X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wacky new MLB playoff format is on the table

Joel Sherman
    @Joelsherman1
    https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/mlb-pl...lity-tv-twist/ EXCLUSIVE: MLB is planning a radical change to their postseason perhaps by 2022, hoping to move from 5 to 7 teams in each league and -- get this -- have the teams with the best records pick their playoff opponents.

"The plan is to have this all play out on a show on the Sunday night the regular season ends and have representatives picking teams on live TV — think the NCAA selection show, but just with the teams making the selections. The rights to that show is part of the enticement to potential TV partners."
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

I hope this is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
      I hope this is a joke.
      Most marketing campaigns have that phrase attached at some point.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Hm. I wonder how their bracket works. If the top seed gets a bye in Round 1 (7 teams indicate this is the case) and they choose a team that barely squeaked in, say the 7th seed, does that mean the 7th seed survives the first round of elims simply by virtue of being chosen as top-seed victim? Seems weird.

Edit to add: Okay, now I've read the whole piece. I get what they're doing. Still seems weird. I doubt it would break anything.

Comment

I like the 7 teams from each league playoff format and one team hosting all 3 games of a wild card series. But, the pick-your-own-opponent-on-a-TV-show part really sounds stupid. Just do it the same way as other sports with the highest seed vs the lowest seed. There is really no need to reinvent the wheel here.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

They still need to add a new team to balance the leagues.

Comment

Trevor Bauer is right.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Trevor Bauer is right.
                Yep..

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I think I'll vote for the changes if only cuz douchebag is a way too nice word to describe Bauer.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                    They still need to add a new team to balance the leagues.
                    Then it will unbalance the divisions. Right now they all have 5 teams. Unless they copy the NFL format and go with 4 divisions of 4 teams, give 2 of 6 playoff teams from each league a bye week and have 2 wild card series in each league.

Expansion is coming. It's probably only a few years away. I'm betting that Portland, Oregon gets a franchise.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

It’ll be interesting to see. The two logical places are Portland and Charlotte. But I suspect Seattle and Atlanta will fight both of them like crazy. And I really doubt MLB will do anything until it can sort out the Tampa Bay/Montreal debacle that’s going on
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                      X