The RJ 1000: The top 1000 rock classics of all time Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    In Bloom is my favorite Nirvana song. Nice pick!
    Thanks...another pick forced once the other two on my list were taken.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Paul McCartney wrote it because someone had the audacity to claim that other bands made heavier music than they did.
      Yep- This from the July 18, 2018 Current:

Today in 1968, working at Abbey Road studios, The Beatles recorded "Helter Skelter." Paul McCartney had read a magazine interview with Pete Townshend where the Who guitarist described their latest single, "I Can See For Miles," as the loudest, dirtiest, most aggressive song possible; when McCartney heard it, he thought Townshend had exaggerated considerably, and decided he'd take on the challenge of writing such a song. "Helter Skelter" was the result. The Beatles did so many takes in the studio - at one point recording a 20-plus-minute version during the session - that Ringo exclaimed, "I've got blisters on me fingers!", which can still be heard in the version that was ultimately put on The White Album.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Yep- This from the July 18, 2018 Current:

Today in 1968, working at Abbey Road studios, The Beatles recorded "Helter Skelter." Paul McCartney had read a magazine interview with Pete Townshend where the Who guitarist described their latest single, "I Can See For Miles," as the loudest, dirtiest, most aggressive song possible; when McCartney heard it, he thought Townshend had exaggerated considerably, and decided he'd take on the challenge of writing such a song. "Helter Skelter" was the result. The Beatles did so many takes in the studio - at one point recording a 20-plus-minute version during the session - that Ringo exclaimed, "I've got blisters on me fingers!", which can still be heard in the version that was ultimately put on The White Album.
        Wow, I'd always thought that was John screaming about blisters.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Wow, I'd always thought that was John screaming about blisters.
          Me too!

Comment

• That wasn’t a joke put-on: his hands were actually bleeding at the end of the take, he’d been drumming so ferociously. We did work very hard on that track....

Recording

The song was recorded many times during sessions for the White Album. During the 18 July 1968 sessions, the Beatles recorded a version of the song lasting 27 minutes and 11 seconds, although this version is rather slow and hypnotic, differing greatly from the volume and rawness of the album version. Another recording from the same day, originally 12 minutes long, was edited down to 4:37 for Anthology 3. On 9 September, 18 takes of approximately five minutes each were recorded, and the last one is featured on the original LP. After the 18th take, Ringo Starr flung his drum sticks across the studio and screamed, “I got blisters on my fingers!” Starr’s shout was included on the stereo mix of the song. At around 3:40, the song almost fades out, then quickly fades back in with three cymbal crashes and Ringo’s scream (some sources erroneously credit the “blisters” line to Lennon; in fact, Lennon can be heard asking “How’s that?” before Ringo’s outburst). The mono version (originally on LP only) ends on the first fadeout without Starr’s outburst. The mono version was not initially available in the US as mono albums had already been phased out there. The mono version was later released in the American version of the Rarities album. In 2009, it was made available on the CD mono re-issue of the White Album as part of the Beatles in Mono CD box set.

According to Chris Thomas, who was present, the 9 September session was especially spirited: “While Paul was doing his vocal, George Harrison had set fire to an ashtray and was running around the studio with it above his head, doing an Arthur Brown.” Starr’s recollection is less detailed, but agrees in spirit: “‘Helter Skelter’ was a track we did in total madness and hysterics in the studio. Sometimes you just had to shake out the jams.“

Helter Skelter on The Beatles Chronology 2. "Helter Skelter" is a song written by Paul McCartney, credited to Lennon/McCartney, and recorded by The Beatles o...

some sources erroneously credit the "blisters" line to Lennon due to the fact that in the video he can be seen screaming at the end

Comment

• Ive read that Ringo said his hands were literally bleeding by the end of that.

Comment

• This draft is interfering with my lazing about.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  This draft is interfering with my lazing about.
                  It's not a Sunday afternoon...

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                    It's not a Sunday afternoon...
                    I think my neighbors realize that when I lose track of time.

Comment

• "21st Century Schizoid Man" is yet another that should have been on my list.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Is this like a fantasy draft where it's taboo to mention a name that hasn't been selected yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Is this like a fantasy draft where it's taboo to mention a name that hasn't been selected yet?
                          Considering the vastness of songs available and the lack of stakes involved, probably not.

Comment

Is this like a fantasy draft where it's taboo to mention a name that hasn't been selected yet?
                            Yeah ... I suppose. Though this is more casual than usual ... that is, there's less opportunity for DMT to snipe my picks.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                              Considering the vastness of songs available and the lack of stakes involved, probably not.
                              And the diversity of taste as well....

I'm surprised Sweet Home Alabama has not been chosen

Comment

There are at least five more artists that I'm shocked have not been picked yet.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X