Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Clevinger: Knee Surgery (2/14)

of course these times are for mere mortals with regular physio ... still, it's horrible news for owners ... and for cleveland fans ... and for clevinger ...

Hall of Famer
    I recall Chipper Jones being back in a few weeks after a minor meniscus surgery in his final season. (That was the injury he suffered when he slipped coming off the field to go to the press conference announcing that he was retiring after the season because his body couldn't take it anymore, lol.) I wonder what the difference is.

Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    I recall Chipper Jones being back in a few weeks after a minor meniscus surgery in his final season. (That was the injury he suffered when he slipped coming off the field to go to the press conference announcing that he was retiring after the season because his body couldn't take it anymore, lol.) I wonder what the difference is.
    Cleaning up fraying or trimming is usually a quick recovery. Smaller repair, a little longer. Major repair, longer yet. As TranaGreg noted, recovery times for premier athletes with access to virtually best-in-world medical facilities and doctors is much better than us mere mortals. But this does sound like the most extensive type of repair from what's written.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    Cleaning up fraying or trimming is usually a quick recovery. Smaller repair, a little longer. Major repair, longer yet. As TranaGreg noted, recovery times for premier athletes with access to virtually best-in-world medical facilities and doctors is much better than us mere mortals. But this does sound like the most extensive type of repair from what's written.
    Ouch.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Pauly's Avatar
    Clevinger is expected to be able to return to action in six to eight weeks, the team tells reporters including MLB.com’s Mandy Bell

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Big Tymer's Avatar
    Have had both kinds of repair. Once you get late 20s, the meniscus won't heal so suturing isn't an option. I tore my lateral meniscus first in HS and they basically sewed it back together. This is the kind of repair that takes 3-6 months and lots of rehab. Once you get older, they just cut away the torn piece and you're walking the next day more or less. 3-4 weeks light running and then improves from there. Sounds like this is what he's doing which speeds up recovery greatly.

Hall of Famer
    So, he's able to return to action a little after opening day, and then has to more or less do spring training, so maybe around the start of May?

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Big Tymer's Avatar
    It’s his plant leg so they may be cautious just to avoid compensation injury. Mid May likely safe, late April likely best case

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tymer View Post
    It’s his plant leg so they may be cautious just to avoid compensation injury. Mid May likely safe, late April likely best case
    Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by TranaGreg View Post
    of course these times are for mere mortals with regular physio ... still, it's horrible news for owners ... and for cleveland fans ... and for clevinger ...
    It could be worse for Clevinger. He could be a Mets pitcher, and they'd be scheduling him for shoulder surgery.
    I'm just here for the baseball.