Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: FanGraphs Top 100 Prospects: Franco 1st 80 FV

  1. #21
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    That's not accurate.

    The Nats were able to bring Soto up quickly with confidence due to his maturity at the plate. He walked more than he struck out at his last two stops in the minors in fact. That kind of profile is extremely successful in transitioning to the bigs.

    Acuna, while a superstar, does not have the same skillset. In fact, it's almost polar opposite. His 25% K rate prevented the Braves from having that assurance that Acuna would transition smoothly. So moving slightly slower made sense. In retrospect, it worked, and quite well. But it's not really useful to compare the two as prospects, they are quite different.
    I disagree

  2. #22
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    6,343
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    Why does nobody believe I enjoy a good thread hijack? I have done them myself many times. Tough crowd. I thought you were old school enough to remember that, which means, like me, you aren't young, lol.

    No idea who has the better career. Acuna is the probability pick; he's performed at the highest level at a silly young age (and probably would have a year younger (talent is talent), but the Braves sucked that year so no reason to bring him up a year early like the Nats did with Soto), but Franco is scary good. My guess is that Acuna is easily the better fantasy player but Franco could beat him in WAR---as a middle IF he'll get more on defense and the HR and SB that Acuna will bust him in for fantasy don't help in WAR as much as Franco's likely OBP advantage. But, if both stay healthy and don't have a weird downturn in production (much more likely for Franco---he's only made it to A+, but if he is as good as advertised, he'll be up in 2020; the Rays are good and some talent won't let you wait), why bother quibbling over inner-circle HOFers?
    Ha, no, I knew it was sincere praise for a hijack well done, but I still felt a little bad no one was talking about Franco's near unprecedented hype . He deserves the same crazy amount of discussion as Vlad Jr did.

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    That's not accurate.

    The Nats were able to bring Soto up quickly with confidence due to his maturity at the plate. He walked more than he struck out at his last two stops in the minors in fact. That kind of profile is extremely successful in transitioning to the bigs.

    Acuna, while a superstar, does not have the same skillset. In fact, it's almost polar opposite. His 25% K rate prevented the Braves from having that assurance that Acuna would transition smoothly. So moving slightly slower made sense. In retrospect, it worked, and quite well. But it's not really useful to compare the two as prospects, they are quite different.
    I disagree, mostly. They are certainly different types of prospects and skillsets. That being said, at the same again, in AA (counting stuff below AA is questionable due to the wildly poorer and more variable quality of pitching) Acuna had a BB rate of 7.4% with a K rate of 23.0%. Soto had (in admittedly a ridiculously small sample size) a BB rate of 11.0% and a K rate of 20.0% (which he has freakishly matched exactly in the majors in both 2018 and 2019). What the Nats had was severe injury issues in the OF and a crazy good prospect, so they rolled the dice, and it came out great. I don't think the Braves would have done anything differently with Acuna than the Nats did with Soto if they had been in the same situation.

  4. #24
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,237
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    I disagree, mostly. They are certainly different types of prospects and skillsets. That being said, at the same again, in AA (counting stuff below AA is questionable due to the wildly poorer and more variable quality of pitching) Acuna had a BB rate of 7.4% with a K rate of 23.0%. Soto had (in admittedly a ridiculously small sample size) a BB rate of 11.0% and a K rate of 20.0% (which he has freakishly matched exactly in the majors in both 2018 and 2019). What the Nats had was severe injury issues in the OF and a crazy good prospect, so they rolled the dice, and it came out great. I don't think the Braves would have done anything differently with Acuna than the Nats did with Soto if they had been in the same situation.
    You just made an argument based on an 8 game sample size? C'mon man, are you just arguing to argue at this point? You're smarter than this.

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You just made an argument based on an 8 game sample size? C'mon man, are you just arguing to argue at this point? You're smarter than this.
    And if you're ignoring that 8-game sample size, your entire argument is based on A-ball numbers--they didn't bring him "up quickly with confidence" based on A-ball numbers. No way the Nats brought him up at that point without having to take a stab in the dark due to injuries. Otherwise, teams would bring prospects up from A-ball all the time if they have good BB/K numbers. Does not happen. You must be smarter than to make that argument.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •