2k20: Miles Mikolas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k20: Miles Mikolas

Don't fall asleep on me yet! I know he's not the most exciting guy!

2018: 200 IP, 18-4, 2.83 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 146 K ... 3.28 FIP/3.67 xFIP... 6.6 K/9, 1.3 BB/9, 0.72 HR/9, 18.1% K rate, 9.6% SwStr%, .279 BABIP, 9.2% HR/FB
    2019: 184 IP, 9-14, 4.16 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 144 K ... 4.27 FIP/3.18 xFIP... 7.0 K/9, 1.6 BB/9, 1.32 HR/9, 18.9% K rate, 9.6% SwStr%, .302 BABIP, 16.1% HR/FB

Steamer: 192 IP, 11-11, 4.20 ERA, 1.25 WHIP 153 K

Clearly the bouncy ball didn't agree with him, and if I had to guess I would say 2019 is pretty much a dead ringer for what we can expect. Maybe a few more wins if the Cards hit better.

I was hoping there was more here... but anything I would see would just be grasping at straws. Hey, look at that 1H/2H BABIP split (.327 and .281)! Hey, look at that 0.81 BB/9 in the 2nd half! Hey, look at those K numbers for August/September (29 K/28 IP in Aug, 25 K/29 IP in Sept)!

Anyone else find him more exciting?

As someone who plays in a points league that strongly rewards Ks, I have a bias against pitchers like him. But my bias is also a concern that extends into roto, because pitchers who get by with lower K rates have less margin for error and are more dependent on fielding and luck than those with dominant stuff. Yes, the rising K rate late is interesting, and yes, he has value as a quality inning eater on a good team. But he isn't my cup of tea, as I think the downside is steeper than the upside. I think Steamer's projections represent the upside, save, perhaps, for a few more wins.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-10-2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Yeah, my thinking is pretty much along the same lines. He’s just a hittable pitcher with an average defense behind him. On the plus side, he has a pretty solid floor. So if you’re K strong but need a solid WHIP, he might have use in a deeper league
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

He killed me last year in my 16tm redraft.

You kind of don't realize it until it hits you in the face, but pitchers like him can cost you 50-75 Ks if you keep them on your roster all season long. When you combine the fact he didn't win as much as '18 and his ERA & WHIP skyrocketed, he was a net negative.

I'd rather just sub in middle relievers or go for a high K% disappointment like a Chris Archer or German Marquez.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          He killed me last year in my 16tm redraft.

You kind of don't realize it until it hits you in the face, but pitchers like him can cost you 50-75 Ks if you keep them on your roster all season long. When you combine the fact he didn't win as much as '18 and his ERA & WHIP skyrocketed, he was a net negative.

I'd rather just sub in middle relievers or go for a high K% disappointment like a Chris Archer or German Marquez.
          Yeah, I have him as a pretty cheap keeper, but the more I look at it, the less excited I actually am. He can be a good staff filler if you need stability. But his K/9 is sooo low. There are guys who can throw 200 innings and strike out 170 and it's not too bad. But 144 Ks? Ouch.

Comment

Injured going into camp, he'll be resting 3-4 weeks which means he won't be ready to start the season. He was already way down my board, and now he's off it entirely. Welcome to the do not draft list Miles!

Comment

Working...
            X