The RJ 1000: The top 1000 rock classics of all time Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    Can't say I'd ever heard "Golden Brown" until seeing Snatch - super catchy tune.
    Well then I have heard it but didn't recall it.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• So is "All Day and All of the Night" still available?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Well then I have heard it but didn't recall it.
        It's when Mickey takes the fall in the boxing match

Edit: Seems that it's been too long since I've rewatched - it's when Mickey takes down the big fella when he wasn't supposed to

Comment

• Never Been any Reason is excellent!
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Is Golden Brown a known song stateside? It's pretty iconic here ... but The Stranglers were never a huge band here, so I don't imagine they made an impact in the US.

This song is famous for getting lots of airplay, including prime time TV ... that was before they found out it's about taking heroin.
            I cant recall ever hearing of the Stranglers. Will have to dig deeper.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              I cant recall ever hearing of the Stranglers. Will have to dig deeper.
              They were a raucous late 70's punk band ... with a reputation for being wild. Golden brown might not be representative of their other work ...

Comment

• You stole Marquee Moon from near the top of my list ... nice pick!

Comment

• Nooooooooo!!!!! I sat on Head East too long!!!!
                  What a great tune!!!
                  If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• By the same token, I'm pretty bummed I missed out on "Everybody Wants to Rule the World". Pretty sure I got sniped on that one during the decades draft as well.

Comment

• I've been listening to a lot of 1980's music this week ... my Youtube recommendations are going to be screwed up for the next 2 months!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        I've been listening to a lot of 1980's music this week ... my Youtube recommendations are going to be screwed up for the next 2 months!
                        I started notating the years of my picks and I was shocked how many 80s songs I've picked.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                          By the same token, I'm pretty bummed I missed out on "Everybody Wants to Rule the World". Pretty sure I got sniped on that one during the decades draft as well.
                          I saw them a few years ago and it's one of the best concerts I've ever seen.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Interesting -- didn't imagine them being a great live band. The bridge in "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" remains an all-time great.

Comment

Saw them a handful of years ago as well since they were part of KROQ's "Almost Acoustic Christmas". While they weren't even in the top 5 bands I was interested in seeing that night they did play a hell of a set. "Shout" is one of my least favorite songs from that era but everything else they played was pretty killer.

Comment

• Going to bed to continue re-reading Dune ... won't have time for another pick ... have fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X