12 team NL Only Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 team NL Only Keepers

I was happy with my keeper list, then suddenly lost a $5 Margot and a $5 Verdugo, and I have to re-evaluate.

Standard 5x5, 12 team NL only with 2 catchers.

Definites:

Hampson $5a
    JD Davis $4b
    Schwarber $15x
    Eaton $16b
    Paddack $21b
    Hader $13c ($13 or $18)
    Melancon $1

Other options:

Story $39b
    W. Ramos $9c ($9x)
    Samardzija $2b
    R. Quinn $4b
    D. Pomeranz $1b
    R. Wick $1b

Story and Ramos are likely slightly underpaid. Shark had a very lucky 2019, and I might prefer to let someone else overpay for him at auction on that basis than roll the dice on a repeat.

Man, losing Margot and Verdugo really hurt the backend of my list.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Not sure that those 2 are such big losses really. I wouldn't feel too bad about them.

Story and Ramos for sure. Wick is interesting, he may well be in line for several saves this year. If you want to use another roster spot, maybe Pomeranz altho personally I wouldn't. If Eaton has trade value in your league at $16 I would see what you could get. He is a borderline keeper for me, not a definite.

Comment

In order of players I'd add to your list:

1. Ramos - Really like him for 9 as your #1 C. Provides 15 HR pop with a solid .280 - .295 BA and decent R/RBI counting stats.
      2. Wick - I have little faith in Kimbrel at this point, and I have a high degree of confidence Wick gets the next shot.
      3. Story - He's at a fair value, not a lot of profit, but depending on inflation/keeper lists, he's a worthy keep. He's pretty well solidly proven for two years running that he'll get you about 200 R+RBI, 30+ HR and 20+ SBs and a decent BA.
      4. Pomeranz - He was stupid good out of the bullpen, will likely get you very high quality ratios with 90-100 Ks. IF you're looking for that type of MR to stabilize your ratios and not hurt you, he's as likely as any. And he's only a buck.

Other comments:
      1. I would not extend Hader. He'll give you shiny WHIP and K rates, but his ERA is good and not great unless that slider gets fully developed. Plus, Knebel comes back this year, and Counsell may move Hader back to periodic multi-inning saves and high leverage work, with Knebel picking up a chunk of more conventional saves. Depends on how Knebel looks as the season develops, but Hader comes with saves risk if you're counting on him for that. Love him at 13, but 18 for this year and next seems pricey to me.
      2. I think you're good with Eaton for one more year. The SBs held last year, but he's showing signs of some speed deterioration.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        I was happy with my keeper list, then suddenly lost a $5 Margot and a $5 Verdugo, and I have to re-evaluate.

Definites:

Hampson $5a
        JD Davis $4b
        Schwarber $15x
        Eaton $16b
        Paddack $21b
        Hader $13c ($13 or $18)
        Melancon $1

Other options:

Story $39b
        W. Ramos $9c ($9x)
        Samardzija $2b
        R. Quinn $4b
        D. Pomeranz $1b
        R. Wick $1b

Story and Ramos are likely slightly underpaid. Shark had a very lucky 2019, and I might prefer to let someone else overpay for him at auction on that basis than roll the dice on a repeat.

Man, losing Margot and Verdugo really hurt the backend of my list.
        How many keepers do you get?

Story and Ramos would be the two I would add to replace Margot and Verdugo.

Story is a good value for the stats. Nice to have one top 10 catcher going in.

Comment

agreed as well on keeping Story, Ramos, and Eaton (and all your definites). was prepared to push back on the Story price but - damn, that's not far above uninflated level and he was IL for 2 weeks last year.

can you find a new home for Jeff S? I have him for a buck, but I too am hiding under the bed when I freeze him. he'll get some Ws and Ks, and for 2 I'd keep. you just won't be getting another big season.

I wouldn't extend Hader, either.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Story went for 59 in our NL only 5x5 12 team $260 budget.

The owner is trying to trade him so he will be back in. He most certainly will go over $39.

I believe one of the sites I was on had him at $36 for a 12 team NL only no inflation. You should be good to go.

Comment

losing Margot is a plus. Verdugo hurts but knowing the Dodgers, he wouldnt get every day at bats

I would keep

Hampson $5a
              JD Davis $4b
              Schwarber $15x
              Eaton $16b
              Paddack $21b
              Hader $13c ($13 or $18)
              Melancon $1 (if closing)
              Story $39b
              W. Ramos $9c ($9x)
              R. Quinn $4b (if starting)

Quinn has elite speed and while I know the injury history and lack of performance thus far, he can be a difference maker with speed being scarce.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I agree with the consensus that Ramos and Story are the guys. I would also be tempted to keep Wick over Hampson, but I am as low on him as you are high, so I know you won't do that. And really, Wick is pretty iffy anyway, but I had to try to find someone to note how I think Hampson is a bust, and well, someone else liked him, so, Wick it is.

I do agree with you about Montas, however, which I can now say since I have now traded for him in both of my keeper leagues. (Yes, revo, you said the magic word; I may or may not keep Baez.)

Comment

I would definitely keep Story, no question. I am favorable towards Pomeranz, who was devastatingly good coming out of Milwaukee’s bullpen, and am coming around on Wick winding up with 5-10 saves, with upside for 20+. Finally, I like Ramos at $9, as he’s highly undervalued at that price, and should put up another mid-teens season.
                  2021 Auction Anatomy
                  2021 Keeper Decisions
                  2020 Auction Anatomy
                  2020 Pre-Auction
                  2015 Auction Anatomy
                  2014 Auction Anatomy
                  2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                  RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    In order of players I'd add to your list:
                    2. Wick - I have little faith in Kimbrel at this point, and I have a high degree of confidence Wick gets the next shot.
                    I get it, Kimbrel was a disaster last year, and because of that, Wick is a nice speculative end gamer. But I wouldn't rank him as a keeper over Story, who is a sure thing stud. Kimbrel has the contract and will be given every shot to hold that job. He will have a full ST and is still throwing close to 97 mph. He dealt with nagging injuries last year. Could he implode again? Sure. But I'm betting on a comeback. Not to 2015 Kimbrel, but back to good enough to keep the job, get the majority of the saves, and a bunch of Ks.

Comment

And yeah, keep Story and Ramos.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        I get it, Kimbrel was a disaster last year, and because of that, Wick is a nice speculative end gamer. But I wouldn't rank him as a keeper over Story, who is a sure thing stud. Kimbrel has the contract and will be given every shot to hold that job. He will have a full ST and is still throwing close to 97 mph. He dealt with nagging injuries last year. Could he implode again? Sure. But I'm betting on a comeback. Not to 2015 Kimbrel, but back to good enough to keep the job, get the majority of the saves, and a bunch of Ks.
                        I looked at it from profit potential instead of net value. Plus, if inflation is high in their league, Story would absolutely be a great keep. That said, I have the opposite view on Kimbrel from you - I think it'll be bad. His stuff simply isn't good enough anymore to support the 4.5 - 5.2 BB/9 he's hung up three of the last four years, he's a flyball RP trying to survive in Wrigley, and his curve is deteriorating.

But...that's one of the things that make this game fun. We'll see who gets to dunk on who in September.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                        X