Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best keeper options?

Hall of Famer
    I disagree about Aquino. I don't think he gets or keeps playing time. Too many holes in his swing, way too many K's, and way too many OF on Cincy's roster.

Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Look good how? He's not that great of a fantasy asset at this point. He was worth around $10 in this type format last year.
    From CBS:
    Corey Seager, despite coming back off both elbow and hip injuries, was still an above-average offensive producer in 2019. Yet, the level of production, especially with the 2019 baseball, was disappointing for fantasy owners. In hindsight, expectations really should have been lowered for someone coming off two major surgeries as Seager was. The splits show a guy that still inflicts damage against righties, but has had struggles against lefties in both the abbreviated 2018 season as well as this past season. His Statcast data also shows a step back from the quality of contact baseline that he established from 2015 through 2017 with some particular struggles against breaking balls. The great thing here is that 2019 is a very attractive floor to what this talented hitter can do for your roster. Seager, when healthy, is going to be very productive and presents a solid value for those not suffering from recency bias.
    Bearin' up!

Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post
    From CBS:
    Corey Seager, despite coming back off both elbow and hip injuries, was still an above-average offensive producer in 2019. Yet, the level of production, especially with the 2019 baseball, was disappointing for fantasy owners. In hindsight, expectations really should have been lowered for someone coming off two major surgeries as Seager was. The splits show a guy that still inflicts damage against righties, but has had struggles against lefties in both the abbreviated 2018 season as well as this past season. His Statcast data also shows a step back from the quality of contact baseline that he established from 2015 through 2017 with some particular struggles against breaking balls. The great thing here is that 2019 is a very attractive floor to what this talented hitter can do for your roster. Seager, when healthy, is going to be very productive and presents a solid value for those not suffering from recency bias.
    I get that, but he's simply not a great fantasy asset. He's okay. He's the 18th SS off the board by ADP this year. If you are in a mixed league that means he's a MI type.

His main problem is that in a league deep in SS where everyone can hit with power, he doesn't run.

Triple-A
    Isn't it a bit shortsighted to look at the worst years he has had, where he was battling serious injury, and determine that he is not worthy of keeping? Talent, as you well know, will always win out, and the kid has that. What is so far-fetched about the idea that he may actually get back to where he was pre-injury? Agreed, don't spend a fortune on him at draft, but what Erik is looking at as a keeper is not crazy money.
    Bearin' up!

Hall of Famer
    Here, I agree with Ken. Seager's problem isn't that he won't get back to where he was (he might, he might not, but that's priced in), it's just that his talents don't translate to fantasy as well as others.

Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post
    Isn't it a bit shortsighted to look at the worst years he has had, where he was battling serious injury, and determine that he is not worthy of keeping? Talent, as you well know, will always win out, and the kid has that. What is so far-fetched about the idea that he may actually get back to where he was pre-injury? Agreed, don't spend a fortune on him at draft, but what Erik is looking at as a keeper is not crazy money.
    If we go back to his numbers pre-injury, say his 2016 season where he was 3rd in MVP and played a full year, and apply them to a 17 team mixed with 2020 projections for other players and the categories described for this league we get a $15-$16 player. And that's probably optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    2C or 1C? If 1C, Garver is definitely out. Given the format, I would go for upside, which, given the SB-CS, is a little light on your choices (your two obvious ones are obvious, lol, they are the great ones). I'd go Pham definitely, and Urias and Robles because of upside, but the others don't seem super special and don't stand out from each other. Rogers maybe, since he has the job on a good team. (Of course, if you aren't planning on contending, he's less of a choice since the shelf life of a closer like him is very short.).
    Thanks, I should have clarified lineups. It's 1 C.

I never go into a season not planning on contending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Hall of Famer
    Okay. Then Garver is out. No need to keep a catcher in a 1 C 17-team mixed equivalent, unless all the good catchers are not on the teams in it. In that situation, I would go with Urias, Pham, Robles, and Rogers. Not sure about the fifth.

The Twins will be in the draft pool, so I will be able to try to redraft Garver if I throw him back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.