Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: FanGraphs Top 100 Prospects: Franco 1st 80 FV

  1. #11
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Ok Mr. Braves fan. Let's do right by the OP. Franco--better career than Acuna, yay or nay? Unfair to compare a prospect to a proven super star, but 80 FV and all. The glowing reports compel the comps for dynasty leagues.
    I would take Acuna in a heartbeat. Franco has never played above A advanced, and his numbers are not crazy in speed or power.

  2. #12
    Triple-A SlideRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Ok Mr. Braves fan. Let's do right by the OP. Franco--better career than Acuna, yay or nay? Unfair to compare a prospect to a proven super star, but 80 FV and all. The glowing reports compel the comps for dynasty leagues.
    I mean at this point given what weve already seen for Acuna itd be downright foolish to predict a better career for probably anyone else I can think of. So Ill say Acuna. BUT! it would lol be fun to see how close Franco can get to that level.

  3. #13
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,180
    Quote Originally Posted by kldub4life View Post
    FanGraphs posted their Top 100 Prospect List this morning and Wander Franco is the first Future Value 80 prospect ever!

    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-top-100-prospects/
    Thanks for posting, I was waiting for this. I wish BA wasn't behind a paywall, I used to love to read their list.

  4. #14
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,237
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Thanks for posting, I was waiting for this. I wish BA wasn't behind a paywall, I used to love to read their list.
    I disagree....

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Ok Mr. Braves fan. Let's do right by the OP. Franco--better career than Acuna, yay or nay? Unfair to compare a prospect to a proven super star, but 80 FV and all. The glowing reports compel the comps for dynasty leagues.
    Why does nobody believe I enjoy a good thread hijack? I have done them myself many times. Tough crowd. I thought you were old school enough to remember that, which means, like me, you aren't young, lol.

    No idea who has the better career. Acuna is the probability pick; he's performed at the highest level at a silly young age (and probably would have a year younger (talent is talent), but the Braves sucked that year so no reason to bring him up a year early like the Nats did with Soto), but Franco is scary good. My guess is that Acuna is easily the better fantasy player but Franco could beat him in WAR---as a middle IF he'll get more on defense and the HR and SB that Acuna will bust him in for fantasy don't help in WAR as much as Franco's likely OBP advantage. But, if both stay healthy and don't have a weird downturn in production (much more likely for Franco---he's only made it to A+, but if he is as good as advertised, he'll be up in 2020; the Rays are good and some talent won't let you wait), why bother quibbling over inner-circle HOFers?

  6. #16
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I disagree....
    hey !....

  7. #17
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,180
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    Why does nobody believe I enjoy a good thread hijack? I have done them myself many times. Tough crowd. I thought you were old school enough to remember that, which means, like me, you aren't young, lol.

    No idea who has the better career. Acuna is the probability pick; he's performed at the highest level at a silly young age (and probably would have a year younger (talent is talent), but the Braves sucked that year so no reason to bring him up a year early like the Nats did with Soto), but Franco is scary good. My guess is that Acuna is easily the better fantasy player but Franco could beat him in WAR---as a middle IF he'll get more on defense and the HR and SB that Acuna will bust him in for fantasy don't help in WAR as much as Franco's likely OBP advantage. But, if both stay healthy and don't have a weird downturn in production (much more likely for Franco---he's only made it to A+, but if he is as good as advertised, he'll be up in 2020; the Rays are good and some talent won't let you wait), why bother quibbling over inner-circle HOFers?
    Hijacking is not a problem....so here goes. How could anyone say the Nats braught up Soto a year early ? He was amazing and ready and put up great numbers. Unless you are looking from an ownership perspective.

  8. #18
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,055
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Hijacking is not a problem....so here goes. How could anyone say the Nats braught up Soto a year early ? He was amazing and ready and put up great numbers. Unless you are looking from an ownership perspective.
    Poor language on my part. My point it was a year earlier than Acuna---who was destroying the minors when Soto was called up. The only reason one was up and the other wasn't was because the positions in the standings. Like I said, some talent won't wait. But if you aren't actually trying to win MLB games, it will wait, lol.

  9. #19
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,180
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    Poor language on my part. My point it was a year earlier than Acuna---who was destroying the minors when Soto was called up. The only reason one was up and the other wasn't was because the positions in the standings. Like I said, some talent won't wait. But if you aren't actually trying to win MLB games, it will wait, lol.
    both amazing talents, as is Franco. Will be interesting to see how Franco compares in a few years

  10. #20
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,237
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    Poor language on my part. My point it was a year earlier than Acuna---who was destroying the minors when Soto was called up. The only reason one was up and the other wasn't was because the positions in the standings. Like I said, some talent won't wait. But if you aren't actually trying to win MLB games, it will wait, lol.
    That's not accurate.

    The Nats were able to bring Soto up quickly with confidence due to his maturity at the plate. He walked more than he struck out at his last two stops in the minors in fact. That kind of profile is extremely successful in transitioning to the bigs.

    Acuna, while a superstar, does not have the same skillset. In fact, it's almost polar opposite. His 25% K rate prevented the Braves from having that assurance that Acuna would transition smoothly. So moving slightly slower made sense. In retrospect, it worked, and quite well. But it's not really useful to compare the two as prospects, they are quite different.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •