No announcement yet.

Official RJ Mock Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So are closers being devalued in this draft because the position has just gotten too dicey.....or is there a more sinister reason?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      So are closers being devalued in this draft because the position has just gotten too dicey.....or is there a more sinister reason?
      Saves are so volatile, nowadays...especially when drafting this early. It's hard to spend an early round pick on a closer that may finish with 15 or fewer saves, unless the pitching upside makes the risk worthwhile. And, with the points structure of this league, since the scoring is more about points that actual categories, the risk-reward trade off makes it far less attractive to gamble on saves with early picks.
      2021 Auction Anatomy
      2021 Keeper Decisions
      2020 Auction Anatomy
      2020 Pre-Auction
      2015 Auction Anatomy
      2014 Auction Anatomy
      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• I like my team so far
        so there

not sure if taking Realmuto earlyish will pay off though.

I now need the least crappy 2baseman
        some power guys
        and a guess at pitching

Comment

So are closers being devalued in this draft because the position has just gotten too dicey.....or is there a more sinister reason?
          It's been mentioned a few times that they don't get enough points to be worth drafting.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
            Saves are so volatile, nowadays...especially when drafting this early. It's hard to spend an early round pick on a closer that may finish with 15 or fewer saves, unless the pitching upside makes the risk worthwhile. And, with the points structure of this league, since the scoring is more about points that actual categories, the risk-reward trade off makes it far less attractive to gamble on saves with early picks.
            Agreed the points format seems to downgrade closers.

Comment

• Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
              Agreed the points format seems to downgrade closers.
              At the upper, upper end of SPs, or at the lower end or RPs, it absolutely does. My team is kind of banking on middle tier RPs being a bit more dependable and actually scoring well. I will admit, though, the ceiling on an RP is going to be lower in most cases. Giolito put up 497 last year which would have made him even with Hader as the best RP.

Last year's actual point totals:
              Hader 497, Yates 450, Hendriks 421, W Smith 419, Osuna 402, Chapman 401, Hand 385, Vazquez 379, Jansen 370, Iglesias 369, T Rogers 366

Compare that with some starters in that range:
              Grienke 497, Giolito 497, S Gray 458, MadBum 418, Paxton 403, Wheeler 400 (Wheeler was the 29th highest SP last year at 400), Soroka 378, Maeda 376, K Hendricks 355

Still, if the scoring system actually does what Fantrax says what it does and equates SP and RP equally (which I don't necessarily think it does...) then RP10 should be a better value than SP50 at the same pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
                I doubt it would be the same results today as things are changing, and how much credibility do you want to place on CBS data?
                Do you have data showing it? Because we guessed last time and the only data available showed that roto was still king. Claiming that CBS data was just wrong is silly. If nothing other than guessing, I'll assume that it's still a bad guess.

I just went to a league finder service forum and looked at the front page, and I'm seeing 12 roto, 4 H2H, 4 points leagues.

NFBC, which is extremely popular now, is roto based.

On fantrax grabbing the next 2 weeks of drafts I see 35 roto, 15 points, 50 H2H.

Looking at posts on this forum, I think we have 2 or 3 guys that play points leagues, the rest of us are majority roto.

In sum, it's still a roto game. There are certainly points leagues out there. It's common to see the "new" thing and assume it is taking over, but in reality, this is a roto game.
                Last edited by Ken; 02-27-2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Do you have data showing it? Because we guessed last time and the only data available showed that roto was still king. Claiming that CBS data was just wrong is silly. If nothing other than guessing, I'll assume that it's still a bad guess.

I just went to a league finder service forum and look at the front page, and I'm seeing 12 roto, 4 H2H, 4 points leagues.

NFBC, which is extremely popular now, is roto based.

On fantrax grabbing the next 2 weeks of drafts I see 35 roto, 15 points, 50 H2H.

Looking at posts on this forum, I think we have 2 or 3 guys that play points leagues, the rest of us are majority roto.

In sum, it's still a roto game. There are certainly points leagues out there. It's common to see the "new" thing and assume it is taking over, but in reality, this is a roto game.
                  Every one of the H2H on Fantrax that I see is points based, so to me that changes the tally to 35 roto and 65 points.

Comment

Every one of the H2H on Fantrax that I see is points based, so to me that changes the tally to 35 roto and 65 points.
                    You're up, by the way

Comment

I don't think equating a year long points league with H2H is useful. Those are different beasts. H2H is its own thing. It's people who like fantasy football trying to play baseball.

But regardless, you ignored the rest of the data? Okay....

Comment

• Seems like you're getting into personal slams now and I don't see the need for that nor do I want to go there.

i don't agree with you, you don't agree with me. Good enough.

Comment

Seems like you're getting into personal slams now and I don't see the need for that nor do I want to go there.

i don't agree with you, you don't agree with me. Good enough.
                          Huh? What personal slams? Just a normal discussion. You attacked one point of the argument and I asked why you ignored the rest? That's a personal slam? Wow, we've gotten reallllly sensitive here if you can't even break down a rebuttal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            It's been mentioned a few times that they don't get enough points to be worth drafting.
                            It appears to have been a mistake to make this a BestBall league using points. Despite the fact we asked everyone to draft as they would in a normal roto league, it didn't quite work out that way. Oh well.

Comment

It appears to have been a mistake to make this a BestBall league using points. Despite the fact we asked everyone to draft as they would in a normal roto league, it didn't quite work out that way. Oh well.
                              oh well
                              still fun and useful drafting

Comment

• I thought about Realmuto early but decided the comparative advantage wasn't large enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X