept past his age 23 season if he was drafted this year. So, guys closer to the majors go earlier. As noted earlier in the thread, one catcher versus two catchers can make a big difference, too. This year, in my league (where the Wander Franco's of the world are all already kept), I see a bit of a glob for the top 8-10. Mostly the same guys listed here in no particular order.

Comment

Working...
                            X